“A real beauty” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Yoga in Salento

Yoga in Salento
Ranked #3 of 10 Spas & Wellness in Lecce
More attraction details
Owner description: Holidays, free time, and vacation are the perfect moment to rebalance energize, relax, to reconnect with ourselves, nature and others.At YIS you will have the opportunity to experience all this: week long yoga holidays and retreats in a fantastic location, with extraordinary teachers, professional staff, veg cooking, spending fun and powerful time with like minded people.View our calendar yoga retreats.
Cornwall, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“A real beauty”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 24, 2014

An amazing place to immerse yourself in the beauty of yoga and Italy. Beautiful staff, great rooms, stunning swimming pool, delicious food, and ideally located for trips to nearby towns and the coast. I have a feeling I'll be going back again and again!

Visited July 2014

Birmingham UK
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 52 helpful votes
“an intense experience: yoga, vegan food and the concept delivered on an organic farm with intense Italian hospitality!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 25, 2013

Well we have been to Italy before. We have been to a yoga retreat in Italy before. So we knew about the Italian approach to food, hospitality and practice. However Yoga in Salento was a complete game changer!

Brindisi is only an hour’s internal flight from Rome’s Fiumicino.

We got the connecting flight and I saw him...Greg Nardi....
our Retreat teacher getting on the plane...
It was like the rock-star’s getting the same flight as us...
having that English-reserve...I didn’t let on!

We had arranged for a transfer from Brindisi to YIS from them - rather than taking the two trains and then getting from the local Zollino train station option - which might be possible, but i am glad we did. Not only was it well worth the €65 for the hour’s journey (yes an hour in the car for €65 - our 10 minute cab in Birmingham to the airport was £20) - meant we were the second people there for our week’s retreat.

the photographs of YIS on the web do not do it justice! It is far bigger than it appears.

We met one of our fellow-yogis before the introduction meeting and I met Greg again as the sun was setting before our day 1 evening intro class. We introduced ourselves and dispensed with the pleasantries agreeing to meet again shortly.

I must admit the week’s retreat of Ashtanga Practice was not labelled as being Mysore, so when, after we introduced ourselves with the two other (yoga teachers! one being the owner of YIS), the third yogi and my partner and I, we were told to “start practice”...

Me and my partner just laughed and explained that we have never done self-practice and despite doing yoga (for approaching) 3 years we always do a directed practice. Greg responded well and talked us through our initial embarrassment, shock, horror and we were soon sweating into our mats....so as not to be bothered any more!

Greg’s teaching and direction is very traditional and for us a first in the correct disciplines of Ashtanga-proper. Despite feeling fakes - he got us into our initial zone on that first evening’s practice.

We had a week of very disciplined, traditional-Astanga yoga and learned some important fundamentals... which from our UK experiences not being in temples or Salah’s, but Gyms in the UK has been invaluable.

The rooms are clean and we had air conditioning.

We were worried that it might be a “dry-affair” but thankfully YIS do serve wine!!! We had been worried that we might have to dig a tunnel or something, from the lack of detail in the other reviews!!!

We had a tour from Francesca - the owner. She excitedly informed us that she had...although I suspect not personally!... recently planted over 1200 olive trees on her farm!

OK what else do you need to know.....

The food! For me, being a strict vegetarian I realised something on this retreat - just how stressful everyday life is, worrying about can I really eat this ? Is it REALLY Kosher? IE is the cheese vegetarian - what about Parmesan??? Do they understand what the V symbol really means - is there shrimp-paste or other by-products in the food?

The food is prepared from scratch from the produce grown on the farm! There were some volunteer workers on the farm and one of them worked both the land and the kitchen - the daily stories about the kitchen prep was learning for both her and us!

We didn't capture all of the menus but here are a few days worth’s dinner examples - principally it was a three course brunch and a four course dinner - we never needed lunch all week!!!

Saturday # 1

crudités with vegan mayo
salad
stuffed zucchini
chicory with herbs
oven pumpkin
peach kitchon (a jelly)

Sunday # 2

Green Gazpacho (cucumber and mint)
salad
Pasta alla “vegan carbonara”
lentil loaf
Kale
Mixed Peppers
Berry custard tart

Monday #3

Greek Salad
Millet with herbs and vegetables with a lemon and tahini sauce
ricotta and chard cake with whole wheat dough
oven potatoes
red beets with mint and vinegar
chocolate orange rice pudding with flaked almonds

Friday was a traditional Salento Meal
three types of dumplings: olive, tomato and herb
pasta with YIS-grown tomato sauce
and then the MAIN!
Aubergine Balls
with accompaniments....They were amazing!!!

So this is effectively all-inclusive for the price, unless like us (and more so... Mr Nardi!!!!!) you have to include your Gelato-fixes!!!
This was the most amazing week and some of the other reviews mention Francesca’s hospitality! Which despite knowing this, was truly amazing.

I am not going to elaborate fully or go into the exact detail so as to not to disappoint you, but also as to not to commit her...during your stay (WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR ? YOU SHOULD GO!).

All I will say is that I have never experienced anything like this -
we got a number of experiences without paying for them - being Brits we don't expect to get things that you don't pay for !

All I will say is that her approach to “her people” on her retreat extends to her friends and her family

Greg Nardi’s instruction and tuition was amazing, he even explained my injury... which i created in anticipation of going on retreat = don't follow my lead on this - yes... you might be going on retreat but:
respect your limits, physique and placement on your mat.

we had a brilliant week... fully immersed in the Zollino town, it aint pretty...it is a truly authentic, rural, southern Italian experience

The barbers in Zollino - along with the local bar where the men sit outside (only the men!: but not in a gay way!) are challenging to put you off going in - i now regret not doing both of those things - however, the supermarket has quality Prosecco for €4!!! and its a 10 minute walk!

there was a moment when I was drifting like Samantha from Sex and the City, over the man on the Tractor!!! But alas....he got away! But maybe that speaks volumes about how YIS enables you to have the space to explore yourself!

YIS is a must!

the town is not pretty, it is quite challenging in what you might expect from a rural italian resort - but it isn't actually a resort = but if you are going for the architecture then this aint the place for you!

if you are going to a week’s retreat...
to experience the most extreme and generous Italian hospitality...
the most amazing vegetarian (or vegan even!) food...
and to immerse yourself in Extraction...

then hit the BOOK NOW button!!! you wont regret it!

Visited September 2013
3 Thank crtrwill
Zurich, Switzerland
12 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 18 helpful votes
“Magical place”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 22, 2013

The yoga room with the vaulted ceiling - beautiful to look at, especially when lying on your back :-) - is in the place where the pressed the olive oil, not too terribly long ago. The centre is part of an on-going organic vegetable and olive farm. The brilliant vegan/vegetarian chef Roberta uses the freshly harvested veggies for her sumptuous meals. You can choose to spend some time in and around the pool or visit some ancient sights and lovely towns in the surroundings. As a special treat book a session or two with the gifted Osteopath Marco or an Ayurvedic or Shiatsu massage, to be booked with Giuseppe at the reception.
The choice of rooms is a wide one, depending on your taste and or pocketbook from simple with shared bathroom to luxurious ones with AC.
We will definitely be back!

Visited September 2013
London, United Kingdom
“The teacher who said YES!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 25, 2013

As a teacher delivering a yoga holiday at a new venue abroad, I was pleasantly surprised by YIS. The staff are adorable, the vegan food delicious (thank you Roberta), the accommodation comfortable and the environment tranquil.

Thank you to Guiseppe, Daniela, Marco and the lady who makes it all possible by owning YIS, Francesca (thank you for our morning practice). They are a great team.

If you're looking for a place where you are left alone however always feel supported, then Yoga In Salento is the place to be.

I highly recommend it!

Visited May 2013
Paris, France
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Do yoga, eat super well and be surrounded by cool people!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 5, 2013

If you want to take care of yourself by doing good to your body through yoga and healthy eating, plus good company, this is the place you need!! Francesca and her staff are great, super friendly, the food is amazing, the place is peaceful and lovely.
You should rent a car and visit the neighboring towns, a must!!
Yoga with Charley Bensusen is always nourishing and inspiring and Detox therapy with Vito Cammisa was eye-opening!!!
I had such wonderful time, I want to go back this summer!

Visited April 2013