“Cosy Place”

Ranked #33 of 33 Hotels in Lipari
Hillegom
“Cosy Place”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 18, 2011

For sure this is not the most comfortable or luxurious hotel on the planet but the atmosphere is just great! It is a pretty place and staying here feels more like staying at a friends' place than actually staying at a real hotel. The rooms are average and the shower is unbelievably tiny but who cares considering the central location of the place and the beautiful details indoors (stairs, pictures, furniture, everything in a bric-a-brac style. And i also loved eating capers for breakfast! Breakfast is a bit dull here but the capers on top of my cheese-sandwhich make up for a lot that is missing. This is not the place-to-be for the spoiled traveller but if you like hotels that did not come out of pre-fab catalogue then this is the place for you.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Bollenmeisje

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Dublin
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 19, 2009

Booked 4 nights at €34 per night breakfast incl. During my stay I booked an extra two nights due to a change in my plans and liking the place so much, the extra 2 nights were booked at the same price no hassle.

The room was big enough for a single person (it was two single mattresses . The room's window faced the hotel inner courtyard, so it was fairly quiet at night. The window had a shutter which wouldn't work correctly . I would have preferred a mosquito mesh over the window.
The bathroom was fairly cramped with the shower set-up taking some getting used to, but once I worked out the settings it was grand.

The buffet breakfast was very good. Fresh croissants (the smell of them would come through my window in the morning), a decent coffee machine, muesli of sorts (other cereals incl. coco pops and cornflakes i.e. the usual suspects), fruit, natural yoghurt, oat biscuits, ham, cheese, bread rolls. The milk was funny though, the skimmed, watery kind. I was able to make up a lunch from the bits and pieces without any hassle too.

When I asked about laundry the porter gave me an address of a cheaper place in Lipari town. The place I was referred to was good. No hassle. Hardly in the interests of the hotel but I wasn't complaining!

I was allowed play the guitar that was lying around which helped pass a few hours when I didn't have anything planned or the weather got worse.

Overall I would stay here again, good location, good breakfast and if you can get a decent rate ( I went to a number of sites), good value.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled solo
Paris
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 1, 2009

We reserved a double room and arrived to be cramped into a single room. There was not evern room for our suitcases! The staff was rude, refused to change us, so we left. We settled the bill and found another place to stay. And then they charged our credit card again for leaving early! They robbed us and then threatened us when we complained! I have never experienced such rude and shocking behavior

• Stayed July 2007, traveled as a couple
2 Thank discoveryfox

Travelers are raving about these Lipari hotels

Stockholm, Sweden
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 21, 2007

We went in to this hotel as we would like to stay one more night in Lipari. The staff was nice and spoke English, the price was a "last-minute" price of 160 Euro (which by far was the most expensive hotel we stayed at in Sicily) For that money, what we got was little more than a hostel bed...

Our room was so small, that we could not even open the door to the bathroom completely. The hotel location is close to the island ferries, but our room was basically situated in a round-about - an extremely noisy location, and we did not get much sleep that night.

The bed looked very old and ´70ish and was indeed very uncomfortable, it did not even have a real mattress! Overall, the funriture would have been quite ok if it had been placed in a hostel (which I - comparing prices - would have preferred to this "hotel") The air condition did not work, a fan had been put in the room in its place. The shower was not really a shower, as you had to stand next to the toilet and put the shower curtain around you in order not to make the whole bathroom wet.

We had been on a nice trip to Panarea and Stromboli during the day and arrived rather late in the evening. The night portier was very rude when we arrived and not the least welcoming.

The only positive thing could be said about the breakfast buffet, which was ok. We will not return to this hotel.

• Liked — Breakfast buffet
  • Disliked — The room, location, staff, price/performance rate
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank Yaz73
Jackson, Wyoming
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 14, 2006

We arrived in Lipari without a hotel reservation, picked the Villa Augustus because of a favorable mention in the Frommers guidebook and also because it was the first hotel in the guidebook that we reached walking from the ferry dock. The front desk staff were courteous, spoke English well. Our room was adequate but nothing special; there was a small sofa whose springs had seen better days. The shower stall seemed small even by European hotel standards, jumbo-size travelers should take note. There is a nice rooftop terrace with good views. Our room had a very small balcony but not much in the way of views. There was an air conditioning unit but we did not use it.

The hotel is just 50m off the main street in Lipari, and is maybe 200m from the ferry dock. The archaeological center and the tour boat dock are about a ten minute walk.

The breakfast service was a pleasant surprise; pastries, fruit, cereal, yogurt, meat, cheese, served in a covered courtyard area. We initially booked two nights at the Augustus and ended up staying four nights, as we found Lipari to be a good base for exploring the rest of the islands and we were satisfied with our accommodations at the Augustus.

• Liked — Substantial breakfast by European standards
  • Disliked — Mosquitoes at night -- keep the windows closed
  • Stayed October 2006, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
2 Thank RangeviewRay
New York City
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 26, 2005

On my last day in Malta, I stumbled upon a page in a guidebook which devoted exactly three paragraphs to the archipelago. All my plans were hastily made from an internet cafe/phone center, but from the minute I arrived at the Hotel Villa Augustus, I was met with an overwhelming sense of calm. Despite my embarassing attempts at Italian, the staff welcomed me & patiently deciphered my every question, provided every answer, and accommodated my travel-weary self for three days. Like many visitors to Lipari, I spent my time away from the hotel; hiking about the volcanoes, ferrying back & forth, and drinking in the unique atmosphere of the Aeolian Islands. It was an immense comfort to know that I'd be returning each night to a room which felt like home. Well, home with a touch of luxury, that is... Truthfully, I could've stayed for three more days, and two weeks later, I did. I couldn't leave Europe without returning to the Aeolian Islands once more, and although I had seen quite a few other lodgings, I chose to return to the Hotel Villa Augustus. I would recommend it to my mother, and I recommend it to you. The hotel is located about as close as you can get to both nave & aliscafi points, and is situated at the foot of the main street, which is very convenient for dining and leisurely strolls. Also, the scooter rentals & bus point are here, and a five minute walk will put you at the archaeological museum. Still not convinced? Drop me a line...

• Stayed September 2004