“To avoid if you've small kids!”

Grand Hotel Michelacci Kosher Hotel
Ranked #61 of 61 Hotels in Gabicce Mare
Italy
“To avoid if you've small kids!”
Reviewed April 28, 2006

We went there during the summer time to live the beach with a small kid (1y old) and we preferred this place as we were concerned about having some food-support for small kids still having a good place to stay for my wife and myself. Nothing was as we expected!

We made the reservation and we asked how far was the beach, they told us few meters but from the beach to the hotel is a long stair ...something like 200steps (imagine with a small kid+all the stuff).

We asked for some food for the kid (as we agreed on the phone when we reserved), they took us food for adults. I complained, they took it back the same simply cooler. I complained againg and they said that a 1y/old kid can eat french fries, this is what they mean as food for kid.

I asked for an appropriate bed for 1y/old kid and they gave me an old rolling bed not appropriate for him.

Emergency exit and stairs for fire (at 2nd floor) was occupied by old beds, carpets, garbage etc... and it could be dangerous to escape in case of emergency (unfortunately it seriously happened to me and I have a clear idea of the importance of having an emergency exit "clean"), I took photo of this serious issue.

I asked to have some more care, if possible. They answered that none ever complained and that i was the first since a long time.

There is a Public Turist Office that is there for turists complaints and to help to find hotels (but it is not a travel agency), it is provided by the municipality. Excellent service! I complained with them and they told me that they receive several complains like mine for the same hotel (contradicting what the front desk pretended to say). They asked me to write a formal complain to be addressed to the Public Relation Office of the municipality, I did and that's all (I got an answer by letter, something like "we will take care of it...or so".

After 2 days we asked to leave because the hotel did not meet our expectations and not even the needs of a 1y/old kid. They still said it was our fault because we did want to adapt ourself to the hotel (!).
Since we made the reservation for 1week, they charged 4days as well because we did not give the cancellation in advance (2 days at the price of 4). We complained but we left, we had enough.
We added the loss of money for the 2 additional days into the formal complain we sent to the Pulic Relation Office of the Municipality only to prove that we were seriously upset.

In summary, I cannot recommend to family with small kids ...but if they like french fries, go there and you'll be happy with that.

• Stayed July 2005
8 Thank That_is_me

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
  • Slovak first
Looe, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 15, 2005

We stayed in May 2003 - not in the Kosher section.
The rooms were OK but the bathrooms were tiny - in one of them our feet were almost in the shower when we sat on the toilet! We had to upgrade to get a decent size bathroom. The cleaning was not great but when we complained to the owner, she immediately sent someone to do it again and it improved.

The indoor pool is very tiny. A lot of seaweed accumulates in the sea just along from the hotel and has to be removed and taken away by a lorry every morning - it really smells unpleasant and where the liquid drips onto the road that smells too.

There is very dim lighting along the passageways to the rooms, which could be hazardous for the elderly.

The food is reasonably good and there are plenty of bars and restaurants around. You can even walk into Cattolica along the coast.

I was in travel for 24 years, love Italy, but cannot say that I would re-visit this hotel or Gabicce Mare.

• Stayed May 2003
7 Thank speedbirdCornwall

Travelers are raving about these Gabicce Mare hotels

A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed August 22, 2004

Stayed in the Kosher section of the hotel from 10 - 18 August 2004. Food was great and Avior, from Kosher Holidays, could not have been more helpful. They give you a menu in the evening for you to chose your meal for the next day. Decided to have sandwhiches for lunch, this was a better choice than always going back to the hotel when we were on the beach. We went with our 2 kids and had rooms 948 & 950 (inter communicating). OK size but the bathrooms were tiny with showers only, no bath. If I had to complain it would be that the cleaning service was not very good and one broken shower remained broken during our stay.
The hotel is in a very central location and close to the shops and 1 minute from the beach.
I would stay there again and my kids never complained. Both said that they enjoyed it too.

• Stayed August 2004