“Best ever dining experience”
Review of San Domenico

San Domenico
Ranked #1 of 208 Restaurants in Imola
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dublin, Ireland
“Best ever dining experience”
Reviewed February 1, 2012

My lovely wife and I celebrated our 25th wedding annivesary with a food and wine oriented holiday in Bologna, and in particular, we celebrated the day itself by having lunch at this restaurant. We travelled from Bologna by Train and for your information it is a very comfortable and convenient way of getting here. Just a short walk from the station.

We have both had the good fortune to eat at many michelin star restaurants over the years but we would both agree that this was our best dining experience ever, from the wonderful welcome we received at the door, to the absolutely fantastic food from the tasting menu that represented a selection of dishes that were created in this restaurant over 45+ years.

Our food was paired with wine selected by the sommellier, and a perfect match for the truly delicious and beautifully presented food. The professionalism of the staff was allied to a genuine warmth that made a huge difference to our dining experience.

I doubt that this restaurant needs to rely on tripadvisor reviews for its business. People travel far and wide from Italy and the rest of the world to dine here, but I do feel that I personally have to acknowledge our wonderful experience here on the 25th of October 2011. I am just sorry that it has taken me 3 months to do it !!

Thank you Ristorante San Domenico for a wonderful anniversary lunch.

• Visited October 2011
5 Thank SeanSatu

• Polish first
Hong Kong
“Nice restaurant”
Reviewed August 19, 2011

It should be a nice place to go, but not with your kids. The bill is not as exensive as I've expected. The wine is good.

• Visited June 2011
1 Thank onestone
San Francisco, California
“Unmatched experience in Italy”
Reviewed January 26, 2011

This restaurants is definitely worth a special side trip to visit. I can't wait for my next trip to the region to try it again.

Not only was the food and service impeccable but the staff, owner, and chef made us feel like family. This is defiinitely one of those Michelin star restaurant we'd frequent if we lived in the area.

• Visited June 2010
1 Thank caazmark
Chicago, Illinois
“disappointing”
Reviewed October 28, 2009

When i walked out of here, the only thing I said "wow" about was the bill. This is said to be the best restaurant in Italy; I disagree. This is haute haute cuisine but just not anything to write home about. Over-buttered, over-truffled, over-sauced over over everything. The service was superb, the restaurant itself is lovely but the food is just not extraordinary. Also, it's a good thirty minutes from Bologna; there doesnt seem to be restaurant parking and walking to the car after dinner on dark and lonely Imola streets was a little scary, with some odd folks walking around. I would say stay in Bologna and have a meal you will be satisfied with at a price that reflects the meal. I had a great many dinners in Italy that were far better than here.

1 Thank royturk611
San Diego, California
“Best restaurant experience”
Reviewed October 28, 2008

Okay, here's the deal...three guys who no nothing about gastronomy...we taste and if we like, we eat lots of it! Same with drinks... me and my friends ate here in 2005 so this is a late review...we arrived before 8pm and was not allowed in...cmon, can't we sit at the bar? of course we found out later they had no bar...after circling the church next door for what seems like forever, we were allowed in for the best meal of our lives...we were "totally" underdressed but the staff treated us like royalty...we were given champagne and appetizers while looking at the menu....after deciding on the pre-fix menu and some wine choices, we were brought out more appetizers...then came the soup, salad, first course, second course and then we lost track of the dishes...what was cool was that there were staff of all ages and gender dressed differently carefully bringing and taking our plates... after desserts and after dinner drinks we found out the last train was leaving in 15 minutes...the meal was approaching 4HRS!...the staff was not too pleased that we did not have time for expresso but understood we had to leave. They hailed us a cab and gave the obligatory "cheek kiss" goodbye. I still remember the smell and and experience as if it happened yesterday....

Caution, my friend went back last year and ordered the port wine..waiter said there was no menu and offered only "old or new"..of course he ordered old and was brought out a bottle "caked" with dust...after the first sip, he found out the pour cost 240 euros....he savored every drop.....

1 Thank ed8