“A Mixed Bag”
Review of Garni Francescato

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Livigno
Garni Francescato
Ranked #15 of 47 Livigno B&B and Inns
Reviewed January 6, 2013

Situated in San Rocco this mixture of a B&B and apartments is well situated for eateries, ski shops, grocery stores and a bus stop (3 different free bus services eventually get you around the whole ski area). The whole area is mainly made up of traditional looking buildings making Livigno a very pretty place to visit and holiday in.

Introduction over let me tell you why I've only given Francescato an 'poor' rating...After a terrible transfer in from Salzburg we arrived tired to the establishment. There was a bunch of us off the coach who eventually all got housed by a couple of the staff. On entering our apartment (number 3) I thought the lady who was showing us in had just had a cigarette and I was picking up on that...It was only when she left that we determined that the whole apartment stank of stale smoke. I'm not talking about a whiff here that was easily removed by opening a window but like somebody had smoked literally hundreds of fags in the place.

I went back downstairs to find the lady who listened then took me to the manager. Now the situation became really annoying...The manager apologised and said 'what can I do?' I asked him to supply some air fresheners (we had passed an open market on the way up the hill on the coach) and he said he didn't have any...I asked him to go and buy some and he refused and asked me 'what can I do?' again. I asked him to move us and he said he had no rooms left...in the end I asked him to start acting like a manager and he again shrugged. His last advice was that I should try and phone the Neilsons rep...Now he owned this place and he accepted the apartment back from the last occupants utterly stinking of cigarette smoke and very easily allowed my family with 2 young children to walk into it but when it came down to sorting it out it was suddenly Neilsons problem!

On my return to the room we opened every window (it was -12c outside) and stripped off every duvet/chair cover and left them outside the room..then I went downstairs and insisted they were changed that night...then we went and ate somewhere really nice next door.

I think I've covered the room smell enough...The fact that there wasn't a single sign anywhere in the accomodation saying 'no-smoking' and there was an ash tray in each room didn't help! The reps were attentive and apologetic and even rustled up a sign at the entrance claiming it had never happened before...it appeared to be so rare that the occupants in the apartment upstairs were still puffing away and stinking the place out 3 days afterwards must have been another fluke then!

The infamous barking dog...There are two actually and the owners have got on top of this problem now...we heard it woof once or twice then it was let in promptly...apartment 3 looks directly over it's exercise area.

If you really wanted to totally self cater in apt. 3 then I would salute your skills in cooking in such a tiny kitchen...we were 2 adults and 2 children. There was a double bed and a single in the only bedroom and a pull out sofa bed in the tiny kitchen area...once we'd pulled that out there was little room to relax or sit around the table...I would say that 4 adults using this apt would struggle. It was well equipped with an oven/pot/pans etc...a microwave would have been nice although goodness knows where it would have gone!

There was always hot water and the heating was good. The main double bed was one that had a headboard and footboard...I am 6'1" and my feet jammed against it at night which personally kept me awake.

Oddly there was no midweek clean or towel change...nor was there the means that I saw or were shown to clean the toilet etc...after a few days with boys aged 5 and 10 it needs a wipe around and apartment or not I expected a maid in at least once.

There is a boot store in the cellar and you can ski right back to it if the snow survives...each apartment and B&B room has a dedicated locker. Based on the fact that apt.3 could sleep 4 adults why does the ski locker only house two pairs of adult boots and at a push 3 pairs of skis?

We travelled as a group. Our friends got apt.1 which was for 6 people...this apt. did not reek of smoke although did get the benefit of those smokers above us via the stairwell. apt.1 was an appropriate size and very comfortable...you could socialize in it as it wasn't the size of a postage stamp.

After squeezing your ski gear into the locker the accommodation bar is right next door and reasonably priced..the staff very nice and helpful.

Breakfast is 4 euros each so ok until you can get to a supermarket to stock up.

I wouldn't come back here to be honest but it's in a great place so would consider the resort again but not the accommodation.

Room Tip: Apartment 3 overlooks the owners backyard - enjoy your view of a washing line and dog bowl...I would...
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank grammer2
There are newer reviews for Garni Francescato

Reviewed April 17, 2012

never been to italy before was mighty impressed with livigno, beutifull alpine valley, good ski area not as big as some places but well enough to keep busy all slopes easy accesable good lift system, except for one rickity wooden lift which my partner insisted we went on most days very fond of it now,hotel was very clean and tidy food was top notch, cant fault the place really, will definatly go back......

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Thomas Cook
4  Thank jillian365
Reviewed April 3, 2012

friendly owners . You get what it says on the package , nothing fancy but clean accomodation everything in working order . Good location . Adequate breakfasts . Would definately stay here again . Read past reviews and regarding barking dog the only one I heard was not the owners but a neighbours dog , disturbed me a little at night but nothing to do with the Hotel .

Room Tip: We stayed in 110 but moved to a more spacious 112 . Only because our friends checked out of 112 earl...
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank pammy54173
Reviewed February 25, 2012

Friendly hosts, very clean, good selection for breakfast and great coffee.

Despite not being in our preferred area of Livigno the Francescato was much better than we expected!

• Stayed: February 2012
Reviewed February 22, 2012

Just got back from half term skiing in Livigno with my 17 year old son.

Going out we had serious flight issues, waiting on the tarmac at Gatwick for 90 minutes and then circling around Innsbruck waiting for a window in the weather to land. We were lucky as the alternative was to divert to Salzburg which would have almost certainly lost us a day on the slopes. However, having read a variety of horror stories about 6 hour transfers from other airports, the transfer from Innsbruck was well received at just 3.5 hours!
Garni Francescato is a nice little B&B based in the San Rocco area. We were in room 104 which was basic but well enough equipped for the price compared with other ski apartments I have stayed in. The major downside as so often was that the main bed was uncomfortable. To be fair this is a recurring issue for me (I am not a slim thing..!), but I would suggest that anyone who has had bed issues invests in a travel mattress. I rarely managed more than 3 or 4 hours sleep which did impact on my enjoyment of the skiing.
My son also found the other bed a little uncomfortable.
The other gripe was that our TV stopped working on the Sunday and was not repaired until Friday. Emilio at the hotel helped us out with travel plugs as ours did not work and seemed an all round nice guy. Breakfast was the same every day but good enough for the money.
We ate most evenings at the Bellavista pizzeria about 50 yards up the road from Garni Francescato which has to be the best value for money restaurant i've ever visited in a ski resort.

We had pre-booked our skis and boots via Neilson with the equipment coming from Livigno Sport opposite lift 17. The initial fitting was a bit chaotic as is so often the case, with only 1 technician fitting 20+ sets of boots at a time. However the quality of the equipment was first class - I ended up with brand new boots, skis and helmet!

My son had only 1 weeks experience on skis, so I pre-ordered private tuition via Mountain Tours - a lovely English lady called Jacquie sorted everything out very well.

We had great fun with Neilson's apres ski toboganning and the ice karting was a real highlight! Adam the rep was a really nice guy.

The skiing is ideal for beginners and intermediates. The reds are very gentle and the blacks are also quite easy. We skied the whole resort easily within a week, but if you are looking for good cruising slopes then this is the place. Ideal for family skiing and improvers.

All in all good fun

• Stayed: February 2012
Review collected in partnership with Thomas Cook
1  Thank woodstockandy
Reviewed January 17, 2012

We booked a Nielson package through Thomas Cook which included a week at Garni Francescato.

Overall it was a good stay. The place is very cosy, the rooms are OK, the thermostat works, the bathroom is good & the ski lockers are great. The place is also well located - Bellavista restaurant is only 30 metres away & is a great dinner option!

Few small issues though:

1) Like one of the other guests who reviewed this hotel, we stayed in room 110. The owners dog barks A LOT! It woke us up a few times during the night. This room overlooks the dog courtyard & it's not the most charming view. Yellow ice, droppings etc. I think it's a tad clueless to have a dog honestly when you run a guest house.

2) The reading lights in the room didn't work and it was too dark to read in the room without straining your eyes. It was always a little bit too dark which was annoying. We're big readers and we found this frustrating.

3) No fresh fruit at breakfast. Only tinned pineapple or canned fruit.

4) We had to pay 10 euros for Wifi. This was supposed to be included according to our Thomas Cook package. Wasn't impressed. I think in this day & age wifi should be free!

Overall I give this place a 7.5/10. I would probably stay here again but I do think some of the issues need to be addressed.

Room Tip: Don't choose 110
  • Stayed: January 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Squoot
Reviewed January 8, 2012

in brief...
Hotel-. spotless, good breakfast (ask them to refill if you visit after 9:15AM) lots of storage, great ski locker room, situated in san rocco ski area, 20 minutes walk from the centre of the village, good pubs/ restaurants minutes walk away, friendly family, very affordable.

Livigno- lovely village, lots of restaurants and places to drink (Bivios, Bennys (Gallis), Daphnes, Marcos, Bellavista and many more), good ski lift system (two sides/ mountains) but not all slopes open due to early season, lots of shops and supermarkets, lovely walking, great bus system (once you work it out!).

in Summary...
We had a lovely time at garni fran and would return in a flash. We holiday about 6 times a year and this hotel is a definite GEM!

If you are travelling with children to Livigno, be aware that the transfer is minimum of 3 hours from the airport. We had problems on the way home due to heavy snow and the transfer took 8 hours after a 4 hour delay. We had to fly to Gatwick, and then return by coach to Manchester, taking nearly 21 hours to return home! But this has no reflect on the hotel and is another story!

Neilson

I

Room Tip: we stayed in 110 at the top, high beamed roof, lovely shower, views of the mountains. The family dog...
  • Stayed: January 2012, traveled as a couple