“New Year stay”

Ranked #2 of 307 Lecce B&B and Inns
Cambridge, United Kingdom
“New Year stay”
Reviewed January 6, 2014

This is a delightful place – for two principal reasons. First, the accommodation is spacious, imaginatively furnished and spotlessly clean. Everything guests could reasonably need is provided and it's within minutes of Lecce's centre, yet very quiet. Second, the owners are very welcoming and Elisabetta's breakfast basket is rightly celebrated. As if that wasn't enough, her husband willingly helped us sort out a puncture that our hire car suffered.
Their website describes this as: "A little slice of heaven"? Not having (yet) been to heaven, it's difficult to know. But the hyperbole is assuredly not misplaced…

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Farnborough, Hampshire
Reviewed December 31, 2013

Wow, we stayed in the Loft Suite for a week and we didn't wish to leave when the week came to an end.

We were super keen to experience Lecce and our rooftop hideaway, because we had to cancel our plans a year ago. It was important for us to come in June, to experience the flowers, foliage, delightful, but not too intense temperatures and Elisabetta's recommendation was 'spot on'.

Our lovely picnic basket was delivered promptly each morning and we lingered over warm croissants, homemade jam, fruit, yogurt, juice and coffee. Our suite had 3 decks; our main lounge/dining area, a sun terrace where we sunbathed early each morning before it was too hot and a rooftop terrace above the suite where we experienced the longest day of 2013 (21st June), sunsets and a full moon ~ fantastic!

We loved using our small, but beautifully appointed kitchen to prepare freshly made dishes with ingredients purchased from the small market outside the city walls. (If you visit in June, a vegetable similar to spinach is available and absolutely delish). We visited a local wine cellar/shop steps away from Barocco Suite and we were never disappointed with our local Salento wine choices, thanks to a knowledgeable and helpful lady.

We had the pleasure of meeting a delightful couple staying in the larger suite, sharing 2 evenings of great conversation, laughter and fabulous wine. They were slightly envious of our week long stay, they were only staying for 3 nights.

Lecce is a beautiful city to experience and so much can be seen from your suite which is mesmerizing at night or during the day. We also visited Santa Maria de Leuca and Castros enjoying amazing fresh seafood/fish lunches, swimming/snorkelling all day in the sea and driving a stunning coastline, not overtaken with tourists.

This is a gorgeous place we will return one day and much thanks goes to Elisabetta for creating such a stunning place for her guests to enjoy such a beautiful place in this world! Steph & Ian

Room Tip: Loft Suite is simply stunning, private and loads of outdoor space.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Zurich, Switzerland
Reviewed December 27, 2013

Elisabetta does everything to make your stay a pleasure. Just the room with the roof and the view are worth the stay. Actually we would like to keep this placeas our secret but we share it already with many other guests. We will be back. Paolo and Sofia

Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed December 21, 2013

The best b and b we have ever stayed in in Italy! Great views over a Magical city, beautifully furnished, and The nicest hosts you can imagine. Highest recommendation for a great stay. Assolutamente il meglio!

Currumbin, Australia
Reviewed December 20, 2013

I stayed here last week for two nights and was thoroughly impressed. I must admit I had my doubts about staying in a B&B as I was more used to high end corporate hotels but my wife was enthusiastic after reviewing and planning the trip for our family. I am a complete convert! After navigating the skinny streets to the centre of town, which believe me in our car was a roller coaster in itself, we parked right downtown in the tiny piazza reserved for locals. In Italy don't panic, just keep driving confidently and with aggressive curtesy and it all appears to work.

I was especially delighted at the small touches of finesse in the apartment that you can not find in even the best hotels I have stayed in all over the world. Some of the things I enjoyed most were the warm heated floors, the beautiful finish and design of the apartment With its beautiful doors, gorgeous wardrobes, antiques, light fixtures, high end furniture.....which left you feeling more like you were in a luxury home than a hotel. The fast free wireless wax also great (this was important for me as I still needed to check into work from time to time) and some places we have been....even in the larger hotels in Florence have not been reliable. The location of the suite was amazing, a short walk to everywhere. The food prepared for us was first notch. The only problem I have now is that my wife wants to go back next year for much longer. Hehe. I thoroughly recommend this place to anyone who values high end luxury and unique experiences

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Currumbin, Australia
Reviewed December 19, 2013

My family and I recently stayed 2 nights at this sensational boutique B and B in Lecce. We chose this place purely because of the outstanding reviews on Tripadvisor and we were not disappointed. This place and its owner Elizabetta are both amazing! More like a 5 star boutique hotel then a traditional B&B, you want for nothing and you experience the pure joy of staying in a gorgeous home rather than a formal hotel.
This year we traveled just before Christmas and were lucky to secure the suite for the two nights. Everything about this place is crafted to perfection. Elizabetta greats you on arrival and can speak perfect English. She is warm and welcoming but also leaves you to your own privacy, which I appreciate also.
At times we felt like we had our own little castle top in the sky all to ourselves. Elizabetta's eye for detail is amazing. The wonderful home made basket of goodies such as cakes, cookies, fresh fruits, jams and juices was stocked in the fridge on our arrival and each morning Elizabetta would come to our suite quietly at the time we had prearranged and she would drop off at the door an amazing hamper of freshly baked goodies for us. The girls would love to run to the door each morning and would squeal with delight when they would open the hamper to see what heaven would await them.

It is very easy to see that this B& B is a passion for Elizabetta as she has put her love and attention into everything. The suite is furnished as if it was her own home although it is very private and set away from her home, with high quality antique furniture, a full functional kitchen and exquisite linens.

The balcony is fabulous and we would often enjoy sitting out in the warm sun and reading , surrounded by wonderful gardens and flowers. We loved this place so much we have booked for a whole week next year! I can thoroughly recommend this to anyone and I know you will not regret staying here.....it is easy to see why the Roof Barocco Suite B & B was rated #1 in Italy last year and in the top 24 in the world!!!! As for me, having traveled to many countries and having had the good fortune of staying in some of the best locations available, I would easily say it could be #1 anywhere . Book early but not before me!

Room Tip: There are two suites with their own balconies. I had the suite and there is also a loft. Both are...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed December 11, 2013

I travel to Lecce 3-4 times a year to visit my Mom. I had book the Roof Barocco before this last trip, but this was the first time I was successful. My suggestion would be to book with Elisabetta as soon as you know your travel dates.
I stayed in what Elisabetta calls the "loft suite" from 11/22/13 to 11/29/13 and I couldn't have asked for a better experience. The private suite felt warm and comfortable with lots of natural light, 3 private patios amazing, high speed internet and a refrigerator stocked with juice, water and fruit. Elisabetta left a basket full of fruit, just squeezed orange juice and homemade pastries in front of my door every morning. It was like waking up to a present!
On my departure Elisabetta offered to take me to the train station, when I asked her about a taxi, which saved me about 30 Euros.
Roof Barocco is truly a must stay.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled solo