“This hotel is a cruise ship in dry dock the queen of hotels”

Hilton Giardini Naxos
Ranked #4 of 38 Hotels in Giardini Naxos
Reviewed December 20, 2012

I, stayed in room 5141.It would be unfair to pick one member of staff out
for praise, from the moment I, drew up in the taxi, which incidently the
hotel arranged from catania airport,till my departure time,all the staff
ticked the right boxes,one member of staff said to me is everything to
your satisfaction, to which I, replied yes, she then went on to say, we
want your stay to be a comfortable one,everyone seemed to have pride
in the hotel,this hotel is in a marvellous position , local transport very
cheap clean and modern, single trip to cantania airport or from to the
hotel 7E90 euro's, this hotel provided me with a better holiday , than my
cruise did in June of this Year

Room Tip: I'm going back in 2013 , I, want my room back if I, can , it was first class,
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank reg954
There are newer reviews for Hilton Giardini Naxos

Reviewed November 29, 2012

Beautiful Sicily, beautiful HIlton! This is a definite return to place for us. As Europe HIltons go, we found this one to be one of the best. Hotel is large and open,on the beach with beautiful views. Front desk staff (Alessandro and Sonya?) were wonderful.
As a Honors, we were upgraded to a "junior suite". When we arrived at our corner suite I was very pleasantly surprised....
This was the most beautiful Hilton suite we stayed in,large 2 rooms with wrap around terrace, in addition to separate terrace off living area. Each night a treat was left for us. The place was so beautiful, I almost did not want to leave!
Breakfast was one of the best, wide variety and great service.
However, then we would not have experienced the wonder and beauty of Sicily. I also must mention the housekeeping staff who were so pleasant and did a great job.
You can get a taxi or bus to Taormina, Don't miss this.
Our only regret is we did not stay longer. This Hilton was wonderful.

Room Tip: corner suites
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank diopat
Reviewed November 16, 2012

The only hotel I have ever been to where the rooms are actually better than the photos!
GM Allesandro is a fantastic host and will accommodate your requirements as best they can. We were on business as well as holiday, we were relying on great internet, as well as great relaxation, and this hotel provides it all. The beach/pool staff were outstanding, the front desk was a delight every time we walked past them, and no request, no matter how small, was not met with friendly and professional attitude. As for value for money it rates the best I have ever had in all of Europe.

Room Tip: All the rooms are great, avoid the ones with early morning sun if you can (unless you are an early r...
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank tpickard
Reviewed November 9, 2012

From the moment we check in it was all WOW! Spacious lobby with a lot of sofa to sit in and relax. Our spacious room was on the fifth floor. It was on the very end but on the sude but you could still see a quarter of the beach , funny thing is the sound of the waves makes me sleep soundly. Balcony was a welcome one as well.
It was easy to relax on the beach by using the back entrance of the lobby. October was great because it on the low season.
AC was working great.
Plenty of good restaurants in front of the hotel. There are small supermarket on either side of the hotel.
From the hotel if you want to go up Taormina you can catch a bus not far from the hotel. Be sure to ask reception for a print out of bus schedule roundtrip. You pay cheaper for roundtrip.
Overall we have a wonderful three days stay.

Room Tip: Rooms overlooking the beach is a must, but you have to pay more.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank SCT0356
Reviewed November 5, 2012

july 2012:- flew to catania and took the local bus to reconati stop, the hotel is a 4 minute walk. staff from beginning to end were so friendly, especially around the pool. towels for sunbeds were free if returned to the guys at the beach kiosk (they record your room number) coffees at the bar among the best throughout the trip, the supermarket across the road is the ONLY place to get paninis as we learned right here:-) its about a 20 minute walk to giardini and the strip of restaurants. we ate from restaurants recommended on tripadvisor, and would have found it difficult to spend more than €140 for 4. i'm aware that would be a modest budget in taormina, but that's one of the plusses in staying at the hilton in reconati. one report here suggested the beach is a 20 minute walk away, that's the public beach however, complete with a small waterpark ; the hotel beach is just below the pool.
we were initially disgruntled as we weren't given the seaview room we'd requested in january (these were all allocated to corporate guests) but i came around to thinking that perhaps we'd been done a favour-sitting in direct sunlight at 40c temperature mightn't have been too pleasant- that said, we DID enjoy a poolview, the pool in question belonging to the hellenia next door :-)
our aircon went awol late one evening on our return from dinner, and a call to reception resulted in a visit from a handyman after 11 at night. he didnt manage to solve the problem, but you couldnt fault the service!
its a short trip by local bus to beautiful taormina, and if you fancy a taxi it'll set you back €20. hotel staff arranged a daytrip to syracusa, which will be a stunning memory i'll hold of a day trip with my daughter in my (rapidly advancing) old age.
composing this report i've a mental image of standing on the patio facing the sea watching passing boats, bliss!!

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
4  Thank oscar3363
Reviewed November 5, 2012

This is not a Hilton hotel. None of the consistency and quality on which this brand is built is present here. I am a Diamond member and have stayed in Hiltons across the world, but this is undoubtedly the worst.

Hygiene standards are unacceptable. We arrived several days after a volcanic episode from nearby Etna, and throughout our stay, the volcanic dust in the communal areas and at the bottom of the pool was not cleaned away, which, while not dangerous in itself, made the hotel look very uncared for, and highlighted the fact that the communal areas (including the gardens, the pool, the pool showers, and the pool toilets) were not being cleaned. To say they were disgusting is an understatement. They had clearly not been cleaned all season and the smell was truly disgusting. I took photos on the first day and the last day of our stay – it is clear that no attempt had been made to clean them in any way during the 6 days we were there. The changing room for the pool was filled with pool cleaning equipment and therefore not available for its designated use. I can only assume that the pool cleaning equipment was not being used at all, due to the filthy state of the pool. To fail to clean a swimming pool with large quantities of visible dirt in it in 6 days is not acceptable.

One of the things I like about Hilton is that all their hotels are different but retain consistency. However, the Hilton Giardini Naxos takes different to a whole new level. I appreciate that hotel refits are expensive, but I suggest that if the hotel is to remain in the portfolio, it needs this investment. The décor is from 60 years ago – my husband described it as akin to ‘The Shining’. During one of our long waits to be served at the bar, we witnessed groups of people coming in to laugh at the lobby area and leave again. Bizarre doesn't even cover it - and frankly words fail me to describe the mural in the breakfast room.

All of this, however, could and would have been forgiven had the service not been so lamentable. It is only possible to describe it as inconsistent due to the solo efforts of Salvatore, who seemed to be keeping the bar, the restaurant and the breakfast room going single handedly when he was on duty. Every other member of staff we had the misfortune to deal with was unhelpful, rude, neglectful or all three at once. There is no customer care or service of any kind here. On arrival, we were told that the Executive Lounge was closed for refurbishment until the end of the year, and to compensate for this, I would get free wi-fi for the duration of the stay and a token for 2 free drinks per night. We managed to use the drinks token on 3 nights – one of those nights we had to sit at the bar for more than 40 minutes before anyone arrived to take our order – this despite the bar being 20m from Reception where a bored Receptionist stood doing nothing, watching but not assisting us. We went to her twice to ask for some service, to be greeted with a shrug. Luckily, Salvatore was on hand another night, and tended bar as well as he could while he was also serving in the restaurant.

Reception were equally unhelpful when I asked for water in the room – something which I have received in every other Hilton as a given and without request. When I asked for some water to be left in the room, I was told I could pay the minibar fee for it, and when I asked why it wasn’t complementary (especially given the total lack of Executive Lounge facilities), I was told if I didn’t want to pay the minibar price, I could get some from the supermarket up the street! (which incidently is recommended)

The free wifi I received as a Diamond member did not connect either in the room or the communal areas – when this was raised with Reception I received another shrug and no assistance.

I was also given a voucher to use for a free treatment in the newly opened spa – having seen the cleanliness of the pool and toilet facilities, I was reluctant to use the voucher, but eventually did so to give it a chance – only to find the doors to it locked from the garden entrance and the indoor pool in total darkness and clearly not in use during the day. I tried to access it from the hotel side later that day, and found the doors locked here too (all within the stated opening hours). Needless to say, my query at Reception as to opening hours and how to use my voucher was met with more shrugs.

We were so appalled by the hotel that we visited several other hotels in the vicinity to attempt to establish whether the standard of accommodation was the same everywhere in the location – but instead found appealing, welcoming hotels for a fraction of the price just metres away. Little wonder the Hilton Giardini Naxos was so empty.

We visited the Hilton Giardini Naxos in April, and this may account for the seeming lack of staff to man the bar, the spa and perform basic cleaning in communal areas – but if the hotel is open, surely there should be enough staff to provide adequate service in these fundamental services? Hilton are losing customers due to this – one night as we sat waiting at the bar for someone (anyone!) to come and serve us, a group came in off the street to have drinks. After 20 minutes waiting and 2 requests to Reception for service, they left again. I wished we could have.

It’s taken months for me to post this review – I wrote to Hilton to put my issues to them and give them a chance to rectify my impressions before I posted this review, but only received a pitiful response which addressed none of my concerns – so here is the full review. I won’t hold my breath that the issues will be noted now, either. My feeling is that they just don't care enough to respond. I will upload photos as well – some are not for the fainthearted, I’m afraid.

I’ve seen lots of positive reviews posted up since our stay – perhaps this is reflective of off/on season and you just need to avoid this place out of high season. One thing’s for sure – I won’t be going back to check.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
7  Thank Steve'sBird
Reviewed November 5, 2012

The place is awesome! Just in front of the beach, quiet, lovely view to the vulcano!
The service is good the rooms are have nice furniture and are very comfortable. The rooms are very clean, the beach is kinda deep but the water is very warm, calm and blue.
I had an unforgettable trip!

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends
Atahotel Capotaormina
Atahotel Capotaormina
#15 of 87 in Taormina
NH Catania Parco Degli Aragonesi

Been to Hilton Giardini Naxos? Share your experiences!