“Paradise”

and 1 more site!
Hotel Astoria
Ranked #17 of 71 Hotels in Malcesine
Reviewed September 20, 2013

My husband and I have just returned from Hotel Astoria and we have had the most wonderful stay here. Where do I start, there isn't anything really to fault. The hotel staff work tirelessly to make sure your are comfortable, nothing is too much trouble, everywhere is spotless. Daniel, Valentino and Renata seemed to be everywhere, they served in the restaurant, served in the bar and watched reception at times, they never stopped. Helena and her family were very hospitable and made sure our stay was perfect. Breakfast was continental and had a good selection of everything, the scrambled eggs were particularly lush. Evening meal was a four course affair and although each course was just the right amount you never went away feeling less than full. The meals were beautiful. The hotel itself is ideally situated opposite the lake on the road side, we enjoyed a 30 to 40 minute walk every day to and from Malcesine which is a beautiful village, I already have my sights set on returning to renew our wedding vows for our 20th anniversary at the castle in the village. The only thing that could have been a problem if I was being honest, on our first night, we were asked if another couple could join us at our dining table, the table was then allocated to us for the week, breakfast and dinner as were the other couple, as it turned out, we got on like an house on fire and we will stay friends for a very long time. However I could see how some couples might find this intrusive. We met a lot of lovely people and I think that is testament to the ambiance the owners have created it is a very friendly well run hotel and I would recommend anyone trying it.

Room Tip: We stayed in room 112 on the first level with a huge balcony and the sun was on the balcony from 2pm...
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank debzo41

Reviewed September 14, 2013

We have recently returned from a weeks holiday here and must say its been one of the best holidays i can remember. The views from the Hotel are stunning as is the whole area we could not fault it. Hotel is clean with friendly helpful staff, swimming pool area clean and very peaceful. Meals are good and there is a lovely pizza place to have a meal and a drink just outside the hotel and to the right. A good base for exploring the area and a lovely walk along the lakefront into the centre if you dont mind a walk but there is a tourist bus that stops just outside the hotel and only cost 1Euro. We would definately go back to this hotel again if we were to visit the area again.

2  Thank Sally D
Reviewed September 12, 2013

On the last day of out holiday at this hotel on the shores of the lake. the hotel is a good quality three star with excellent access to the lake which is just across the road. The front of the hotel has Excellent views across the lake and the rear overlooks a nice sunbathing area and well kept pool and garden area. The hotel is clean and tidy though the strange custom of putting your used napkin from your evening meal in an envelope to use for the following days does not appear to me to be very good. If you can not wash them just provide a paper one.
The breakfast is a basic continental style. There is a limited choice of fruit, just tinned fruit cocktail.Some fresh fruit would have been nice.
Evening meal is served as three courses with a salad bar for part of the week as an extra option.The quality of food is basic with over boiled veg and small portions of meat or fish. If you are looking for good home cooking this is not the place for you.
The rooms are small but ok and the staff keep them clean and tidy.
The area around is very quite with a few resturants dotted along the road. They serve food and do expect you to order a meal so going out for a drink can meet with some negative looks though they will provide drinks but without a smile. the bus service in the evening is a bit hit and miss so it is difficult to get into town. yOu can walk in which takes between thirty and forty minutes. Taxis are rare and expensive.
All in all a pleasant stay. One for those who want to relax and take in the views.

Room Tip: They respond better to any request from the German guests so if you can converse in german give it a...
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank ken G
Reviewed August 28, 2013

Hi - we have just returned from a 7 day holiday in this hotel. We booked it through Thomas Cook and I have to say the whole holiday was a wonderful experience. The hotel Astoria is a superb place to base your holiday in. So what did we particulary like about the hotel?
1) The views from the rooms are simply stunning.
2) All of the staff are really friendly and attentive. We particulary loved the young lady on reception whom did her best to improve our Italian and was really good fun.
3) The hotel is immaculately clean and the staff work particularly hard on this aspect of the business.
4) The rooms are a good size and well equipped with comfy beds and lots of hot water in the shower.
5) The pool area is beautiful and there was never any problem sourcing a sun lounger - no dashing down at dawn with your towel here!
6) The food. Breakfast is self service with loads of choices. Evening meal is waiter service and comprises of four courses (salad bar, antipasta, main course and sweet). We found all the meals to be well cooked, well presented and very tasty
7) Location. Malcesine is wonderful, but the hotel is just far enough out of the main area to be away from the noise.

Things you might like to know

1) Each room has a safe, so if you wish to store passports and spare cash safely in your room you can do (5 euros and 20 euro returnable deposit)
2) All drinks with evening meals go on your room tab which you pay at the end - but you have to pay in cash so ensure you have enough left at the end of the holiday!
3) There is a lovely pool bar which is great for drinks. The choice of food is limited to sandwiches, but for an alternative go out of main gates, turn right, past minimarket and there is a great little pizzeria.
4) Walk to Malcesine is about 35 to 40 mins along side of lake, but there is tourist bus which stops right outside hotel at ten to the hour and returns from bus station at 20 past. Cost is 1 euro each way per person. It comes back a different way though so dont panic first time you use it!
5) You have to place your linen knapkin in an evelope after your evening meal, but nobody knows why. But I can reveal the rationale right here. The hotel is two star and so only washes the knapkins every 2/3 days. The envelopes ensure that if you have messed yours up nobody else on your table has to use it other than you - so dont slurp!
6) You choose your evening meal the previous night and there are always 3 or 4 choices for each course.
7) You know when the end of the holiday is imminent. Two days before you leave you get the Thomas Cook questionnaire, then the night before you leave there is no 'next evening' menu to choose from and then at your last breakfast there is no pen! - you then know it is time to go home and you will be upset - the hotel really is that good.

Are you considering Lake Garda - you wont be dissapointed
Are you considering Malcesine - we visited Riva and Limone and preferred Malcesine - its a lovely little town
Are you considering the Astoria - personally I would have no hesitation in returning and I wholeheatedly recommend it.

Apologies for any spelling mistakes that I have made!

Room Tip: Rooms at the front have a view of the lake and the Dolomite mountains. The balconies get the afterno...
8  Thank Jeffvelo2012
Reviewed August 17, 2013 via mobile

We have just got back to England from our 7 night half board stay in this hotel as a family member got married in the castle in Malcesine! I would like to start by saying that we would most definitely go back to the Hotel Astoria as we were made to feel so welcome by all of the staff and they looked after us very well. The views from the rooms were stunning and the pool was lovely. There is a bus stop just outside the hotel which takes you to other locations including Malcesine. The only thing I would suggest to make this a perfect location would be that there should be more local shops such as souvenir shops. a suggestion for the hotel would be that they could include more choice of food for children. The food was lovely however and my son ate most of the dinners provided, so not a big deal! I would definitely recommend the Astoria for your next stay in Lake Garda! Now my favourite place in the world :-)

• Stayed: August 2013
2  Thank Tordish
Reviewed August 14, 2013

I stayed for a week whilst staying for my sisters wedding at Malcesine Castle. First impressions were good, it's a lovely family run hotel with good food served in the restaurant at 7pm daily.

It has a lovely view of Lake Garda and is on the bus route for those wishing to explore, I booked through Thomas Cook and went for a single room to keep costs down as this wasn't really a holiday for me. Having said that for those in to water sports, paragliding, cycling or motorcycling would love the area as it has so much to offer.

My only but significant disappointment was the size of the single room, in my case (408). To say its small is an understatement, I couldn't even wheel my medium size suitcase in to the room without turning it sideways !

Once in, there was the expected single bed, however floor space was at a minimum. There was a strip of floor space 3-4 feet wide which ran from the front door to the balcony door (the balcony is huge, as big as the room). The TV was mounted on the wall, almost behind you, so you couldn't really watch it in bed.

The bathroom was great, had everything you need, but just a word of warning if you are XL you may not get in the shower....the entrance door was narrow.

If I was grading the room alone 2*, but having seen a double rooms they are perfectly big enough, not ultra modern but I think you would plenty of room and certainly be able to enjoy the time in your room perfectly well.

Just avoid the single rooms and you will have a great time !

Stayed: July 2013
2  Thank Anthony C
Reviewed August 11, 2013

We loved this hotel, as stated by others it was spotlessly clean and well kept. All of the staff were friendly and helpful and as it was family run, seemed to have numerous roles throughout the day! I would suggest that the swimming pool is not necessarily ideal for those with young families as it has no shallow end and is the same depth throughout the pool, however this 'selfishly' makes it pleasant for those of us who no longer require this facility. I would also say that if food is a big priority for you then you may be a little disappointed with the fayre that is on offer. Each evening there is a salad bar to start, followed by either a pasta dish or soup, followed by a small main meal and desserts. I have to say neither my husband or I ever left the table hungry though. The breakfast was buffet style with cooked, cereals, meats and cheese, toast, rolls and fruit and yoghurt. If you went out for the day the staff were happy to make packed lunches up. The hotel grow there own fruit and vegetables, which they served up. The town of Malcesine was about a 35 minute walk away, or you could catch the hourly bus, always outside of the hotel at 51 minutes past the hour and always 20 minutes past the hour from outside of the tourist information centre in the town. Please beware of the German folk though as they always went straight to the front of the queue even though we had been waiting well before they arrived!!!! I would not hesitate to return to this charming hotel and would recommend it.

Room Tip: Front or back of the hotel rooms are both very acceptable. Back has less traffic noise and is shelt...
3  Thank JOY417