“Hotel Imperial”

Ranked #13 of 49 Hotels in Garda
croydon
“Hotel Imperial”
Reviewed May 24, 2013

M husband and i stayed here in may for 10 nights, we have stayed in Garda many times before, but not in this hotel. The hotel was in a good location within a shortwalk to lake front and ferries, The rooms were clean, the hotel friendly, well maintained gardens with lots of seating areas to relax, pool looked great, although we did nt used it. and the food was very good, we will look forward to returning soon.

Room Tip: stayed in a room at the back of hotel, opposite a bakery and a school at the end of the road...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank moanies

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (89)
Southwold
Reviewed May 16, 2013

What a Gem! Excellent food and service. We found the gala night really good and disagree with other reviews. Those that like a smaller friendly hotel will like this one. We did. Family run hotel and all staff were helpful and the hotel is very convenient just a short walk to the lake, boats and shops, buses were useful too. Garda is such a beautiful place you won't spend much time in the room. Hotel garden is lovely and neatly kept. Swimming pool and lots of sitting areas. We enjoyed our stay here.

Room Tip: Choose pool view or back location for quieter room at night, as some are noisy nearer the road but y...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank artistatwork
Glasgow, Scotland.
Reviewed May 3, 2013

My wife and I stayed here in late May 2012 so apologies for the delay in writing this review. We have some friends staying here this months so I thought I would express my thoughts on the Imperial Hotel, Garda. Please excuse the "book".

This is a nice little family run hotel situated in the heart of Garda. We have stayed in other villages around the lake over the years so it was time to try Garda itself after a day trip back in 2011.

We booked a non pool view room and we were situated at the quiet rear part of the hotel, right across form the local bakers shop. It was a nice room and it was in the shade for most of the day and that suited us just fine. The balcony was a good size and the room itself was nice and clean and again, it was a good size with a nice shower area and comfortable double bed. It also had air conditioning. You will probably need. I will chat about that in a minute.

The hotel is very clean and has a large dining area. The breakfast is a large continental type buffet and that did the job just fine. The evening dinner was fine. It was nothing special nor out of the ordinary but the portions were decent. While at dinner there is a piece of paper with tomorrow's choice of dinners, so you just tick what you would like for the next day. That worked well. The waiters are just fantastic and are more than helpful. Bottles of wine were the usual three star dinner price at around £10. We were leaving very early on our last morning for a flight to Glasgow but the hotel opened the breakfast area for us which was great. Thanks for the thought as it was very much appreciated.

The hotel foyer is nice and roomy with toilets and access to the pool bar, with access to the rear entrance of the hotel. The flowers are always fresh and are changed and mollycoddled by staff every day. The owners are sticklers for perfection. Most people were drinking an orange coloured drink called an Aperol Spritz (or Spritzers) and they went down well with guests as they discounted them during the week we stayed there. If you have not tried one then please do, as it is the staple drink around the towns of Lake Garda.

The pool area is nice and clean and there were sun beds for everyone. Try to avoid the sun beds near the small pond within the grounds as it has stagnant water, and based on the amount of mosquito's being zapped by the machine, it is obviously a breeding ground for them.

The small pool is not heated so it is really cold but as it was unseasonably hot at around 100 degrees every day at the end of May last year with little or no breeze, and around 88 to 90 degrees at 11pm, that pool was a pleasure to jump in to, even though you thought you may have a heart attack on initial contact with the cold water. Everyone was in that pool while we were there and it was fantastic due to the heat. It was also the ideal time to chat to fellow guests and we met a nice couple from Newcastle that we are still in contact with.

The loungers and seats around the hotel were ideal for sitting out before bedtime or in the evening or for enjoying your coffee after breakfast.

The air conditioning was a must due to the heat of the day.

The once a week evening barbecue was very good. The elderly man doing the entertainment was pretty awful. Honestly, get rid of him and get someone who can actually sing please. The the food was very nice and perfectly cooked. Don't be deceived by going up to the buffet and munching away on what you think is your dinner. That is just the first course before all the meat dishes are served. The sausages and various salads were superb.

It appeared to my wife and I that the owners keep a tight ship and the staff did appear to be a little stressed and agitated at times. The long hours they work does not help but they were kept under pressure by the owners, regularly. The staff are a great bunch of people.

We will probably not be back in the town of Garda as we prefer the prettier and more mountainous area around the north part of the lake where Limone, Malcesine, Torbole and Riva are situated. The north part of the lake also have a prevailing wind after around 11am so that is where you will find the windsurfers and the cooler temperatures. We have stayed in Torbole, Riva and twice in Malcesine in the past five years. All are well worth a visit and your best way to get to Torbole and Riva is the local bus. The local bus station is out of the main hotel area (past the pond), turn right until you get to the roundabout then turn left. It is only around 50 yards on your left.

As I said, we will not be back in Garda Town but this little hotel is the ideal place to stay when in the town of Garda, so go and enjoy yourselves.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
7 Thank j111dja12
Nuneaton
Reviewed October 3, 2012

The staff were very helpful at all times. The food was generally good, but I really didn't enjoy the Gala Night (I know tat they were trying to please, but I prefer the more simple fare). The owners family eat there and eat the same food as the visitors; this reflects in the normal good standard of the food. The rooms were clean and the facilities were good. We sat by the pool whilst drinking cool drinks. There were plenty of sun loungers for those who wanted to sun bathe. The hotel is not too far from the lake and there are plenty of good restaurants by the lake. We went for an enjoyable walk along the lake and ate good Italian food at restaurants. We also went on the ferries to other parts of the lake.

The only real disappointment was the provision of facilities for those who had to use a wheelchair; if you can't get out of the wheelchair then the lack of ramps could be a problem.

The blinds were heavy to operate; so this could be a problem for some people.

I would recommend this hotel and miss the Gala Night unless you really like Italian fine dining.

Room Tip: I had a room at the front facing the bakery, but this wasn't a real problem; close the window so...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
6 Thank Papillion-KW
Cardiff
Reviewed October 1, 2012

First the good news: the room and the hotel was impeccably clean. It was also conveniently located just minutes away from the centre of Garda. We had a balcony overlooking the pool and frankly if I went again I wouldn't bother paying the extra for that. Firstly, Garda is such a lovely place you won't spend time on the balcony. Secondly just beyond the perimiter of the hotel pool and sunbathing area is a childrens' play area and that was quite noisy at times. We were also woken up at 3am by drunken guests. If this was a Premier Inn we would have been offered a refund for that night. We did get an apology, when we asked. The hotel staff should have made more effort to keep the drunks quiet. I wonder if the night porter was even on duty. There's also a hotel accross the road which had 'entertainment' outside in the evenings. If you don't share their taste in music then this could be an irritation.

If I were to stay at this hotel again I would select B&B rather than half-board. There are plenty of value restaurants in Garda. The food at the Imperial was at best 'fair'. Breakfasts were fine, although we didn't try the cooked breakfast and there could have been a better selection of fruit.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Teithwyr
Chester
Reviewed September 23, 2012

My wife and I returned on 22nd September after a week in Hotel Imperial. Overall, this is a lovely hotel - food was very good, and the staff were very helpful and friendly (except that someone should teach young Alexandra, usually behind the bar, to smile -as I'm sure Pauline and Colin would agree !).

As another reviewer has mentioned, they have a Gala Dinner each Thursday evening, which was very enjoyable; however, I think it should start earlier because when we were there it went on till rather late.

We would definitely go back to this hotel.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank JimTChester
ARIANNA S, Responsabile reception at Hotel Imperial, responded to this review, May 1, 2013
Dear JimTChester, first of all thank you for taking the time to comment on our hotel. I appreciate your comments on the efferts of our staff to make our clients stay pleasurable, and I have made the staff member named aware of your impression, these help to improve our overall performace. Thanking you once again I hope to have the possibility to welcome you back again soon.
Essex
Reviewed September 14, 2012

My partner and I went to this hotel in August. The staff are friendly and helpful and nothing is too much trouble. The hotel is kept very clean and tidy and is only a short walk from the lake. I can see why people return here.On a Thursday evening they have a gala dinner, where the tables are set out for dinner instead of the dining room.

Unfortunately 3 days into my holiday my appendix decided to burst and I spent 8 days in hospital, I am now recovering slowly at home. I would like to thank all the staff at the Imperial who helped my partner while I was in hospital. We will be going back next year to see all the things we missed!!!!!!

Room Tip: I think most of the rooms were fine but some people said the rooms with a pool view were best.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank EssexGirl51
Dear EssexGirl51, thank you for finding the time to post your positive comment during your recovery. I am sure that during your next visit you will get the chance to experiance what you missed with your partner.