“Lovely hotel, friendly staff, fab location”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Hotel Garni Ischia

Hotel Garni Ischia
Ranked #14 of 70 Hotels in Malcesine
Buckinghamshire
“Lovely hotel, friendly staff, fab location”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 18, 2012

This hotel is the cleaniest I have ever stayed in! Sheets and towels were spotless as well as all facilities. My Uncle was getting married at the castle so we stayed here. Great location and fabulous views from the hotel. A real authentic Italian feel. Short walk to the town but a lovely experience taking in all the local buildings, orchards and people. The pool was delightful with plenty of seating around the outside although there were a few greedy people up at the crack of dawn with their towels to claim their recliners. The staff were very helpful, we would often stay and eat lunch at the small eating area to the rear of the building. Bar was great with very generous servings and unbeatable prices. The ice cream was AMAZING! The staff could do only but please. The room was air conditioned with a small private terrace and a lovely shower and restroom also. I would highly recommend staying here if you are looking for somewhere within Malcesine. The only downfall was the distance from the airport but that is no reflection on the service etc from the hotel. Will come again.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank SunSeaAndMe

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
Leeds
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 12, 2012

I stayed here with my husband and my mum and dad as my brother was getting married at the castle so we booked the flight and hotel seperately to avoid paying for a package deal. So glad we did as we felt we experienced the proper Italy in this lovely little family run hotel. It's a great location for the centre and not too far to walk to. The rooms are very clean with a good sized bathroom and air con. Our room (number 9) had a great view of the Lake and Castle which was superb to see whilst sat out on our veranda on an evening. The hotel also has a lovely pool which was very quiet, myself and my husband had it to ourselves on one of the days. The breakfast is great with help yourself facilities to pate, fresh homemade bread, cereals, fruit etc, everything you need really. The staff are so lovely, especially the hotel manager Bertuzzi who went out of his way to give me and my family lifts into the centre on the morning of my brother's wedding as it was throwing it down, rather than letting us order taxis, what a lovely guy! Would stay here again.

Room Tip: Choose a room on the top floor if you want a great view of the Lake and Castle (room number 9 if pos...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Reeny1980
Manchester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 9, 2012

My girlfriend and I stayed here on the last leg of our tour of the north of Italy. This place has everything that makes a great hotel great. A warm welcome, nice room, balcony, air con, great view from the window, great level of cleanliness, good breakfast, a pool, and a bar! It's 5-10 mins walk from the cable car station to go up Monte Baldo as well which is good. The owner was very accommodating and let me store my soya milk in his fridge which he then served to me every breakfast time (I'm Lactose intolerant) He also dropped us off at the shuttle bus when we were due to leave. I would definitely stay here again if I ever go back to Malcesine.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Leeds
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 7, 2012

Just got back from a few days away, been to our son's wedding in Malcesine. The hotel was great, very nice people, really friendly and efficient. Rooms were lovely and clean, the breakfast was really enjoyable. The hotel is just a short walk from town, in a fantastic location, we felt like we were experiencing real rustic country charm, not just some package deal. I would recommend a room on the 1st or 2nd floor as the views of the lake and mountains were superb . On the day of the wedding, it was a bit rainy, we wanted to order a taxi to take us to town, but the manager/owner, Bertuzzi, just got his car and dropped us off. He'd done the same earlier for my daughter who was a bridesmaid. What a great guy. Would certainly go back.
John, Leeds.

Room Tip: 1st or 2nd floor for views
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank JoCoLeeds
Nottingham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 30, 2012

Stayed here August 2010. 10/10 on service, food, cleanliness. Homemade breads of different types served daily were amazing! Super helpful staff.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
London
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 9, 2012

Stayed here a couple of years ago...the hotel was clinically clean & run but the rooms although spotless were stuck in the 1970s. Also found in the late evening we were locked in! with the receptionist having gone home immediately after the last guests arrived home....Hopefully their emergency contingency plan deals with this scenario.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Madge89
Jokela Finland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 31, 2012

Just got back from Malcesine and had a wonderful time! It was my 40th Bday get-away-trip together with my husband, son (19 yrs.) and parents-in-law. We made travel plans early ahead and when I read the reviews of Garni Ischia on Tripadvisor I was convinced that this would be our hotel. I sent email to the hotel asking if they had rooms available. The response: "Our official opening day for summer season is March 29 but I can open the hotel a few days earlier for you." My request was for March 23-30 so this amazing staff (family of Bertuzzi) opened up the hotel a week earlier for us!!!! I think that was really special!!!!

Garni Ischia is a B&B hotel that provides excellent customer care. It's personalized, attentive, friendly and helpful. There was not a single issue which was not taken care of if we had any concerns. Like WiFi - they have WiFi downstairs in the bar area only. It is not available elsewhere but Massimo (staff member) did his very best to provide us WiFi in the top floor room balcony. He said that the antenna was close to that balcony and so we managed to use WiFi in room 10 & 11. I don't know how it would work in other rooms. But the effort - again - was superb.

Breakfast is served every morning from 7 am - 10 am. However, since we were the only guests staying at the hotel (on the 1st night) Massimo asked what time we would prefer to have breakfast. We agreed that 9 am would be good and the next morning when we went downstairst to have breakfast everything was ready for us. They serve ham, cheese, eggs (boiled, scrambled or fried), toast, dark break, break rolls, cake, apricot pie, peanut butter, margarine, butter, different kinds of jams, cereal, fresh fruit and fruit salad, coffee, hot chocolate, juices and different kinds of yoghurts. Maybe I forgot something, but overall it was very adequate and tasteful. Every morning we left with our stomachs very full and ready to conquer Malcesine and rest of Lake Garda.

We had two rooms (top floor 10 & 11) and both were with balcony and MAGNIFICENT view to the lake and Malcesine castle. I believe these rooms were the best in the hotel! My parents-in-law are smokers so they liked to have a balcony where smoking was permitted. I think they could have even smoked in the room but they didn't. Our room was for 3 adults and we all had comfortable beds. The air conditioning/heating system is very advanced. We noticed that every time we open the balcony door the air conditioning/heating system went off. It would have been waste of energy to have it on if the door to the balcony was open. There is a shower corner in the room and toiletries. We spotted few little ants on the bathroom floor but it was ok - nothing disastrous - since it was more of countryside than big city. The only thing we did miss in the room was fridge. Even a small one would have been nice.

Garni Ischia has a small pool and pool chairs/rest beds. Since we were there before the actual tourist season we had the pool to ourselves but I can imagine that the pool might be crowded during the peak season. Outside garden with olive trees is nice and charming. It is great to sit on the terrace and admire the peaks on the other side of the lake and enjoy a beer. Very relaxing.

Parking is complimentary:-) There is no elevator but we didn't mind.

The best thing about this hotel is CUSTOMER SERVICE! On my birthday (March 26) my husband wanted to get a cake for me and had some trouble finding a bakery and organizing the surprise dinner for me. He presented the problem to Massimo and he helped immediately and started to fix everything. He only had 2 days to put everything together and what really made it challenging was the fact that many places were still clesed. For example the cable car up to Mt. Monte Baldo was closed. But nothing was impossible for Massimo and his staff. I ended up having a very memorable bday and a delicious strawberry creal cake. I think it was the best tasting cake ever!

Hotel is situated a short walk away from the "city" center. The location is very good and if you plan to go to funivia (the cable car ride) Garni Ischia is very convenient.

I warmly recommend this hotel to anybody who appreciates good quality in customer service!

Room Tip: Rooms 10 & 11 have the best view to the lake!
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with family