“Not quite a 4*”

Ranked #34 of 38 Hotels in Giardini Naxos
Bucharest
“Not quite a 4*”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 16, 2014

The Hotel itself is very oldish. We stayed there for 4 nights, and we started with the wrong foot the minute we talked with the receptionist. 1 week prior of arriving I called the hotel and nicely asked if we can get a double bed and not 2 beds, I also asked if we can get a room on an upper floor and a balcony. Smokers need a balcony. I told them the balcony was a must. They agreed and even told me that they noted. The receptionist gave us a room with no balcony and 2 beds. When I asked them why they didn't take my request in consideration they searched and said they don't have any free rooms. When I went back to the room - people were leaving - yep .. no rooms left! I had to take the stairs because one elevator didn't work and one didn't go to my floor and was already full, If I pushed 3'rd floor it went down in basement.).

They assign a table for you for entire stay, we did not knew that and they gave us a table next to a freezer that was making annoying noises - after 2 days they managed to change our table.

As for food, prepare for pasta every evening and eggs every morning. The most disgusting thing I ever encountered is that I found at my table an used "clean" glass with lipstick lips on it.

Also ... very sad/angry looking staff, 99% of them are looking at you with a frown face.

Good thing is next to a beach (paid beach).

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Mihai Viorel I

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
  • Czech first
  • Hebrew first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
  • Serbian first
Cambridge, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 9, 2014

Just had a week there and was very disappointed. Our room was cleaned but it needs a complete revamp very basic, how it got a four star I don't know, more like a two. was not told about the private beach and had to pay 2euro for swimming hat and 5 euro to go in the swimming pool for only 1 hour, what a rip off. My daughter paid a lot of money to take my husband and myself there and she felt so upset as it was not as portrayed. The ac didn't work at all in our rooms,and the shower door fell off. No wifi in the rooms only in the lobby and very expensive. Most of the staff were helpful but their English was very poor. And then came along Gianfranco Aldisio, a wonderfull man what this hotel would do without him I don't know. We saw him as a waiter but our encounters with him was with the bar. Wonderfull barman and he knows his drinks. His daughter is also very sweet and would go out of her way to please. We would not go to this hotel again or recommend it.

Room Tip: don't go.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
4 Thank Jackie H

Travelers are raving about these Giardini Naxos hotels

Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 12, 2013

Stayed here as par of a tour group in early October this year.
The hotel is situated right on the beach front and my room had a prime view of the beach.
The only real bad point of the hotel was that the air conditioning had been switched off from 5th September (apparently this occurs every year), however we were in the midst of a hot and humid late summer, which meant the room and the whole hotel was unbearably hot! Other than this point, I would give it higher rating. Suffice to say, I had spent most of my time either on the beach, at a local bar or on my balcony, so the lack of air conditioning wasn't too big of an issue for me.
The set menu dinners provided were average, the breakfast choice was great.
Close enough to nearby Taormina, but in my opinion better place to stay, meant that it was in an ideal location for a typical Sicilian beach side holiday. I would definitely be back, if I had a chance, but next time before they switch off the air-con for the cooler months!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
5 Thank Rob G
romania
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 26, 2013

The hotel is separated from the beach by the road. You spot it immediately among the frontline buildings due to the architecture and the large name-sign on top. Parking the car is with near zero chances, but the hotel is prepared with a private car parking company who will resolve the problem for you (against charge, but it takes the care off your mind). Very good and helpfull reception staff. Our room was small, but it must have been the least expensive, so i don't blame them, and presume other rooms are better. I didn't have the chance to try the spa, but it was big advertisment about it. Considering location, price, it was excellent choice for us.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank forised
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 25, 2013

I stayed here in the July great weather , stunning beach , typical Sicilian seaside hotel , amazing food , red wine , service , great shops , restaurants , best months June , July , September , October , just wished it had a swimming pool

• Stayed July 2013
1 Thank Marco M
Bucharest
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 29, 2013

Reading the previous reviews I had doubts about our vacation, but after we arrived I realised that the hotel was more than ok; in my country this would be a 3 stars hotel but in a few words, the rooms were clean, the maid was everyday cleaning and supplying us all that we need in the bathroom, etc. Don't expect big rooms, because the hotel has small ones. Each room is different in size and shape. We stayed in 506, wich is made of 2 separate rooms (we had boooked for 3 beds). One of the rooms had a big terrace, part of the hotel terrace from the 5th floor. I have to mention that our room had a spectacular view of Etna, which everyday we were admiring the smoke that was comming up from the vulcano. We had halfboard, breakfast was ok for Italy style, dinner was very good: we had buffet of salads and appetizers, soup of the day, and then a pasta (chose from 2 choises with one evening before) and a fish or meat course (chose with one evening before) plus a desert...yammy! Regarding internet, yes, you have to pay 3 euro/20 minutes. TIP: if you go outside on the terrace, to the right side (when you look to the see) you can connect to the Sabbie D'oro free internet (it's a hotel close to Sporting)...I recommend also the pizzeria close to the hotel (Randez-vous), very nice pizza with Rucolla and scallops in wine. The best beach close to hotel is Sabbie D'oro (5 euro/bed, 4 euro/umbrella), is not so crowded and when you enter the water is sand, not so many stones. You can visit also Taormina using the bus which you can ask at the reception for info regarding the bus stop, is 2,80 round trip ticket.Enjoy your stay! The only minus is regarding the noise of the small street, where our windows were facing. There is noise from the traffic or people (you know in Italy everybody is speacking loud :-) ). But you can sleep with the window closed and use air conditioned; after a while you will get used with the noise made by it.

Room Tip: If you choose a standard room, ask for the 5th floor, you will see Etna!
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank lumidobri
Tarxien, Malta
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 10, 2013

We would like to thank all staff of the Hotel Sporting Baia for making our holiday an excellent one. Food was great and even the service at the restaurant, special thanks goes to Marcello the waiter for his full support and service with a smile. Special thanks also goes to the supportive staff at the reception area, their support and information for us was very helpful. Thanks also goes to the maid (the one we know is the tall one) that kept our room very tidy and full of clean laundry.
We travel a lot and we do recommend Sporting Baia to those who want a relaxing supportive holiday.
Grazie di coure a tutti e saluti da Malta

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple