“must order the pumpkin filled tortellini”
Review of Osteria del Ghetto

Osteria del Ghetto
Ranked #21 of 580 Restaurants in Ferrara
Good for: Families with children, Local cuisine, Large groups
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed June 4, 2012

We were only able to have time for a day trip to Ferrara so we didn't have that much time but I was determined to find Osteria del Ghetto after reading the reviews. I am so glad that we made the effort because that pumpkin filled tortellini was one of the best dishes I had the entire two week trip. Finding this cozy restaurant in the historical Jewish ghetto with winding cobblestoned streets made it special and the hospitality from Laura and her staff really made you feel welcome. To begin with I ordered a small plate of assorted meats (proscuitto and salami) but I must have pointed to a different line by accident and they brought this salad of fresh sliced mushrooms tossed in a lemon vinaigrette and topped with shaved parmesan - fabulous mistake. Such a simple dish but so good and a perfect appetizer that was light and fresh tasting but left room for the piece de resistance - Tortellini de zucca (not sure how it was phrased on the menu but it is the pumpkin filled tortellini). The pasta around the filling was perfectly cooked and clearly homemade. The pumpkin filling was creamy and sweet, then it was topped with the best bolognese ragu I have ever had. Each bite was this wonderful combination of sweet pumpkin and rich, flavorful ragu that of course I said yes to the parmesan offered to be shaved on top which added to the perfect balance of salty and sweet. My husband was also very happy with his seafood salad for a light lunch. I would definitely return to this restaurant on my next visit. Maybe I could find out how they make their ragu so good. (Laura I would really love to get the recipe)

1  Thank chezrobyn

Reviewed May 7, 2012 via mobile

I ate here two nights and loved it during a recent trip to Ferrara. The restaurant is very quiet and has some great local art on the walls. The pumpkin filled ravioli was fabulous. Do not turn down Laura's tiramisu! Thank you for great food and great conversation.

Reviewed April 16, 2012

Very nice little restaurant in the ancient jewish area. They serve traditional Cappellacci di Zucca, I loved the almond and duck breast sauce. Also fresh fish was very attractive but not tried, maybe next visit!

Reviewed March 7, 2012

The restaurant is located in the historical centre, in an old, refurbished building. We were seated in a large, cosy room on the first floor. We were four and ordered two pasta and two meat dishes. I had gnocchi with a local cheese, which were delicious. My husband had a roast with crispy vegetables, which was also delicious. Our friends took a steak and French fries and tortellini al ragu’ Everything tasted fine.

For dessert we ordered the local specialty, the “tenerina” a chocolate cake which was served with ice-cream. It was also very nice. We selected a bottle of Lambrusco, from a nice wine list.

Service was fast and efficient; everything looked clean and tasted good. Prices are very reasonable.

1  Thank Dierregi
Reviewed November 13, 2011

This restaurant, in the Jewish ghetto area, is a little gem for its quality. Here you can taste some excellent traditional recipes such as 'tortelloni di zucca' (pumpkin filled home-made pasta), or tortellini (meat filled home-made pasta), or a delicious cake made of chocolate and mashed pumpkin. The owner is a nice lady who will help you choose the best option for you. The restaurant can get quite crowded at peak hours, so make sure you come as soon as they open or book a table.