“1970s basic”
Review of Hotel Garni Ischia

Hotel Garni Ischia
Ranked #17 of 71 Hotels in Malcesine
Reviewed April 9, 2012

Stayed here a couple of years ago...the hotel was clinically clean & run but the rooms although spotless were stuck in the 1970s. Also found in the late evening we were locked in! with the receptionist having gone home immediately after the last guests arrived home....Hopefully their emergency contingency plan deals with this scenario.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Madge89

Reviewed March 31, 2012

Just got back from Malcesine and had a wonderful time! It was my 40th Bday get-away-trip together with my husband, son (19 yrs.) and parents-in-law. We made travel plans early ahead and when I read the reviews of Garni Ischia on Tripadvisor I was convinced that this would be our hotel. I sent email to the hotel asking if they had rooms available. The response: "Our official opening day for summer season is March 29 but I can open the hotel a few days earlier for you." My request was for March 23-30 so this amazing staff (family of Bertuzzi) opened up the hotel a week earlier for us!!!! I think that was really special!!!!

Garni Ischia is a B&B hotel that provides excellent customer care. It's personalized, attentive, friendly and helpful. There was not a single issue which was not taken care of if we had any concerns. Like WiFi - they have WiFi downstairs in the bar area only. It is not available elsewhere but Massimo (staff member) did his very best to provide us WiFi in the top floor room balcony. He said that the antenna was close to that balcony and so we managed to use WiFi in room 10 & 11. I don't know how it would work in other rooms. But the effort - again - was superb.

Breakfast is served every morning from 7 am - 10 am. However, since we were the only guests staying at the hotel (on the 1st night) Massimo asked what time we would prefer to have breakfast. We agreed that 9 am would be good and the next morning when we went downstairst to have breakfast everything was ready for us. They serve ham, cheese, eggs (boiled, scrambled or fried), toast, dark break, break rolls, cake, apricot pie, peanut butter, margarine, butter, different kinds of jams, cereal, fresh fruit and fruit salad, coffee, hot chocolate, juices and different kinds of yoghurts. Maybe I forgot something, but overall it was very adequate and tasteful. Every morning we left with our stomachs very full and ready to conquer Malcesine and rest of Lake Garda.

We had two rooms (top floor 10 & 11) and both were with balcony and MAGNIFICENT view to the lake and Malcesine castle. I believe these rooms were the best in the hotel! My parents-in-law are smokers so they liked to have a balcony where smoking was permitted. I think they could have even smoked in the room but they didn't. Our room was for 3 adults and we all had comfortable beds. The air conditioning/heating system is very advanced. We noticed that every time we open the balcony door the air conditioning/heating system went off. It would have been waste of energy to have it on if the door to the balcony was open. There is a shower corner in the room and toiletries. We spotted few little ants on the bathroom floor but it was ok - nothing disastrous - since it was more of countryside than big city. The only thing we did miss in the room was fridge. Even a small one would have been nice.

Garni Ischia has a small pool and pool chairs/rest beds. Since we were there before the actual tourist season we had the pool to ourselves but I can imagine that the pool might be crowded during the peak season. Outside garden with olive trees is nice and charming. It is great to sit on the terrace and admire the peaks on the other side of the lake and enjoy a beer. Very relaxing.

Parking is complimentary:-) There is no elevator but we didn't mind.

The best thing about this hotel is CUSTOMER SERVICE! On my birthday (March 26) my husband wanted to get a cake for me and had some trouble finding a bakery and organizing the surprise dinner for me. He presented the problem to Massimo and he helped immediately and started to fix everything. He only had 2 days to put everything together and what really made it challenging was the fact that many places were still clesed. For example the cable car up to Mt. Monte Baldo was closed. But nothing was impossible for Massimo and his staff. I ended up having a very memorable bday and a delicious strawberry creal cake. I think it was the best tasting cake ever!

Hotel is situated a short walk away from the "city" center. The location is very good and if you plan to go to funivia (the cable car ride) Garni Ischia is very convenient.

I warmly recommend this hotel to anybody who appreciates good quality in customer service!

Room Tip: Rooms 10 & 11 have the best view to the lake!
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank finnishJokelaFinland
Reviewed February 6, 2012

This is a good basic clean hotel. Lovely eating area and nice pool. Bit of a walk into the main centre. Had no complaints though. Would stay again.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed December 29, 2011

Won't repeat all of the details of whats already been said here other than we agree with all the positive reviews.
Location is great, views over Malcesine castle from 2nd floor room is fab, very near cable car to top of Mt Baldo.
Family run hotel with friendly atmoshere and great breakfasts.
Nice pool, good rates and Malcesine is the easily the best location on Lake Garda.
Go to Malcesine and stay here when you do - you won't regret it !

Room Tip: request higher floor for larger rooms with view of castle
  • Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank Alan_Eg
Reviewed November 30, 2011

Myself and my friend arrived in Massimos's hotel at 10;30pm,tired after a long day travelling from Ireland.We were greeted by a most friendly host[who had arranged our transfer from the airport] and revived with some well deserved drinks.Our room was spotlessly clean and spacious but the" piece de resistance" was the balcony with a stunning view of Malcesine and Lake Garda.Breakfast was simple but delicious and Massimo and his wife were very obliging and attentive to all their guests. The pool area is small but extremely clean with very very comfortable sun loungers,quiet and lovely area to relax.Afternoon vino was delicious and Massimo's Mama took very good care of her guests.On our departure she presented us with two little wine jugs,a souvenir of our lovely stay in Massimo's place, a very thoughtful gesture.I would highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with friends
2  Thank 58maryk
Reviewed November 20, 2011

We have great memories of a lovely holiday here in June. Everything - from our collection from the town centre to our departure - was done with great efficiency and friendliness. Our room was comfortable, the pool a great advantage, and breakfasts a treat. We were made to feel very welcome, and nothing was too much trouble. Massimo's response to every request or query was "no problem!" We have no hesitation in recommending Hotel Garni Ischia to anyone wanting to explore Malcesine and Lake Garda.

John & Katherine Mannel

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 17, 2011

My husband and I got married in Malcesine in 2009 and absolutely love the place. We chose to stay at Hotel Garni Ischia due to the great reviews on here and also the location.
We were not disappointed at all. We had a fantastic stay at the hotel. It is family run so is very friendly and not at all pretentious. Our bedroom overlooked the lake and the castle (where we got married), which was perfect.
Breakfast was a buffet with plenty of food to fill yourself up on!
The hotel is located about 5 minutes from the cable car and about 10 minutes from the town centre. It is an easy walk so would suit people of all abilities.
My husband and I will definitely be staying at Hotel Garni Ischia next time we visit Malcesine.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple