“Perfect location and fantastic service”
Review of Casa Dei Mercanti

Casa Dei Mercanti
Ranked #2 of 119 Specialty Lodging in Lecce
Reviewed December 30, 2011

Stayed for 2 nights as a couple in a junior suite, which was essentially a self catered apartment with bedroom and separate kitchen/dining room. Location is brilliant, on the main square but no problems with noise. Although the exterior of the building itself is fairly ugly and not what we had expected, the apartment itself was lovely and spacious and was fabulously (and recently) decorated with gorgeous period furnishings, fab artwork and a real eye for detail, both in the decor and the little touches like decent bathroom products and a welcome pack of coffee/biscuits etc in the kitchen.

The owner/manager Franzi was lovely and exceedingly helpful - he arranged to meet us on arrival in lecce to help us park the car as there were no spaces at the building the day we arrived (parking in lecce is a nightmare and he actually parked it for us in the end - my parking is awful when parking a car with left hand drive) and then find it on leaving and gave us accurate directions to get out of the city and head south. He clearly loves his city (as did we!) and gave really good restaurant etc recommendations as well as tips for heading south in Puglia. Level of service far beyond what I had expected but at the same time just on a "there if you need it" basis which was nice. He's Italian and fluent in English.

There were two breakfast options - either coffee and pastry in cafe on the square (which we did and was fine if you don't need a big breakfast, we loved watching the world go by) or a fuller breakfast served in your room - I don't think breakfast in your room was extra.

All in all a lovely city and would stay here again.

• Stayed: October 2011
5  Thank baggard

Reviewed September 12, 2011

Six of us stayed here on our journey south last Friday night.

The owner/ receptionist was fantastic, calling me before hand and meeting us on the outskirts of town to help us park our 2 cars.He also booked us a great restaurant for our first night in Puglia - which was exactly what we were looking for, a terrace, great food, no tourists!

The rooms are clean, spacious and if you want a kitchenette its there with an assortment of utensils!

The location is great, right in the centre of everything, you could not ask for more in that respect.

Beds are a bit hard.

My only let down and possibly this is my fault and a personal gripe - but I was expecting a nicer building something a bit more "Italian" its not really a town house, you enter thru a cigarette butt & feather filled ugly courtyard and go into what is basically a converted office block the a lift is the size of a coffin, so I walked the 3 floors. It was not exactly what i was expecting on my first night in Lecce. The building is not charming, its clinical and has no atmosphere. It is more suited for families who want to use the kitchen facilities or for people who are on a budget.
For this reason I would not return. I was very disappointed.

You can fault the service, location or cleanliness.

We stayed a 5 star hotel on our return which was a bit more up our street

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled with friends
1  Thank tuxedo
Reviewed June 12, 2011

We stayed here for 5 nights whilst travelling around Puglia using public transport.
As soon as we arrived the manager of the apartments gave us all the information we needed - how to work everything in the flat, where everything was in town, and restaurant recommendations. Later he booked us a table in a bar with Sky (to watch the Champions final!) and he told us about the Cantine Aperte which takes place all over Italy and booked us places on the free trip to two wine cellars. Each morning his team brought us a lovely breakfast.
The apartment was very large and attractive and had everything one could possibly need. It was serviced every day, the two women we met were excellent and again very helpful.
The flat is on the main square, Piazza Sant' Oronzo. This is not the typical picturesque piazza one usually sees in Italy, it is a rather odd hotch-potch of architecture. But it was good to be at the centre of things: Lecce is a very lively town and there was something going on every night whilst we were there. Inevitably then there is noise.
There was not really any great view from the Casa as it is an internal block. But if you leant out of the bedroom window you got a good profile view of Santa Croce.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed February 27, 2011

Lecce is a walking city and this place has the perfect location, right on the main square, steps away from the biggest attractions. The junior suites are spacious, with a small sitting area, a dining area, and small kitchen, half-size refrigerator and a full stovetop.

I would recommend this place anyway, but during our stay management went well beyond the call of duty. Lecce is a good six hours drive from Naples, which is the nearest large airport. Rome is even further. So we flew into a smaller airport, Bari, connecting from the U.S. in Munich. We did this specifically to avoid dealings with Alitalia, as we desired that our bags should arrive when we did. Unfortunately, Lufthansa did no better, and one of our bags was left in Munich. By the time we landed, the Bari airport had already been messaged that Lufthansa knew about the situation and would see that we got the bag the next day.

Unfortunately, the way they chose to do this was to give the bag to Alitalia, which promptly lost it. Three days later we did get it, but only after management made a large number of calls to the Alitalia bureaucracy trying to get some action, and guiding the courier to them so that the bag could finally be delivered on a day when we happened to be elsewhere.

This level of commitment to resolve a problem that was in no way the hotel's fault was truly exemplary.

We went in the off-season. From what I learned, I would be dubious about visiting in July and August, when the city is loaded with Italian tourists and quite hot. Also, I do not recommend Lecce to those who have no Italian at all. But the architecture is fabulous, and so is the food. We wished we could have stayed longer.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 10, 2010

One of the most beatiful places where I have ever slept.
Lecce is a very nicy city and la Casa dei Mercanti is in the heart of Lecce, close to Carlo V's castle.
In addition, the staff is so nice and ready to satisfy every need you could have.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed June 26, 2010

Casa dei Mercanti is on the third floor of a building right on the main piazza in Lecce, perfectly located for sightseeing.
Although it's listed as a "B&B", this is really a real apartment with a living room, fully equipped kitchenette, bathroom and separate bedroom. All are very clean and very well maintained. Guests take their breakfast in a little bar across the Piazza Oronzo, right opposite the Roman arena. It's not the fancy patisserie but the one next door, with the friendly barista and the clientele exchanging newspapers; I came to love my visits to this bar.
The man who runs the B&B is extremely helpful, as his assistant Angela. They helped me park my car, find the assigned ZTL space, and the rescue me when I was unable to get to the ZTL.. They even offered to let me use their washer when I couldn't find a laundromat, but I did not take them up on this.
It's a great place to stay in a fascinating city.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled solo
Reviewed June 17, 2010

We had 3 nights here in June, and it a great location to just wander around the lovely old town area of Lecce. We had a suite facing the back which didn't really have any views, but we were glad we did as the front rooms face out over the town square and there were festivals and loud music happening for the 3 days we were there. The rooms were spacious and cleaned daily. The staff were able to provide an iron when we needed one too. This isn't really a hotel in the traditional sense, as there is no reception, pool and room service etc, however it is great to have your own kitchen and be independent. Parking is a nightmare - pick a small rental car is my advice!

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled on business