Hotel Augusta
  • Pool
$270
$251
$178
All reviewscable caroutdoor poolair conopen air terraceeuros per nightlake gardaa mountain view roomlovely hotelbreakfast was buffet styleshower roombooked this hotellight sleeperclean hoteljacuzzicastleviewstown
Reviewed September 5, 2010

The Hotel Augusta is situated next to the cable car base station that takes you to the top of Monte Baldo which is popular with walkers, mountain bikers, those that just want to explore and for the more adventurous those that wish to hang glide. The cable car operates silently and is of recent build climbing some 1650 metres. The second stage cable car rotates through 360 degrees for all to see the panoramic view.
The hotel is a short walk from the town centre with its many restaurants, shops, and the port where you can catch a boat destined for the other Lake Garda towns. Fish from Lake features on many menus but a full variety of Italian and continental food is available at many price levels.
The Hotel Augusta is a clean well run hotel and we found the manager and staff very sociable and helpful. We stayed in the newly built "Villa" which is a separate three storey building next to the hotel with all rooms offering a lake view in line with Malcesine's castle (Scaligero Castle). Rooms are of fair size with good beds and a separate shower en-suite. Air conditioning runs from 6.30pm to 6.30am for an additional charge of six Euros per night which we found was well worth the expense. In the Villa rooms as standard have a wall mounted satellite television, hair dryer, fridge and a safe but note you do not have a kettle so if like us you want to have a cup of tea on the room balcony you will need to pack a travel kettle. There are two Spar supermarkets and many other independent shops in the town for you to buy other provisions.
The Hotel Augusta is very secure and clean with the maids servicing the room each day.
We found the buffet style continental breakfast held each morning either inside or outside on the patio or terrace each morning to be first rate as we wanted to get away from English food. At other times of the day food in the hotel is limited but remember that the shops and an excellent restaurant with a pizza takeaway (Ristoro) are only a short walk.
Be prepared for walking and sudden changes in weather due to the mountain location - we did not take any warm weather clothing but a shower proof jacket is advisable. Luckily we did take pakamacs so when it did rain for a few days during our holiday we were prepared.
The air is clean and fresh and the scenery stunning - simply stop and get a drink in one of the many restaurants, cafes or bars and just people watch.
The hotel has a pool which goes from shallow to deep steeply and a whirlpool bath which operates on the hour. There is a small gym with a sauna and steam room.
I would recommend the hotel which is peaceful (there is a school located close to the hotel but this did not bother us) clean, and a good base from which to explore.
Note that our child is aged twelve so just under the teenage years but I guess if you are considering this holiday and hotel you will already have taken what this destination offers into account.
We thoroughly enjoyed our holiday at this hotel and would return another year.

Stayed: August 2010, traveled with family
4  Thank HappyTrailsOne
Reviewed July 27, 2010

Stayed for one week and thought good value and situation. 5mins walk into Malchesine, which has a good selection of eating places many of which overlook the harbour and Lake, very romantic. Reasonable priced food e.g. Pizza and a beer for less than 10 euros with a view of the harbour! The hotel had a small pool, mini gym and a fabulous breakfast. Be warned you have to pay for air con 6 euros /night, no fridge in room and the road at the side of the hotel was noisy early am. Recommend ear plugs!! Pay extra for. mountain/lake view it is worth it.We went with holiday company for Lakes and mountains, whose rep led an expedition up Monte Baldo ( quite arduous) and then the cable car down - what an experience that was!! Fabulously led by Valerie a day never to be forgotten.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled as a couple
2  Thank AnnJonesCT
Reviewed July 14, 2010

We stayed here because our daughter was getting married in the castle. There were 6 of us in all including the bride and groom. They had a very large balcony room, but ours was pretty small and would have been worse without the balcony to escape onto! Eventhough I knew about the air conditioning being selected times it was still hard not to be able to use it when you wanted. That aside I have to say that we found the staff lovely and the food and facilities adequate. I even got wished happy birthday by the owner on my birthday, also the wedding day. All in all it was a nice place to stay and the resort old and quaint, but definately not for party animals or children! Also had to wear flat shoes all the time due to the cobble streets.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled with family
2  Thank Catherinec58
Reviewed June 21, 2010

I have to disagree with the previous review regarding the hotel not liking children, we did not find this the case. We were a group of 11 with 2 children aged 6 & 11 and Martino the manager could not have been nicer. The continental breakfast was really nice, plenty of choice & you could have as much as you liked. Especially loved the fresh bread.
The location was ideal, just a slight incline up by the cable car. One of our party was in her eighties & she had no problem with the walk. The rooms were very clean and apart from the room in the basement all had good views. The only downside is if you are a light sleeper like me there was quite a lot of road noise due to being on the main road by the cable car , but no one else in our party was bothered by it. The deluxe apartment was especially nice & my daughter stayed in our room the night before her wedding & all the photos taken on the balcony are breathtaking.
The pool area is really nice although there was a little bit of noise from a local school next door. The only thing that I would say is not so good is the prices of the soft drinks from the bar which are very expensive & can add up pretty quickly, But we had the most fantastic time & would stay here again when we go back to Malcesine.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled with friends
1  Thank IDOH
Reviewed October 14, 2009

This is the first time I have left a review as I wouldn't normally bother but I feel so strongly about the manner in which the owners and Manager behaved during our stay I really think people ought to be aware before they book this hotel.
I would normally complain directly to the hotel but as it is a family run hotel and it is the family who were the problem during our stay I don't really see the point!
A large group of us visited this hotel in August for my sister's wedding in Malcesine (which was beautiful by the way). We all wanted to stay in the same hotel therefore we booked 5 rooms altogether.
On arrival we were given the third degree about the hotel not being used to such a large group of people (there were 5 families, 10 adults, 9 children, ranging in age from 2 years to 14 years old) and how we had to keep the children under control so as not to disturb any other guests. My son who is 12 was accused of being nasty to the hotel cat. We proved that the cat was nowhere near him as it was outside at the time but we did not receive an apology. This was before we had even checked in! Funnily enough later on during our stay my mum witness the lady owner kick the cat out of the restaurant!
We were being watched constantly whether it be by the pool or at breakfast - the feeling that yours or the kids every move is being watched is not condusive to a relaxed & freindly stay!
There was another incident by the swimming pool where the lady owner had a go at my nephew, she was very rude and abrupt. Not behaviour which I deem to be acceptable to guests, particularly children. I am not one of those people who believe our children are angels but they really weren't doing anything other than being children and enjoying themselves. We would not allow them to do anything which would disturb or annoy anyone else.
The hotel claims it is family run and friendly but I think this only applies if you are over 50 years old as we certainly didn't experience it.
Considering it cost us 188 euros per night bed and breakfast and the breakfast was nothing to write home about, not even a croissant in sight I feel it is a lot of money, particularly for a 3 star hotel. I personally would expect a much higher standard for the amount they were charging. Unfortunately we didn't have a lot of choice as we found it very difficult to find somewhere which could accomodate all of us and the added bonus was that it had a swimming pool for the children.
People I have spoken to since returning home who have visited Italy on several occasions have said we were ripped off, whether we were or not I do not know.

The room we were in wasn't up to much, we were in the main part of the building where reception is and it is a bit dated and tired to say the least. I am not a big person (of average size) but I couldn't even walk out of our shower, I had to turn sideways it was so small. The rest of my family were in the new building next door which was much nicer and more spacious. Having said that I still think 188 euros per night is a lot of money.

At the end of the day we would not return to this hotel and I would not recommend it to people with children. It's a real shame because it was our first ever visit to Italy and it has really put us off as we are left with the feeling that the people are just not very friendly.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled with family