“Watch out for the rules! You must ask for the newly revamped rooms!”
Review of Hotel Villa Mora

Hotel Villa Mora
Ranked #25 of 38 Hotels in Giardini Naxos
Sligo
“Watch out for the rules! You must ask for the newly revamped rooms!”
Reviewed June 24, 2009

Hotel was lovely and clean and nicely dercorated. There are two rooms that are called superior - you must ensure you book one of these or do not book at all - they do cost extra. The owner is a control freak and very unpolite - like she is doing you a favour by letting you stay there. Very poor customer service skills. We felt like Children under her control. A few times there were errors with change given and we felt this happened a bit to often - although always corrected! You have to pay a parking fee of €6.00 euro from 10am to 10pm and from 10pm to 10am - so allocate another €12.00 into the price of your stay. You are not allowed to take the bath towels to the beach- you can rent however for 3.00 per day (dont be fooled into thinking you can sneak one out as Furlong will know!) You can buy for € 7.00 down the street. All said it was a lovely stay and owner must be met for the pure entertainment value but be fore warned.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Wokingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 27, 2008

What a horrible hotel!

In summary: dark, cramped, dirty rooms and the bathroom was filthy. Balconies look out onto brick walls and into private residence balconies and the bathrooms were disgusting - you didn't want to shower in them they were that mucky and there were bugs crawling around on the floor.

We booked 2x Double ensuite rooms in the hotel via Venere in January 2008, and received an email in Febuary 2008 directly from the hotel confirming the booking. We then emailed 3wk prior to arrival and received an email direct from the hotel to confirm booking.

We arrived at the hotel to be told that the hotel had no knowledge of us coming until earlier that morning when they just "found" the reservation and if we didn't like the rooms we could speak to the manager the next day. We were given 2 horrible, dark and dingy rooms. When we asked for alternative rooms we were told that there were not any apart from 1 family room which was slightly bigger.

We then spoke to the manager on the phone who was very rude, basically called us liars about the hotel acknowledging the reservations. As it was fairly late in the day when we arrived, we stayed one night, instead of the 3 that we were supposed to.

The rooms were very noisy at night, everytime a toilet was flushed in the hotel, the plumbing rattled in the walls, trains rattling past.

When we left the next day, the hotel manageress advised that the standard of rooms were the same throughout the hotel, just the view from the balconies differed.

I feel that our experience of this hotel is not a one-off - we saw 3 hotel rooms in the hotel and they were all horrible and dirty.

I would really recommend that you do not use this hotel.

• Liked — Booking into another, clean hotel and showering away the grime!
  • Disliked — It was a dump.
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank bikergirl
Newbury
Reviewed July 25, 2008

We stayed at Villa Mora for just over a week during July 2008 on a bed and breakfast basis.
The atmosphere is quiet and friendly. It felt secure and relaxed. The rooms and lounges are clean and comfortable, furnished in the local tradition.
The position in Naxos is ideal for the sea front, harbour, all the local restaurants, and just wandering. Naxos itself bustles when the sun goes down, but in that pleasant, good-natured way that the Italians have when on holiday.
We found it handy for exploring eastern Sicily by car as Naxos has easy access to the Autostrada and main roads.
Villa Mora is close to public transport (bus and train) so a car is not a necessity, or advisable unless you subscribe to the local 'con brio' driving style. Parking is on the blue line and scratchcard permit system (6 euros a day).
The hotel owners and staff are very helpful and informative about the local area, attractions and the best way to get around. (The town's Information Centre itself is only a couple of hundred metres away.) - Don't miss a trip up Etna!
At the rear you can hear the main road and railway (for a few seconds) with the balcony doors open, but it is not intrusive. The air-con was necessary at night and worked well.
The hotel facilities are limited; do not expect any luxury add-ons and you will not be disappointed.

• Stayed July 2008
1 Thank artbed
Glasgow
Reviewed June 18, 2008

I always check Tripadvisor before booking a hotel, but there's an art to interpreting people's opinions. The US reviewers seem obsessed by the size of the breakfast, bathroom, and bath towels, so I take any complaints with a pinch of salt. The British seem almost oblivious to cleanliness, but the French take it very seriously indeed.

However this experience has taught me that I haven't quite got the hang of it. Maybe I was too impressed by the price, and that made me put more faith in the positive reviews than the negatives. Or maybe I'm just a fussier traveler than I used to be.

Here's the information I wished I'd known - I'll start with the positive. The location is handy for the public beach and not too bad for the bus service to other towns. The staff are helpful and attentive (the owner's style is quite brusque, but nonetheless efficient). Now the negatives:

- noisy scooters go past the front of the hotel pretty much all the time (especially at weekends) - Sicilians seem to love scooters, and the louder the better!
- noisy trains go past the back of the hotel, but much less frequently
- sound-proofing between rooms is minimal - if you're early to bed you'll probably be able to follow the conversations going on in the next room.
- very low water pressure - only just enough to have a shower, and very annoying for anyone trying to wash longer hair
- breakfast is pretty miserly - even by Italian standards - and the "american" coffee is very weak. Go round the corner to a proper cafe and you'll get great coffee and a delicious chocolate croissant for 2€
- (this is a general point about Giardini) the train station is a good 20-30 mins walk, and parts of the walk are along a busy road with no pavement, so bear that in mind if you'll be dragging a suitcase and wear bright clothing if you're going at night!

So I've learned that if the price seems good, and some of the reviews sound good, it's still important to consider the complaints.

• Stayed May 2008, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Dion-Valmont
Barnet
Reviewed September 11, 2007

This hotel was a great find. It's at the slightly quieter end of Giardini Naxos (the other end looked a bit tacky). We had a front room with balcony (with a bit of a sea view) and didn't find it noisy at all, though we used the quiet air conditioner. Breakfast was lovely with good coffee! The beach straight across the road was perfect. There are lots of local restaurants and the bus stop to Taormina was close by. Anne was really helpful. We would have liked to stay longer!

Jill and David Parry, Barnet UK

• Liked — Lovely clean bright room, easy access to beach, balcony, good breakfast.
  • Disliked — I didn't check well enough how to find it.
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank JillPaz
Edinburgh
Reviewed August 24, 2007

The Hotel Villa Mora is located about as plumb central in Giardini Naxos as it is possible to get. This makes getting anywhere barely more than a short walk, and getting to the beach a scarcely arduous two minute stroll.

It's a reasonably priced 2/3 star hotel with 17 rooms. It is owned by a German/Italian couple and is attentively staffed by themselves and other locals. It's tastefully decorated with Sicilian artefacts (which some have incredibly mistaken as tat, but these are people who probably think the pyramids could use a bit of plaster work...). The staff are attentive and helpful without being invasive - they are at the distance you want them to be. The guy who does the late shift on the reception (Carmello?) was a gem and helped us with excursion bookings, recommended restaurants that turned out to be amongst the best, and he made sure I didn't run out of beers in the evening ;-).

The hotel is almost spotlessly clean, and as long as you remember to leave your key at reception, during the day (which we didn't always do...) your room will be serviced. These hotels typically show signs of, ...erm, idiosyncratic plumbing and creative electrical work, and the Villa Mora is not an exception, but everything worked, in our room at least, and whilst you'd get something more efficiently homogenised from a Ramada or a Hyatt, if you're in the Villa Mora then that's not what you're here for (or you're not wanting to have to afford that).

The breakfasts are a small cut above the rather minimalist fayre that some alberghi offer. The Italians are not great breakfasters, but the Villa Mora churns out a reasonable spread of ham, cheese, salami, rolls, bread, cake, tea, coffee and fruit which is perfectly adequate for a good start to the day.

We were in the hotel the week after "Califbob" was there, and our experience couldn't have been more different (although it's true that we were a family and he/she was on his/her own). I'm surprised Califbob wasn't familiar with the looooong established tradition of late July/early August as *the* holiday season for the Italians (not just in Sicily) even though he/she is "quite culturally attuned" to the area....

• Liked — Clean, friendly, reasonably good value
  • Disliked — Late nite noise from the street outside... but it's the same all over Italy...
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled with family
1 Thank Ray_Edinburgh
Portland, Oregon
Reviewed July 26, 2007

I found this hotel via 2 of the more popular travel books for the Sicily region. I wound up writing to both of these travel books immediately upon returning to the states. I am an architect in the States and moreover, my parents immigrated from about 50 miles south of the hotel, so I speak both Italian and the Sicilian dialect and am quite culturally attuned to the area.

I called and spoke with Anna, the German owner, who is married to Nando, apparently a Sicilian. She was very nice and answered my concerns about parking, travel to the hotel and instructed me how to make the reservation via FAX. I called back within a day to see if she received it at which point, she became quite nasty, telling me she was tied up with a guest. I should have cancelled but did not know at the time that Sicily has a very defined tourist season and that you can just about pick your rooms in mid May.

Once I got there, the room was miniscule. I stayed in it one night and then told them that "my college days were way behind me" and I needed to change to something nicer or I would need to leave. Nando told me I would go into another room, with a view. At the last minute, I got the "bait and switch" because he had erred, but I still got a larger room with no view whatsoever, though I did have to pay a little more than the miniscule room I left behind. I should have left the hotel.

Lastly, I was in my room at about 4 or 5 pm taking a light nap. The door was locked as I had checked. Suddenly, the door opened. I got up right away to see who had opened it and saw no one there.

The pluses are that it is right by the sea, but then so are all the others, there is a decent breakfast and it is affordable, but then so are all the others in the Spring season.

I was speaking with another traveler, also traveling solo, who was a doctor in his 30s from California. He, too, was quite unhappy with management's tapproach. (While reading some of the information in other posts, it could very well be that they are more hospitable to couples or families than they are to solo travelers, despite obvious professional status). Make your own judgment. I personally found Anna and Nando to be brusque and underhanded, respectively, and was so angered by 4 days of a hellish stay that I wrote back to the tour books.

Incidentally, I was in Sicily last month where I stayed at two other hotels (3 days apiece) where the comfort and the service were excellent and in the 60 E to 70 E range. I will review those shortly and separately.

• Liked — In front of the beach and on a strip with restaurants and internet
  • Disliked — Management, a married couple, were an absolute disappointment
  • Stayed May 2003, traveled solo