All reviews train line nice promenade staff was very friendly and helpful parking place easy access to the beach great hotel two nights plugs lido euros luggage balcony receptionist cereal tv taormina
Reviewed November 9, 2017

We stayed here in June (forgot to do review at the time). We found staff were very helpful, the room was excellent - very clean Breakfast was great. Beach convenient, just across the road. Only problem was with the shortage of parking spaces.

Date of stay: June 2017
  • Trip type: Traveled with family
Reviewed October 16, 2017

The hotel itself was fine. However, it was very noisy - slamming doors and noisy neighbors. The breakfast was outstanding. Unfortunately, my husband and I did not think that the staff were very friendly. They seemed to be put out when we asked them questions. I would stay somewhere else if returning to Giardini Naxos.

Date of stay: October 2017
  • Trip type: Traveled as a couple
1  Thank DogLoverDebbie
Reviewed October 12, 2017

The worst possible time to find this place is rush-hour! Zillions of cars, streets only millimetres in width, pedestrians who believe life is not worth living, and a numbering system that almost vanishes from view on any refurbished property!

Apart from that, we had luck all the way! The first number that either my wife or I saw was just 50 numbers away from the hotel… but which way on the one-way street? I leapt out of the car, having jammed myself into an awkward place reserved for patrons of a restaurant, but left spouse snd engine ticking over, enquired of an oriental chap manning a counter in a drug store (chemists, apothecary, farmacusa, and many other names!), whereby he looked a little foggy and said he thought maybe back along this one-way street!

In order to retrace my steps (or tires) I had to first, proceed to a small left turn and then duplicate my route! As I was about to swear, curse, exclaim, utter profanities, etc, I saw the hotel and dived into a parking place about 10 yards from the hotel front door just past on a meter!

Not knowing that the parking advertised on this specific legal 'garage-type door' was not, in fact, the entrance to underground parking! Marina exited and spoke with the receptionist, who, after 10 minutes of difficult negotiation, told us that she would pay the night's parking at the meter, as the public tickets were 5 euros from 9pm til 9am because there were 5 hours left before 9 pm. We would not have been ready to leave at 9am!

We checked in and were given 4th floor room by the lift. Actually very nice, even tho' it was bright green… whit would have been better! It was a deluxe and not the standard, that I was told I had booked. A pleasant little balcony, with table and 2 chairs, tiled floor and a wrought iron railing!

The room boasted 2 plugs only for 10,000 electronic devices that we all carry, but with my own adapters, etc, we managed quite well. The shower was good, clean towels, comfortable kingsized bed, clean linen, with extras in the wardrobes if needed. A/C not needed and a well-used train line just 50 meters from the balcony. Oddly enough, yes, we could hear the trains, but they were small and fast - not a problem!

Breakfast was on the main floor… a good continental, with cereals, milk, juices, tea, coffee etc., and enough sweet-eats to kill a diabetic (like me!)

All-in-all, we enjoyed our stay and felt that we had a good deal (partly because of parking) and because of the upgrade from standard to luxury.

For the energetic and fine weather walkers, the 'beach' is but 80 meters, directly out of the hotel front door and across the reverse one-way street to the promenade and sea wall!

I recommend it!

Room tip: Ask for luxury - it is worth the price, but I understand some rooms overlook the roads. I think our view was much better!
Date of stay: October 2017
  • Trip type: Traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 23, 2017 via mobile

This review is kind of a tale of two halves... I'll start with the good!

Check in was quick. Staff are very friendly and willing to help with any queries.

The hotel although small, is very modern. Our room was gorgeous (pictured). Had lots of storage, very clean, a nice space to relax in. We also had a very large balcony (pictured) overlooking the train track. Rooms were cleaned everyday.

The location is the reason why I booked this hotel. It is in the heart of Giardini Naxos, just at the beginning of what I would call the 'main strip'. I'll come back to location in the negatives.

Each day the hotel gives you a voucher for their section of private beach just across the road. This is handy if you don't want to walk to another section of beach or if you would rather not pay.

Hotel were happy to hold our luggage on our last day before we left for the airport.

Negatives...

We paid extra for a room with a garden view. Although our view was pretty (pictured), it overlooked a train track and adjacent apartments, not a garden. I think this is misleading.

Breakfast was very limited. No bread (only mini bread rolls). No toaster. No hot food.

The location as mentioned above is good. However, we did most of our socialising up the far end of the 'strip' where the main bars/beach clubs are. It's about a 10/15 minute walk to this area however, there didn't seem to be many hotels up that end.

The hotel was very very noisy. I've read below complaints about the noise of the train but I didn't find that too bad. Our neighbours were EXTREMELY noisy. The doors need to be slammed almost to close and the neighbours door was constantly slamming from 7am. The hotel is very echoey and this made the noise worse. I actually didn't sleep well at all here unfortunately because of the noise.

TV has lots of channels but not one English Channel apart from Paramount which occasionally had an English movie on.

I really liked this hotel but would only stay again if the noise was dealt with as I was exhausted leaving.

Date of stay: August 2017
Trip type: Traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 22, 2017 via mobile

I stayed at the hotel as a last minute booking, so didn't have much choice as most hotels in the area were fully booked. Wow I was so impressed.
The hotel is very clean and modern inside. Right on the beach with a private lido in giardini.
The staff are very helpful and friendly. Also helped me and my friends with parking nearby.
I travel to Sicily every summer and I will be staying at this hotel next year- I have stayed in hotels in giardini before and this one in my opinion is the best.
To all the staff at Hotel San Giovanni. Grazie tanto. E ci vediamo prossima estate 2018.
Antonella