“Great for 'real' italian cooking”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Osteria alla Rosa

Osteria alla Rosa
Ranked #88 of 100 Restaurants in Malcesine
Cuisines: Italian, Mediterranean
Good for: Local cuisine, Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Breakfast, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Malaga, Spain
“Great for 'real' italian cooking”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 14, 2013

Got bored with the normal Ristorante/Pizzeria food in Malcesine. This place did some more 'authentic country cooking'. Excellent lamb stew wirh polents and good wine selection.

Visited April 2013

Fondo, Italy
“Not Like Years Past”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 2, 2013

We used to go to this osteria every time we were in Malcesine. However, after 2009 it just hasn't been the same place. They have changed cooks and staff and the result has not been good.

One of my favorite dishes on the lake is "bigoli con sarde." The last two times we visited, there were no sarde, just a bit of sauce. To add a little insult, a non-Italian server told me that this pasta without the sarde was "normal." As a resident of Italy, I can tell you most certainly that this is not the case. (I am not wild about being fibbed to in my own language.)

The birds flying in and out of the outside eating area are cute but not very sanitary. In short, with so many great places to eat on the lake, we won't be back. Perche? Non come una volta.

• Visited May 2012
Verona, Italy
“Good restaurant with local food on lake garda”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 16, 2012

I've been at the Osteria alla Rosa this August, in a sunny and turist packed day. I must say that living in Italy and speaking the language I received prompt service from the chief waiter and food and wine were really good. We were a group of four and all tried different dishes, all quite good, one very good, the local lake fish, lavarello, with polenta. Pasta was home made and done well (I cook). The desserts were acceptable. The only shortfall was an extra item on the bill, immediately removed when I complained. Prices are reasonable for a turist location on lake Garda and food slightly above average for the area.
For those who found the wine vinegary I suggest they simply ask to change the bottle (nothing is charged for this) as this is the Italian custom, especially in a wine growing district such as the Verona and surroundings area.

• Visited August 2012
Stratford-upon-Avon, United Kingdom
“Cosy little osteria? More like a transport caff.”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 8, 2012

It might look cosy and inviting but honestly don't bother.
'Rustic' interior suggests a hearty and fabulous meal will arrive, piping hot and so tasty you'll want to mop up every morsel. Not so.
Mediocre pasta. Horrible vinegar-y wine. Bored waiter.
Very disappointing.
And what's with the bizarre giant video screen near the doorway, scrolling through images of their food? Pity the poor souls sat near that.
Please take my advice: go to the Hotel Castello instead. The prices are the same but the experience is leagues above this.

• Visited September 2012
Oxford
“A great little restaurant”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 24, 2012

I completely disagree with the previous reviewer. We went to the pretty Osteria all Rosa twice during our week in Malcesine and it was our definite favourite. It does the most authentic local food - the fish and polenta dishes were particularly good but I also had home made gnocchi with mushrooms and truffles which was fabulous. The desserts were also excellent - my partner had a crunchy almond cake saturated with grappa which was delicious. It makes a great change from most of the restaurants and pizzerias with their standardised menus. It also offers a 10% discount with the Malcesine card which our hotel gave us - so good value too!

• Visited June 2012