“Phenomenal Seafood, Pizza and Dessert”
Review of Da Santarino

Da Santarino
Ranked #6 of 197 Restaurants in Follonica
Dining options: Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
“Phenomenal Seafood, Pizza and Dessert”
Reviewed January 24, 2013

My husband and I took a trip to Italy for our 20th anniversary. One of our friends recommended this restaurant. This is by far THE best Italian restaurant I've ever been to. The food is succulent. My husband and I started with the 5 large grilled shrimp as an appetizer. The shrimp are marinated beforehand and served with homemade cocktail sauce.

Since the shrimp appetizer was so good we both chose the Seafood Linguini. This dish was loaded with baby clams, shrimp, squid and mussels in white wine oil and garlic sauce. Since my husband and I were so full, but we HAD to try a dessert, we split one. Tiramisu is what we chose. As full as we were--after taking a bite-- we thought we had died and gone to heaven!

I was sad when I was too full to eat any more! Thankfully we were in Follonica, Italy for two more days so we ate dinner there again! The pizza was just as fantastic as the Seafood Linguini.

The décor is comfortable but I was disappointed that it didn’t have the red and white checkered table cloths like a lot of Italian Restaurants do in the United States and in the movies. Although I did hear that was normal not to see the red/white checkered tablecloths in ‘real’ Italian Restaurants.

We will definitely be back for our 25th anniversary. I highly recommend this restaurant for anyone that loves delicious food and friendly staff.

• Visited January 2013

Sofia, Bulgaria
“Loved the Octopus...and I'm NOT a seafood person!”
Reviewed January 24, 2013

Mario - my friend and guide on my 'Big Italian trip' convinced me to visit (what he described as) his local restaurant, on the last night of my holiday.

Being from the UK, I don't really eat a lot of seafood, well...OK, I do eat a lot of fish and chips but, that doesn't really count...does it!

Honestly I normally have an aversion to anything 'fishy'! Mario assured me that I coudl break the cycle of my fish phobia by giving Da Santarino a 'go'. Being British, and overly polite I went along with it and was more than pleasently suprised!

I opted for the Octopus in the end as, when else would I have the option?

The food itself: Well presented and good portion sizes. The Octopus was part fried in some uber tasty oils with herbs and what not (forgive me I'm not an expert foodie) and went down really well with a glass or three of red wine.

The prices were more or less mid range, compared to other places visited during the fortnight, both nearby and up to 20-40 miles away (30-60 kilometers).

The feeling of the place was great, very warm and cosy whilst seeming also sophisticated and classy, a great blend!

I am giving Da Santarino 5 stars for two reasons: Firstly it was a great night out, and great end to my holiday and secondly, It well and truly cured me of my phobia of seafood!

Since having my Octopus (which I'm craving now I'm writing and thinking about it) I have had seafood - in restaurants - more than a dozen times...in less than a year!

This place sold it to me and I will be back again, the next time i'm in Italy, which I hope will be soon!

• Visited December 2012
Rosenheim, Germany
“Still the best fish & seafood”
Reviewed January 3, 2013

I came back to this restaurant after 10 years of absence and it is still one of the best places to eat fresh fish and seafood.

First we ordered pasta - one with mussels, the other one with anchovies and capers. A perfect start! Afterwards we deciced for fried calamari and prawns. Really the best fried calamari you can get. Together with some local white wine it was a perfect lunch.

When going back to Follonica, we would never try another restaurant to eat fish. Could be disappointing....

• Visited December 2012
cozumel
“i enjoyed the octopus”
Reviewed December 10, 2012

I arrived to that restaurant by accident, I was in short business trip in Italy and I asked the taxi driver to take me to place with good sea food. Though I’m not a big fan of octopus I started with octopus appetizer, I never take this dish but the waiter spoke good about that and I gave it a try. I enjoyed it very much.
For main dish I had grilled fish accompanied by Italian wine, the fish was perfect with the right amount of spices, as well the dessert was not so bad. But you don’t go for a sea food restaurant just for the dessert.
Usually I don’t like when waiters try to much to satisfy me. It’s seems to me ridiculous and annoying. But there the service was perfect. Speaking about prices they were fair. I would definitely go there again on my next visit and I give my recommendation to eat there.

• Visited November 2012