“Great place”

Golf Hotel Campiglio - ATAHotel
New York City, New York
“Great place”
Reviewed August 5, 2012

My family stayed at the Golf hotel in July. We greatly enjoyed it. Very nice rooms, great view, nice atmosphere. The staff was very welcoming and pleasant. Breakfast was good. The price we got on the web was very good. It did not include the wellness centre though. The hotel is outside the city but in a beautiful surrounding and it is fine if you have a car.

Room Tip: Ask for a Room with a view of the golf and mountains
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank 136marion

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
  • Polish first
Warsaw, Poland
Reviewed January 28, 2012

Here are the key points of our experience of the Golf Hotel in Campo Carlo Magno. First things first:

Location: Despite their claim to the contrary, the Golf Hotel is not in Madonna di Campiglio. If you want to experience this charming Italian mountain town find a hotel in the centre. The Golf hotel is a 5-10 minute bus ride away by a shuttle bus that leaves every half an hour. There is a very large parking lot if you are by car. The ski in/ski out is semi-true. To get to the main runs of Madonna you need to: Get your skis and boots out of the ski storage room which is at the opposite end of the hotel to the slope. To get to the snowy plain opposite the hotel you can cross the icy slope and the slightly icy steps or if you want to test your skiing insurance brave the icy steps of death just opposite the hotel entrance. You will then find yourself outside the bar entrance which is actually connected with the hotel but which bizarrely cannot be used by hotel guests. From there you are faced with either a combination of the baby slope drag lift and the slowest chair lift in Madonna from which after 20 minutes you will reach the bottom of the Groste gondola lift or a 200 metre walk with your skis on your back to reach same place. If you are a first time skier the baby slope is an excellent place to learn skiing and there are instructors on hand. We were in a large group with our own instructors and the ability to leave the little ones near the hotel and go off skiing on the normal runs with relatively little hassle was a big plus point.

The hotel: In its prime 100 years ago, refurbished probably around the turn of the century the hotel is a blend of tasteful décor and some elements that don’t seem to have changed in years. The common areas – bar, lobby, restaurant are very tastefully decorated and have a cosy family friendly feel to them. The rooms continue this theme but have some shortcomings such as a lack of space to hang skiing jackets and bathrooms that are past their prime. The heating system consists of huge, old cast iron radiators that belch out copious amounts of heat. During our 6 day stay we experimented with switching them off alternately, opening windows, filling the bath tub with water and were not able to get a pleasant temperature. The room and corridors were always extremely warm and extremely dry. If you come here in the winter bring a lot of moisturising cream or in the morning you will look and feel like an Egyptian mummy that has been left out in the sun. There are 2 lifts/elevators on opposite ends of the hotel. One of them kept breaking down. There is an old and new part of the hotel. Look at the other reviews here for more details. FWIW - our suite was in the old part.

Food: We were on a half board skiing tour and the buffet breakfasts and dinners were plentiful, varied and tasty. Nothing extremely special but a lot of local dishes and plenty of salads and fresh fruit. All things considered the meals were a highlight of the place.

Service: We only had exposure to the waiters in the restaurant and they were always helpful, courteous and friendly. The staff tolerated small children and adolescents and were always available and fast to serve the drinks and wine. They were clearly busy, energetic and tolerant. Big thumbs up to this crew.

Amenities: We found several elements that were completely wrong in a four star hotel. 1. Pay as you go internet at a rate from 2 EUR/hour to 23 EUR / day! In 2012??? Helllloooooo!!!!! 2. The hotel pool was 6.50 EUR per person per day. I will not comment but the whole idea is just so wrong and out of place. 3. The suite had 2 flat screen tv’s with not a single English language channel. No BBC World or CNN to catch up with what was happening in the world. The Italian channels were all incredibly snowy anyway.

Ski rental in the hotel building is a rip off run by 2 disinterested and arrogant guys who know that you will not be bothered to go and rent in town. We rented 2 pairs of higher end skis that had probably never been sharpened. On days 1 and 2 we were fine on fresh snow but on day 3 when the ice came out after a lot of slipping and no grip we asked the place to sharpen the edges. They wanted 30 EUR per pair for sharpening their own skis!!!

Sum Up - Very mixed experience but not a 4 star one.

Room Tip: In general ask rooms in the "New" section seem to be the better choice
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
6 Thank PoleApart1
Belfast
Reviewed January 2, 2012

I stayed at the Golf hotel for the second time over Christmas 2011 , see previous review , and this time it was a total let down . I booked the same rooms as before , a Double Executive and a double Superior , so I new what the rooms looked like . When we arrived they gave us a small double as the Executive and possibly the worst room in the hotel as the double superior . This was a small , badly furnished room in the loft with no view . I refused to take both these rooms but they informed me the hotel was full . I stood my ground as having already paid a deposit of 1500 Euro on a bill of 5092 Euro I new I was being duped. They eventually gave me two Double Executive rooms which were shabbily furnished , paint on the carpets and paint peeling of the bathroom doors .They charged an extra 250 Euro . We never really got to relax in the hotel after this experience . After our first visit I couldn't understand why this hotel was 16th on the list at Madonna Di Campiglio but now I know . Avoid , Avoid , Avoid .

Room Tip: You may book a good room , but they will probably sell it to someone else .
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank PanchoBelfast
Itinerant Aussie
Reviewed December 28, 2011

We had a fantastic 6 day stay in the Golf Hotel before Xmas. It was low season, with very poor snowfalls; despite this, the hotel more than made up for the lack of skiing by excellent service, outstanding food and a wellness centre which was first rate. There was a sight problem with the internet, but overall the charming staff and ambience made for an unforgettable holiday. Due to the poor snowfall we could not ski in/out, but I expect in a good season that would certainly be possible. Ski hire is available on site, and also access to ski lessons, and childcare/kids club. What's not to like?? We would come back here in a heartbeat.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
Chicago, IL
Reviewed April 12, 2011

Over the years, I have stayed in many, many hotels for both business and
pleasure. I consider myself a patient, laid-back person. I have never been
so apalled at poor service as I was during my stay at the Golf hotel. I was
staying there for 1 week for a meeting with approximately 50 of my
colleagues for a business meeting. There were definitely good things about
the hotel. I thought the interior was beautiful and cosy. The restaurant
food and staff were great. But I had 3 very bad experiences with the front
desk staff refusing to make the slightest effort to help, that it affected
the whole experience. The last, most extreme event was that on the last day,
when I checked out in the morning, I left my bags for safekeeping with the
hotel staff while I went skiing before leaving. When the transfer van came
to pick up a group of my colleagues the hotel staff could not find where
they put my bags. They looked for over 20 minutes and could not find where
they had put them. At that point my group had to leave or we would have
missed our flight home. So we left without my bags, and I was quite upset because I had some very important things inside. The hotel later found my bags, but it took 18 days before I received them at my office. They seemed to be in no hurry to send them, and the staff did not even bother respond to my e-mails asking for updates on my bags. I was so shocked that they would treat me this way after my company had just stayed at the hotel for 1 week for a sales meeting and spent thousands of dollars with the hotel. I can only imagine how they would treat an independant traveller.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled on business
9 Thank kbs_chicago
Ra'anana, Israel
Reviewed March 22, 2011

The hotel locates in great location. high level spa.
Diner in the hotel was delicious (breakfast was poor)
Ski conditions were excellent
Staff is friendly but gives insufficient information on the area and possibilities to visit and sport
Some of the staff has no English

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
6 Thank elimatz
Gallarate, Italy
Reviewed February 20, 2011

The sevice was great, in the restaurant and also in the bar.. the rooms were nice the bath was a bit small...the wellness center was also very good.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple