“no air-condition at night!”

Grand Hotel Tiziano e dei Congressi
Ranked #19 of 21 Hotels in Lecce
Reviewed June 11, 2010

Even though a pleasant hotel the fact that they "never turn the airco on at nights" in a city with very hot temperatures is a big factor of why I will never stay there when in Lecce

Stayed: June 2010, traveled on business
1  Thank yannaras

Reviewed March 10, 2010

First of all, I’d like to tell that I am rather a flexible and not complicated person, but it was so much a disappointing experience that I even decided to share with it with the others. Hope you would find it useful for your holiday plans in that region of Italy.

My boyfriend and myself came to Lecce in order to spend a nice relaxing time. The objective was to find a practical and cosy hotel. For us it was important that there is an Internet connection in the room (as we still needed to manage some job issues), that there is a fitness, and generally we wished to pamper ourselves in some very nice environment. We chose the hotel by a recommendation of a friend (who however, never stayed in it), who showed us its brochure – it looked like it had everything we needed : fitness, spa centre, swimming pool, I-net and the rooms as well as the hotel itself looked rather luxurious. We went for it and booked our 4 nights…

The first disappointment was about the general look of the rooms and the hotel – the pictures in the brochure were rather flattering, and the photographer who made them was visibly highly professional. The hotel looked rather old with many details that could have been already replaced (not the way it was presented in the booklet).

Then, we were supposed to pay for the I-net connection, but the voucher we bought at the reception for 17 eur was not working in the rooms, and it was actually possible to buy directly online with a visa card a 24-hours connection for 10 eur. I returned the voucher of 17 eur back to the reception with the precision that it was not used. Later I found this 17 eur was still charged to our room, however, the receptionist promised he is not going to do so!!

Then, we asked on which floor the Spa and fitness centre were situated. Can you imagine our surprise and the deepest disappointment when the guy answered us that actually the centre is not working, and it will not be open before than in 1 month time!!! This was really cruel, as we made the reservation directly in the hotel and nobody was warning us about this beforehand. Actually we gave the preference to this hotel and not to the other exactly because of this Spa and fitness centre….

The last drop was when the water started to leak from the ceiling of our room – it was an air conditioner that got broken, and we had to change the room without any help of the hotel staff.

All in all, it was a really disappointing experience having all this going together. Never again would I come back to this hotel and I would never recommend it to anyone!!

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Roganova
Reviewed December 2, 2009

Been to alot of hotel around the world and this one ranks up in the top 10 for me. Good atmosphere and friendly staff.

Stayed: August 2009, traveled on business
Reviewed May 24, 2009

This is a modern 6-floor hotel built in two blocks, A block overlooking the street and, separated by the spacious lobby, B block facing the outside lounging area with its small bathing pool. We were in block B, which was delightfully quiet. But the street outside A block is the end of the autostrada from Brindisi and is packed with hooting revving traffic most hours, because right there is a huge roundabout with streets going off in all directions to the various parts of the city.
The interesting part of Lecce, the centro storico, is about 15 minutes walk from the hotel.
The rooms are pleasant and comfortable. But be warned: there does not seem to be any chef on the premises. Dinners are terrible. One evening the main course was five different white cheeses on an otherwise bare plate, with a side plate of a small lettuce and rocket salad. When I refused the cheese plate they brought me an overdone steak with a suspiciously regular and exact pattern of grill lines on it. Another evening the main was cold roast beef slices dressed with a little lettuce and rocket salad. The accompanying side plate was, of course, a small lettuce and rocket salad.
What saved us from starvation were the excellent restaurants in the centro storico, in particular the Picton, on via Idomeneo 14, heartily recommended and reasonably priced, with an interesting menu including several traditional Pugliese recipes.

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled on business
1  Thank AlBedo
Reviewed May 12, 2009

This is essentially a conference hotel. It is on the outskirts of the old town in a scruffy area. It is 15 minutes walk from the old town, across main roads and rough pavements. The nearest attraction is the cemetery (really!) which is very well kept and is next to one of Lecce's many lovely churches (San Nicolo e Cataldo). The small outdoor swimming pool was dirty and not useable in early May.

• Stayed: May 2009
1  Thank LondonUKMichael
Reviewed March 17, 2007

Good location for business. The hotel is at the entrance of Lecce.
Is a modern structure, has a swimming pool. Good continetal breakfast.

• Stayed: March 2007, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank dottorsocrates
Reviewed April 29, 2006

This is a modern, well-presented and generally well-appointed hotel. The room was well-furnished and spacious (if a little generic) and the breakfast was good. The hotel would benefit from more cosy and comfortable spaces to relax (rather than the large but sterile lobby), but I guess it would serve the business community well.

However, this may be the problem. They had the local (Lecce) Serie A team staying when we arrived, along with plenty of the journalists and other business-folk. I think they're in the comfort-zone as a consequence - they don't think they have to work at their product to sell it. The staff I encountered were not too bothered about my business (or my happiness, either way) either at the desk of via email before (while booking). One small example: I was given a smoking room, despite requesting a non-smoking room. When I returned the key, I got a shrug, not an apology. Small things, but they accumulate...

If you're driving into Lecce from the North, this is a good place to stop - it's right at the end of the autostrada (and unmissable, down an easy slip road to the right). The parking is plentiful and safe (and covered, if you wish), although the unkept road to the rear car-park is a little off-putting. The pool was under-construction when I visited, and may turn out well. The site faces a big bus station, although it feels safe enough. Getting across the major road outside is much more of a danger - and then the walk into Lecce's centro storico is probably 15 minutes. Nice enough, but if you're planning on doing this a few times, the thrill palls pretty quickly.

Everything seemed to be OK here, but it didn't feel quite right. This could be a much better place that would convince me to return - but I'm not sure I would, and I'm not really sure why!

• Stayed: October 2005