“The Location is STUNNING ! BUT......................”
Review of Beach Hotel Du Lac

Beach Hotel Du Lac
Ranked #18 of 71 Hotels in Malcesine
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
“The Location is STUNNING ! BUT......................”
Reviewed August 25, 2013

Just back after 2 weeks half board at the Hotel Du Lac, having booked with a well known British Tour Company and paying over 2.5K for the Holiday.
First off the setting and location are Stunning, the Staff are excellent and the hotel is the cleanest hotel I have ever stayed in, the Food was also Very Good (we ate in 10 nights out of our booked 14 it was so good ) The pool area was also very clean and well tended and I must also say, never busy.
Sorry but that's all the Good bits, my wife and I felt we were treated as the "Brits on a Package Holiday", so don't bother with them ! The first problem was our room, we were advised that it would have a Pool View and not a lake view, which was fair enough but as you can see from our photos, we had a very restricted view of the CAR PARK ! Our Brochure also stated that the Hotel did not accept bookings for Children. This was one of the main reasons we booked it as our "Children" are all grown up now and we Don't want to Holiday with other Peoples Children, that said we counted 24 Children with ages of 5 months to 14 years staying at the Hotel over the 2 weeks we were there (It would seem the Hotel do not object if the Kids are German ! )
Then there were the Dogs, yes, DOGS ! you may not believe me but I actually like Dogs.............But not when I'm eating, Not in the Restaurant , Not Barking, Growling and even on one occasion, BEING SICK ! Needless to say all of the Dogs belonged to Germans, I complained to the Manager, especially when the Collie Dog Vomited in the Restaurant, only to be told with a Shrug of his Shoulders that the Dog was ill ! ! ! ! , Personally I Blame the owners and the Hotel Management, Not the Dogs in Question. we really did not appreciate the company of the Dogs or Noisy, Badly behaved Children at Breakfast and Dinner................so be aware, they will be there even if your Brochure makes no reference to them.
The final straw was that the room we had was advertised as having Satellite TV, Well it did, there were 8 Italian Channels (No surprise there as we were in Italy) but there were also 7 German Channels, the only "English" Speaking Channel was CNN News, and we all know how irritating that can be after Ten Mins ! Now I couldn't really understand this, as the "HUGE" TV in the Restaurant when it was switched on actually had SKY News showing on it (to be fair the volume was turned off but it was SKY News ! )..........so again I approached the Management and asked it there were any "English Speaking" TV Channels on the TV in my Room, only to be told "NO" when I asked if the SKY News , (which was on the TV at the point I was speaking to the management on the subject) could be viewed in my room, I was also told "NO" and the manager then walked away from me and ignored me for the rest of the Holiday.
Well, that's my Rant over, I'm taking up my Complaint with Thomson. The only other thing I will say though is that all of the other previous Comments about the Seating Pecking Order in the Restaurant on an evening are So So True, the Arrogance of the Management and the ANTI British undertone my wife and I felt for the whole 2 weeks have left us both feeling totally Fed up and mislead by Our Holiday Company. I have still marked this Hotel as Very Good, purely due to it's Location, cleanliness, Great Staff and Good Food, Shame about the Management and their attitude and discrimination !

Room Tip: Pay the extra Money and get a Lake View Room, you are then also entitled to a better seat in the Res...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
6 Thank DaveandShaz

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (59)
UK
Reviewed August 24, 2013

The Hotel du Lac is a pleasant well run hotel right on the side of Lake Garda about a 5 to 10 minute walk from Malcesine. The dinning room where the continental breakfast and dinner is served looks over the lakes a has a lovely view of the castle. I would recommend rooms on the lake side for which there is an understandable premium, not only are the views better but the other side of the hotel faces the main lake road and may be noisy, certainly the pool and gardens, whilst attractive are nothing to grandeur of the lake and hills on the lake side. You can choose if you want to take the half board on a daily basis after seeing the menu, which is great, on nights we liked what was on offer we eat in the hotel and when didn't we could eat in one of Malcesine many excellent restaurants.

Room Tip: Always pay for the lake view.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank CD
North Yorkshire, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 4, 2013

Regular visitor to Lake Garda and Malcesine provides an impresive vista of lake, mountains, architecture and sunsets. Du Lac is ideally situated on the lake and provides an impressive backdrop to a relaxing holiday.

Easy access by car and adequate parking. Great views from room balcony and restaurant terrace. Rooms are modern and efficient, though the beds a little hard for my taste. Unless you are anticipating a 'full english' on a daily basis, the breakfast is more than adequate and the one occasion we dined on an evening, the food was both good and exceptional value. Drinks are reasonably priced also and the terrace bar is an ideal spot for a night cap.

Given temperatures in the mid 90's, the hotel is a 20 min (enjoyable) stroll to the centre and ideally placed to explore the north end of the lake. Exclusive jetty makes a lake swim ideal and we enjoyed the kayak (small charge). The pool at the rear of the hotel provides an alternative haven, especially if the lake is windy (quite typical) first thing.

A final thanks to the warm welcome we received from all the staff and a special mention for the attention we received on the day of a family birthday. More than happy to recommend a stay.

Room Tip: Most rooms have lake view but make sure you have one
3 Thank JnJ_ontour
Gillingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 3, 2013

Stayed at the Beach Hotel Du Lac for 7 nights mid July and what can I say, it was just absolutely lovely, the location, the hotel, the staff, the food everything. We travelled by train from the UK to Lake Garda via Milan and we were picked up (and returned) from Rovereto by a pre-arranged taxi through the hotel who took care of that, Deborah was very helpful in anything you needed to know, yes some information books are in German, but so what, just ask the staff they are more than helpful in getting you somewhere or giving you information. Renato the Director is lovely and so are all the other staff, they go out of their way to make sure you are happy. Breakfast is more continental, after all you are in Europe not England and was lovely. We stayed on a bed and breakfast basis in the 5th floor honeymoon suite which is a room alone on the 5th floor (you have to climb one floor of stairs from the 4th floor lift access) but don't let that put you off as the views from the balcony with chairs, table and sunloungers is spectacular. The bedroom itself is large with a great shower room. The mini bar is reasonably priced if you get thirsty. We did eat a few times in the hotel in the evening sometimes off the set EUR 13.00 priced menu per person and sometimes from the a la carte. The fixed price menu is for 5 courses including salad buffet and antipasti but the only thing I would say is be careful if you order part fixed menu and part a la carte as they will still charge you the full 13 euros for the fixed price plus the price of what you order from the a la carte but the food was so nice we didn't really care and the gala night is something not to be missed which they hold once a week and give the tasting drinks menu a go, very interesting! It was also our 10th wedding anniversary and my husband only mentioned it to them to surprise me with a dessert decoration and they gave us a glass of prosecco each and some flower decoration on the table and lovely wording on the dessert and a specially created card for our anniversary, which really really was lovely and so kind of them. The location is so beautiful, about a 10-15 minute walk along the lake front path which is accessed through the bar/restaurant terrace into town. We noticed the bar along the way which somebody refers to in these reviews but to be honest we didn't take any notice of it much and you can only hear it faintly from the hotel. There is also a private jetty on the shingle beach where you sunbath and go down steps into the lake and swim. We used the pool which is at the back of the hotel a few times and was lovely also a hot tub there as well and plenty of sunloungers. The hotel itself is clean and modern interiors (air conditioning in room) and yes the lift can be a little slow but then again it can be quick, just pot luck really. Overall such a lovely stay would love to go back and would not hesitate in recommending this hotel to anybody looking to stay in beautiful Malcesine, they really do look after you and get to know you and you're not just another hotel guest.

Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 29, 2013

My partner and I stayed 4 days at the Hotel Du Lac at the end of July. Renato (Director) and his team give professional and friendly customer service with the added benefit of the hotel itself being absolutely lovely. Its location is just perfect, with views of the lake, Malcesine and the mountains just breathtaking. We stayed half board; the meals hit just the right spot, each one taken with the lake just yards away. We loved the way the mountain view changed colour throughout the day as the sun moved around. The hotel is modern with air conditioning with the interior design lending itself to the exterior majestic location. Our room was just lovely, with everything one needs, the balcony had both loungers and chairs. You can take a dip either in the hotel pool or the lake, both yards away. The town centre is a 10-15 minute gentle stroll along the promanade, the only problem we had was that we hadn't booked a longer stay. Well done Renato and team.

Room Tip: Rooms with a lake view, the higher floors give a more panoramic view.
2 Thank lady306
Reviewed July 29, 2013 via mobile

Me and my wife stayed here for two weeks.
The location is absolutely fantastic as it it's right on the lake and only a short but very peaceful walk into town!
The rooms ar very clean and have everything you would need.
The food is really good although we only ate at the restaurant four times it was allways to a really good standered.
The staff are very helpfull and polite.
Overall I would defonatly recommend this hotel and me and my wife are already looking at booking again next summer!!!

Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Mccash1984
Dundee, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 28, 2013

Probably the nicest setting in Malcesine. Far enough away from the town to be quiet but not too far as to make it a long hike.
Although Malcesine looks the same it has changed quite a bit since the last time we were there, The harbour area is now quite noisy at nights with loud music blaring. In my opinion it didn't quite suit the setting.
Many of the hotels around the lakes in Italy have Classic style rooms but the Du Lac's rooms are in a more modern contemporary style which was a nice change. The pool area didn't appeal to us much but it didn't bother us as were not interested in laying about a pool all day.
There was plenty of parking and the staff were pleasant.
If I had to complain about anything it was the slow lift. Being disabled using a lift is quite handy but I had to give up on it as almost every time I tried to use it it never arrived and I ended up climbing the stairs. Quite strange as there are not many floors in the Du Lac.
The breakfast was ok but nothing write home about.
Would I stay at the Du Lac again?....aye, I guess I would but unless the tourist board in Malcesine does something about the crappy music blaring out around the harbour I wont be back, it may appeal to some folk but it didn't do anything for us.

2 Thank fflyingfish