“Al Cavenon - Tasteless Food”

Ristorante Taverna Al Canevon
Ranked #51 of 148 Restaurants in Grado
Good for: Local cuisine, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Reservations
New Mexico
“Al Cavenon - Tasteless Food”
Reviewed July 31, 2011

We spent two months in Grado, Italy, this summer, and so ate out many, many times. We visited Al Cavenon, a quaint restaurant on a side street of the Old Town. That night we suffered through the worst "Insalta Caprese" we've ever had and "Gnocchi with Scampi" that resembled mash-potatoes with sprinkles of pink mush. For the first time in my life, I decided to return a dish. The waitress raised her voice and informed me that "this is not supermarket Gnocchi - you don't know what good Gnocchi is!" [We lived in southern Italy for three years, and do know what good Italian food tastes like]. They replaced the Gnocchi with "Spaghetti alla Vongole," which was completely tasteless. Bread basket, needless to say, was full of stale bread, and the wine is literally double in price of any other on the island (12 Euro for 1/2 liter of the house wine). $100 later, we were happy to leave Al Cavenon behind.

• Visited July 2011
5 Thank HotFlasher

Vicenza, Italy
“Al Canevon's Seafood is Tops!”
Reviewed February 15, 2010

We had dinner on Saturday night at 8 pm. Our reservation had been made by the wonderful Hotel Hannover staff. Al Canevon was a beautiful seafood restaurant just around the corner in the historical center. Everything was perfect. I had the sea bass, cooked in prossecco and pine nuts. Shear heaven!

Ottawa, Canada
“Good food, pleasant surroundings, friendly staff.”
Reviewed May 29, 2009

I spent 3 months in Grado in 2006 while attending a language school and ate out every night. Al Canevon was probably my top pick. I always enjoyed the restaurant finding the food of a very decent quality and the staff super-friendly (the waitresses even helped me with my grammar homework). If you are looking for pizza or Spaghetti Bolognese, don't waste their or your time. This place serves fine food and they take pride in what they produce.
Highly recommended!