Hotel Ancora Riviera
Hotel Alba(Lavagna)
$114
  • Pool
All reviewspastriesother guestscouple of nightsprevious reviews mentiontrain stationminute walkferryfacilitiesstreetcoastsealadies
Reviewed August 31, 2011

close to beach and railway station.the staff of this family run hotel go out of their way to help make your stay a pleasant one.highly recommended.john hannay brisbane australia

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank john h
Reviewed May 31, 2011

I've booked the hotel for one night during my working trip in Tuscany and Liguria.
Arriving in the middle of the week, I did not have any problem to park in front of the Hotel, but I guess in the weekend can be a little trouble.
Warm welcome at the reception, nice room.. wow.. even nicer than what i was expecting.. now as always, my good-bad-ugly

THE GOOD
Room: spacious, very clean, with all what you may need.. you have enough space for an additional children bed if requested.. the bed is comfortable, pillows perfect as well.
Reception: the man was very kind, always smiling to all my requests. He suggested me a good restaurant (the hotel restaurant was closed), which was perfect for what I was looking for (no Tourist-trap).
Breakfast: I was satisfied with it.. even if it was not fully booked, the hotel provided the breakfast with plenty of stuffs, both for Continental and not-Continental customers. The Service was perfect, friendly and always smiling.

THE BAD
Lift: The lift was spacious, but VERY warm.. I guess it can be a problem during warm days in summer.
Parking: without a proper private parking, it can be a problem during pick season. Hotel has an agreement with a public parking lot near the harbour (don't know price / availability)

THE UGLY
Wi-fi: ok, they give you free wi.fi connection.. but I was not able to surf the web properly.. the bandwidth was very low, and it took several minutes to load every page.. I had to use my 3G connection instead (note: I know how to manage connections..). Hoping it was just the wrong day..
Windows: yes, they need to change the windows!! They are old, not closing in the right way (mainly in the bathroom) and the result is you can hear the trains passing on the nearby rails. This is they real only "pity".

CONCLUSION
Well.. I just have to recommend this hotel to you, TA travellers.. friendly, clean, well located.. ready to receive you and your family (and kids)..
It is a 3 stars hotel, so do not expect a 5 stars service.. but you'll find a friendly and warm atmosphere, you'll pay the right price, and I'm sure you'll go easily over the few missing point you face with this.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled on business
5  Thank Skiman
Reviewed September 19, 2010

The lovely people running the hotel are extremely charming and helpful... The hotel is modern, tasteful, and welcoming.
Breakfast which normally finishes at 10 stayed was very nice and even nicer as they made an exception for us being late risers. Both eggs and pastries as well as coffee and delicatessen among the breakfast range.
The rooms are simple, clean.. not sure about the brown carpet, but overall tasteful.
The only lapse is probably the rooms they gave us which were over the main road with the railway about 200m away... so, although I haven't seen them i would push for a port side (sea view).
Lavagna is not the prettiest of resorts on this coast however if you're staying here the hotel represents. great value for money.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 31, 2010

Quite nice boutique hotel, with stylish decor. Rooms well designed, new baths. Major issue: if you pay a premium for a water view room, be aware that the view is badly marred by a derelict, grafitti covered community building immediately behind the hotel. Views of the marina are off to the far right, water view is in the distance, unlike our expectations to look right out onto the sea. The bathroom drains had an unpleasant odor, which may have been driven by the rainy weather while we were there. Restaurant fine for breakfast but wouldn't recommend it for other meals, we weren't too impressed. Biggest disappointment was that the town is rather characterless and if you are looking for charm, it isn't here.
Do take the ferry to Porto Fino and go to Sestre Levante (probably a much better option for a town to stay in). Best restaurant on our trip was in Sestre, on the beach overlooking a quiet bay - Portofino. Superb. reserve ahead and plan to spend all evening.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled with friends
2  Thank aavery
Reviewed April 27, 2010

This is the second time I've stayed in this hotel after its renovation and it's been great both times. And I have to say the staff is very kind and welcoming.

Tthe room we had was spacious with lots of space to walk between our bed and our son's travelbed (provided by the hotel), there's a closet to put away your luggage, a small balcony with a view overlooking the port and the bay of Tigullio and in the evening you can sit and enjoy the sunset over Portofino! The bathroom was clean with a spacious shower and soft towels.

The breakfast was lovely with various types of "homemade" cakes, hot croissants, hams and cheese, toasts, yogurts, juices, cereals etc. The homemade cakes was the highlights though! We didn't have dinner here but if I can judge by the menu I'd be having dinner there the next time. They also provided a highchair for our son - which is not standard in any hotel or restaurant in the south of France or in Italy!

The staff is very friendly and we had the impression that all they wanted was to please their guests. We arrived very late for check-in and they offered us to park just outside the entrance of the hotel until morning. There was never a problem to heat up babyfood or bottles, they asked us if there was any particular newspaper we preferred and if they could get it for us and, we forgot a blanket in the room after checkout, and immediately had a phonecall where they offered to send it to our home address.

I can highly recommend this hotel to anyone traveling to Lavagna, Chiavari or Sestri Levante which are the neighbouring villages. It's good value for money and public transport is just at the doorstep. If you have a car there are plenty of carparks around the hotel.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled with family