“Fabulous food, service and views”

Torre Normanna Restaurant
Ranked #3 of 56 Restaurants in Maiori
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Special occasions, Local cuisine, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Breakfast, Dinner, Delivery, Reservations
White Rock, Canada
“Fabulous food, service and views”
Reviewed May 12, 2012

Each year that we visit Maiori, one of the things we most look forward to is eating at this restaurant, the best in the area. Everything about it is Excellent. It is in a magnificent setting in a medieval tower on the coast. There is a wonderful selection of food including fresh seafood, meats, pasta, and desserts to die for, and many of the dishes are special creations of the chef using local ingredients. They are perfectly prepared and beautifully presented. We are always made to feel very welcome and we are never rushed so that we can relax and enjoy the beautiful setting. The best place to sit is on the covered terrace overlooking the water and coastline. The wine list includes extensive selections from the Compania area and the rest of Italy, and covering all price ranges. We will keep coming back.

• Visited May 2012

• Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Leeds, United Kingdom
“We finally left feeling, cold, ill and confused”
Reviewed May 12, 2012

After reading all the great reviews about this restaurant we thought that we'd have to pay it a visit whilst on holiday in Maiori. What we got was a confusing and rather poor experience.

We walked down the little path to the restaurant and on arriving there did not seem to be any greeting. A number of male staff seemed to be chatting and then a rather flustered man came over and showed us to a table. There were only 4 tables with people on when we arrived, but there seemed to be more staff than customers.
We were given water and the menus after a while, but the service was slow and I felt uncomfortable. The restaurant was nice, but it had an air of pretentiousness about it and although we were dressed well, I felt as if the waiters would have preferred it if we weren't there ( this is not something I feel often). We had to request the wine menu, which when it arrived was more like a copy of War and Peace it was that thick. Strangely when we requested the local wine we were told we couldn't have it and that we were going to have another wine instead. We're still not sure why we couldn't have the original wine - it was all very confusing!
The food menu wasn't much easier to understand so we plumped for the traditional menu which was 5 courses including sorbet. I'm not sure what happened next, but it seemed to me that somehow the chef had concluded that he either had lots of food left over from week that he needed to use up or that we were an ideal couple of guniea pigs for his latest culinary inventions. Either way, he was going to serve the food, and boy were we going to eat it.
The first thing to arrive was a small pizza with some yellow stuff on it. The waiter said this was a 'taster dish' so we duly accepted it, even though it wasn't on our set menu. Conscious of the fact we had 5 courses, we tried only about half.
The next item to arrive was a stuffed courgette flower. Again, this wasn't on our menu but the waiter said it was another 'taster'. Actually this was really nice and actually became the highlight of the meal.
Finally our starter arrived, which was a beautifully presented trio of fish parcels which for most part I enjoyed, although I think one of the dishes was slightly raw. Again, in addition to this we were given another small fish dish ' to try'.
By this point we were becoming worried that we wouldn't be able to eat our remaining courses, but thankfully, along arrived our homemade pasta with seafood. This was really lovely and the seafood was fresh and tasty and the homemade tagliatelle was nice, but I had to leave some of it to save room for my fish course.
Anticipating the final fish course, it seemed that, oh no, the chef had been experimenting yet again! It was Gnocchi this time, in tomato sauce ( like we needed some more pasta!) .It was nice, but again, it was completely unnecessary.
Finally, it seemed we would get our fish course. The waiter arrived with two plates of dry bolied green vegetables which looked limp and revolting ( and which soon went cold) and then our salt coated fish came. The fish was fine but it was tasteless and dry and there was no sauce. I left most of this and all of the vegetables.
It's all important to note that by this point the restaurant had become so cold that I was wearing my coat, but the waiters failed to take any note of this. Yes, the view is stunning, but honestly, with only 4 tables full in the restaurant there was no need to have so many windows open for us to see the view.
By this point we had been in the restaurant for about 2 hours and I was starting to get fed up.
Our sorbet arrived and what would have been fine at just one scoop turned out to be 3 different scoops of sorbet, all delicious, but again too much.
Then finally, the chocolate covered aubergine. Nicely presented and would have been lovely, had I not already been reaching for the alka seltzer.
By this point we weer ready to leave, we had an ordered a 5 course meal and had essentially ended up with an 8 course meal but no . . it wasn't to be, now I was to be force-fed Limoncello !!
Whilst when we arrived at the restaurant we felt unwelcome, now the opposite seemed apparent and they wouldn't let us leave. We were refused the bill and told to have coffee, twice, by two different waiters. Eventually we got the bill and I left my partner to pay. I had to run out of the restaurant to get away ( I have honestly never needed to do that before!) and even then they wanted to give me a leaflet. By the end I felt traumatised, like I had been on some kind of emotional and culinary journey, one which, quite frankly, I hope I never have to face again.

• Visited May 2012
1 Thank TheLightSleeper
Vancouver
“Not Sure That It's Very Good, But It's Better Than Average”
Reviewed May 9, 2012

Spectacular setting, pretty good food and service that is a bit overwrought don't sound like much of an endorsement, but there was plenty to like about the place. We were a large group and the experience was sufficiently positive for us to repeat it, but had there been other good choices nearby we may well have gone elsewhere. The courses seemed to be endless, however none of them was particularly memorable! They did try hard though...

• Visited April 2012
liverpool
“best meal i've ever had”
Reviewed April 30, 2012

We visited the Norman Tower as we are planning on having it as our wedding venue. It is an amazing restaurant, not just for the food but the whole experience.

The location and building itself is spectacular, the restaurant is owned by 4 brothers, two of whom work in the front of house. They were both so friendly and welcoming and helped us with recommendations for food and wine.

The food is exquisite, I can highly recommend the lobster salad and tuna steak and my partner has not stopped talking about his fusilli pasta with pork as his starter.

If you visit Maiori you have to visit this restaurant.

Visited April 2012
Cambridge, England, United Kingdom
“Not bad”
Reviewed April 21, 2012

Good food and breathtaking view. Poor service, though.

Visited July 2011