“Hotel Garni Francescato”
Review of Garni Francescato

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Livigno
Garni Francescato
Ranked #13 of 47 Livigno B&B and Inns
sheffield
“Hotel Garni Francescato”
Reviewed January 29, 2013

Rated this hotel as very good, as there is no "good" category. It was above average but not quite into the "very good" category.
The hotel itself was warm, spotlessly clean, the shower room was very clean, with bags of hot water, and the lady we met at breakfast was very pleasant. The ski locker room is secure, with a lockable locker allocated to each room. We got room 110 and were bothered by the barking dog on several occasions. (Couldn`t understand why the dog was left outside throughout some nights at minus 20 something temperatures) Also the yard below the window where the dog was kept wasn`t very pleasant to look at, with dog poo and yellow snow everywhere.
There is also another smaller dog that we saw on the outside steps and the inside stairs outside the owners private apartment. Be careful of this one, it was nasty, snarling and snapping at us.
The breakfasts were good, with rolls, croissants, toast, cereals, jams and marmalade, cakes, fruit juices, tea, coffee and hot chocolate, yogurts and fresh fruit..
All in all not a reasonable place to stay. The hotel is in the San Rocco area of Livigno, which is about a 20 minute walk into the town centre. There are bars and restaurants close by. The Bella Vista restaurant, just across the road was excellent. We ate there for 5 nights out of 7. It got very busy though. If you are with a big group, its better to book. Daphnes is a nice bar for a drink, again just down the road from the hotel.
The skiing was very good for the better intermediates of our party. However, the more timid skiers were intimidated by the steepness of a lot of the slopes, even some of the blues were a lot steeper than blues we have skied in other Italian resorts. The red slopes on the Carosello side were steeper than those on the Mottolino side. Most of the lower down nursery slopes are served by button lifts, some are quite steep.
The free bus service is very good, with 3 routes serving the town and outlying areas, and all the slopes. There was always a bit of a walk up to the lift though.

2 Thank Jean E

Solo
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
Wolverhampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 20, 2013

Just returned from the Garni Francescato in Livigno. Great week of skiing, fresh snow and massive ski area with lots for all abilities. Duty free town so some stuff quite cheap (mainly booze in supermarkets)
The town has a lots of great restaurants serving excellent Italian food at reasonable prices, we especially like La Scala.

As for the Hotel......This is a lovely little place at the San Rocco end of the town. In general the hotel is clean and well maintained. The ski locker room is very good. The rooms are quite small but big enough for the time you spend in there, also the bed was a little firm for me but not too uncomfortable. We didn't hear the dog that has been mentioned on other reviews.

My main issue with the hotel is that the towels and bed linen were not changed at all during our stay, I don't expect clean towels daily and don't mind using them a few times but think they should be changed once or twice a week and maybe a midweek change on the bed linen. This didn't spoil our stay but I imagine some people would be quite upset at this. The only other thing I would suggest is that the breakfast choice be increased, its continental breakfast which is fine but very limited on fresh fruit and yoghurt and only cold toast no option for you to make your own and have it warm. You can have a cooked breakfast for an extra charge so its nice that they offer this.

Overall a nice hotel and could be very good with a few small changes.

1 Thank live4holidaysJLS
Garnant, Carmarthenshire
Reviewed January 15, 2013

Spent last week (5th Jan – 12th Jan 2013) in Livigno, staying in the Garni Francescato on B&B basis.

Room was clean and warm but the bed slight hard for my liking (each to their own).
Bathroom was big enough, with a powerful shower and plenty of hot water.
Breakfast was nice with all the usual continental breakfast stuffs.
Staff were pleasant at both check-in and at breakfast time (only times we saw them)
Our room overlooked to courtyard with the barking dog. Only heard it barking twice all week, which was during the day so no problem really.

Overall – Nice hotel, would recommend and return in future.

2 Thank Mathew J
Rochester, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 13, 2013

We have recently returned from a weeks skiing in Livigno. The holiday was booked through Thomas Cook/Neillsons and over all was as expected and of a good standard. The hotel I am reviewing was sufficient but did have a few problems. Firstly, as a party of 4 men on a sports holiday we only managed to have 3 hot showers each as the boiler was constantly breaking down. There was a television in the room which did not work (not a problem for us!!) If you intend to use WIFI I would suggest saving money and going to the many local bars and restaurants(Daphnes or Homelywood) that have free WIFI and not pay for the hotels. Over all though this is a good budget hotel with good access to slopes and apres. The apartments have good kitchenettes if you are planning on cooking and eating in. The 2-4 occupancy apartments have pull out sofa, 1 single bed and 1 double bed (a consideration if single sex parties).

Room Tip: Apartments 1 and 2 are on the ground floor so have easy access apartment 1 is larger. Ask in advance...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Stuart E
Kendal, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 6, 2013

Situated in San Rocco this mixture of a B&B and apartments is well situated for eateries, ski shops, grocery stores and a bus stop (3 different free bus services eventually get you around the whole ski area). The whole area is mainly made up of traditional looking buildings making Livigno a very pretty place to visit and holiday in.

Introduction over let me tell you why I've only given Francescato an 'poor' rating...After a terrible transfer in from Salzburg we arrived tired to the establishment. There was a bunch of us off the coach who eventually all got housed by a couple of the staff. On entering our apartment (number 3) I thought the lady who was showing us in had just had a cigarette and I was picking up on that...It was only when she left that we determined that the whole apartment stank of stale smoke. I'm not talking about a whiff here that was easily removed by opening a window but like somebody had smoked literally hundreds of fags in the place.

I went back downstairs to find the lady who listened then took me to the manager. Now the situation became really annoying...The manager apologised and said 'what can I do?' I asked him to supply some air fresheners (we had passed an open market on the way up the hill on the coach) and he said he didn't have any...I asked him to go and buy some and he refused and asked me 'what can I do?' again. I asked him to move us and he said he had no rooms left...in the end I asked him to start acting like a manager and he again shrugged. His last advice was that I should try and phone the Neilsons rep...Now he owned this place and he accepted the apartment back from the last occupants utterly stinking of cigarette smoke and very easily allowed my family with 2 young children to walk into it but when it came down to sorting it out it was suddenly Neilsons problem!

On my return to the room we opened every window (it was -12c outside) and stripped off every duvet/chair cover and left them outside the room..then I went downstairs and insisted they were changed that night...then we went and ate somewhere really nice next door.

I think I've covered the room smell enough...The fact that there wasn't a single sign anywhere in the accomodation saying 'no-smoking' and there was an ash tray in each room didn't help! The reps were attentive and apologetic and even rustled up a sign at the entrance claiming it had never happened before...it appeared to be so rare that the occupants in the apartment upstairs were still puffing away and stinking the place out 3 days afterwards must have been another fluke then!

The infamous barking dog...There are two actually and the owners have got on top of this problem now...we heard it woof once or twice then it was let in promptly...apartment 3 looks directly over it's exercise area.

If you really wanted to totally self cater in apt. 3 then I would salute your skills in cooking in such a tiny kitchen...we were 2 adults and 2 children. There was a double bed and a single in the only bedroom and a pull out sofa bed in the tiny kitchen area...once we'd pulled that out there was little room to relax or sit around the table...I would say that 4 adults using this apt would struggle. It was well equipped with an oven/pot/pans etc...a microwave would have been nice although goodness knows where it would have gone!

There was always hot water and the heating was good. The main double bed was one that had a headboard and footboard...I am 6'1" and my feet jammed against it at night which personally kept me awake.

Oddly there was no midweek clean or towel change...nor was there the means that I saw or were shown to clean the toilet etc...after a few days with boys aged 5 and 10 it needs a wipe around and apartment or not I expected a maid in at least once.

There is a boot store in the cellar and you can ski right back to it if the snow survives...each apartment and B&B room has a dedicated locker. Based on the fact that apt.3 could sleep 4 adults why does the ski locker only house two pairs of adult boots and at a push 3 pairs of skis?

We travelled as a group. Our friends got apt.1 which was for 6 people...this apt. did not reek of smoke although did get the benefit of those smokers above us via the stairwell. apt.1 was an appropriate size and very comfortable...you could socialize in it as it wasn't the size of a postage stamp.

After squeezing your ski gear into the locker the accommodation bar is right next door and reasonably priced..the staff very nice and helpful.

Breakfast is 4 euros each so ok until you can get to a supermarket to stock up.

I wouldn't come back here to be honest but it's in a great place so would consider the resort again but not the accommodation.

Room Tip: Apartment 3 overlooks the owners backyard - enjoy your view of a washing line and dog bowl...I would...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank grammer2
Salford, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 17, 2012

never been to italy before was mighty impressed with livigno, beutifull alpine valley, good ski area not as big as some places but well enough to keep busy all slopes easy accesable good lift system, except for one rickity wooden lift which my partner insisted we went on most days very fond of it now,hotel was very clean and tidy food was top notch, cant fault the place really, will definatly go back......

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Thomas Cook

4 Thank jillian365
Bromsgrove, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 3, 2012

friendly owners . You get what it says on the package , nothing fancy but clean accomodation everything in working order . Good location . Adequate breakfasts . Would definately stay here again . Read past reviews and regarding barking dog the only one I heard was not the owners but a neighbours dog , disturbed me a little at night but nothing to do with the Hotel .

Room Tip: We stayed in 110 but moved to a more spacious 112 . Only because our friends checked out of 112 earl...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends