“My best food experience so far”

Ristorante al Gondoliere
Ranked #2 of 106 Restaurants in Malcesine
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Families with children, Business meetings, Romantic, Large groups, Local cuisine, Special occasions
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Dear Guests, due to logistic and organization reasons we accept booking at 7pm and 9pm, we rarely accept reservations at different times. We kindly ask to let us know if you are in late, otherwise the booked table will be reserved for 15 minutes. Trusting in your understanding we thank you. Gentili Ospiti, per questioni logistiche e organizzative accettiamo prenotazioni alle 19 e alle 21, raramente riusciamo ad accettare prenotazioni al di fuori di questi orari. Vi chiediamo la cortesia di chiamare se arrivate in ritardo, in caso contrario il tavolo prenotato sarà tenuto per 15 minuti. Confidando nella vostra comprensione vi ringraziamo.
Reviewed April 11, 2013

My fiance and I visited Ristorante Al Gondoliere twice while staying in Malcesine in the September of 2012.

We discovered it almost by chance after a painfully difficult evening of trying to find somewhere to eat, and to say we were pleasantly surprised would be a great disservice to this wonderful ristorante. The setting was unusual (and I love unusual). We were seated on the terrace, almost set back into the building, overlooking a small square, and surrounded by rustic trellising. There was a glimpse of Monte Baldo, or its surrounding mountains, through the other buildings in the square, and on the second night this was framed and certainly not ruined by sharp stabs of white lightning cracking through the sky.

I should say that the lightning storm was held at bay from us by the canopy, which covered a good 90% of the terrace when we were there.

Nothing - not the setting, nor the incredible hospitality of the staff, nor the friendliness of our fellow diners - could ever hope to match the standard of the food. I could have been in nirvana, surrounded by comedians, part-time body-builders, with Rumours playing on repeat through high bass speakers, and it could not stand up to the same dizzying standards as were presented to me on those plates. The pasta was just so good that, seven months on, I can still remember the fresh nutty taste of just the tortelli pasta in the oil drizzle.

I do not think there are enough words in our humble language to describe the home-made tiramisu. Sublime barely covers it. I could have had ten and not grown bored.

All things considered, this is my favourite restaurant in the world. So far. It would take god-like prowess over a stove and god-given luck in location to even contend with it. Fantastic.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,426)

Reviewed December 16, 2012

We visited Al Gondoliere twice while on our honeymoon in June 2012. The first time we were wondering around looking at various menus when my husband spotted this little place almost hidden away up some stairs. The menu looked good so we thought we'd give it a go and I'm so glad we did. The terrace is lovely and as it is off the main street feels nice and private. The gnocchi is gorgeous and so was the mint mousse. So much so that when we went back the second time (for our last evening, as it was our favourite place of the whole trip) I couldn't decide between the mint mousse and the chocolate mousse with banana cream. So I had both. And both were excellent! Also recommended are the steak and the trout, although I think anything you have here will be wonderful. The waiter was really friendly and didn't bat an eyelid at me ordering two desserts which I appreciated! This is such a lovely restaurant so do give it a try; I guarantee you will like it so much that you go back again!

2  Thank SHWebber
Reviewed November 12, 2012

It's been our second visit to Gondoliere and it's been a lovely experience again. The food was beautiful and the service is very professional. Recommend booking as they are a popular and busy place. Most of the sitting area is on the terrace which makes the experience even more of a joy.

Reviewed November 2, 2012

This was the culinary highlight of our week in Italy. My wife and I enjoyed great service and great food. The owner was so attentive and informative about the wine and food. It was busy and we had to wait a few minutes before being seated but we felt special and were treated to the terrace view over the square. A great experience, I only wish we had found it sooner.

Reviewed October 20, 2012

On our last day in Malcesine we were looking for somewhere to enjoy our last lunch. The inviting terrace and poster on the outside of the restaurant encouraged us to go in. There were six of us, we were given a very warm welcome and very quickly tables were moved to allow us to sit together. Arsenio and Valentina were very friendly and attentive, made recommendations for the rose wine and explained the dishes when asked. The food was delicious and hot (not the case in all restaurants). Would definitely go back if in Malcesine again.