“A Roman Ranch”

Tenuta dell'Argento Resort
Ranked #4 of 10 Hotels in Civitavecchia
Reviewed June 22, 2012

Thanks to trip advisor information, we decided to spend a night at this unusual, charming hotel overlooking Civitavecchia. The owner is gracious and always nice and helpful. The rooms are rustic and comfortable, with nice bathrooms. It's a very peaceful and relaxing place, and it was fun to see the bulls and cows. The owner drove us to the center of town so we could take a walk there. This was a very pretty city until American bombs destroyed it during the second world war. They didn't have enough money to rebuild it properly after the war, but now, at least, they have a good theatre and have restored it to its former theatrical tradition.
The restaurant did not impress us, but it has a beautiful view and I had fun chatting with the waiter. The next day, the shuttle took us to the pier to our cruise ship.
It was such a good way to start our vacation, and we will definitely return to the Tenuta dell'Argento!

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank LaCostaflower
There are newer reviews for Tenuta dell'Argento Resort

Reviewed May 30, 2012

Tenuta Dell Argento is on top of a mountain that overlooks the Mediterranean. The view from this place is absolutely breath taking. You can see the cruise ships in port. It is in Civitavecchia, about 40 miles from Rome Airport. We spent the night before our cruise. I had communicated via email with Martina about transportation from the airport to Tenuta Dell Argento. She always responded “lightning fast”, and arranged for us to be picked up at Rome Airport. It was a nice scenic drive up a mountain. When we arrived at Tenuta Dell Argento we were greated by Philipe. It was morning and we were very tired after our flight from the US. Our room wasn’t ready but we didn’t have to wait long for it to be ready. While waiting in the lobby Philipe made us feel at home and brought us coffee and pastries. Our room was very nice and shiny clean. Tenuta Dell Argento is a hotel on a working ranch with cattle grazing on the mountains. They also offer horseback riding. It is very quiet place and for us it was a perfect place to unwind after our long flight. The town is too far to walk to but if you want to see the town they will take you in and pick you up. Also they will take you to and from the train station. The restaurant was great with good food and friendly service. After a good night’s sleep and a nice breakfast we said good bye to Martina and Philipe. We were taken down to the cruise port in a van that turned out to be driven by one of the owners. Everyone was very friendly and made us feel welcome. We highly recommend Tenuta Dell Argento. It is truly a “hidden gem”.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank ShoreProud
Reviewed May 24, 2012

I found this hotel on Tripadvisor and it did not dissapoint. Booking via the internet was easy. My emails were answered promptly and all of my questions were answered. I could sense that we would be taken care of by the owners of this establishment. After calling the hotel, we were picked up at the train station and taken to the hotel where we walked around the grounds and relaxed prior to dinner. The hotel is in the countryside above the coast and it provides a peaceful retreat before leaving for a Mediterranean cruise with all of the port activities. Not being a meat eater, I opted for pasta for dinner. It was delicious, as was the special appetizer the restaurant made for us. Our beds were comfortable and the shower worked well. The room was new and clean. When we were checking out, I asked if the chef would share the recipe for the pasta that I had the night before. I was told that would probably happen. I said that I would email the hotel with a request for the recipe when I got back home. I didn't need to do that. When I arrived at home, there already was an email for me from the hotel thanking me for my visit and attached to the email was the pasta recipe. How thoughtful!! Shuttle service to the port worked well. My travel partner left his passport, credit cards and money in a drawer in the hotel room. We called the hotel and these items were placed in a sealed envelope and brought over to our ship on the next shuttle. I highly recommend this hotel for a pre or post cruise stay. You won't be disappointed.

Room Tip: We had a room away from the restaurant, so it was very peaceful.
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled with friends
3  Thank travellady83
Reviewed April 30, 2012

We arrived having completed a trans-Atlantic cruise and wanted to get our land legs back. The pictures on the internet do not do this place justice. Nature can be admired in any direction. We walked the roads and the pastures.

The courtesy van picked us up at the cruise dock on time. The check-in was easy. The rooms are very clean and the beds are very good. They use a wet-vac to clean the tile floors everyday so their is no dust on your feet.

The ranch grows the delicious beef that is served in the restaurant. We enjoyed the included breakfasts. We decided to stay an extra night. I hope we get to visit here again.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank spanky50
Reviewed April 23, 2012

Stayed for one night in Oct 2011, but could have easily stayed longer. A beautiful hotel in a beautiful location.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled with friends
1  Thank DolceMinneapolis
Reviewed March 19, 2012

My wife and I enjoyed a relaxing evening at this hotel, which is actually a working ranch. Nice accommodations, a very enjoyable laid-back kind of atmosphere.

For Pro's, I would mention their nice rooms, newly constructed and with raw wood beam ceilings and nice bathroom fixtures including large bath. We got a little cold in the room, which was our only negative (other than the noisy restaurant, but that settled down around 10:30 PM).

The people who own and run this business are very kind and helpful, particularly to cruisers. This is a nice way to break the shock of going directly from the Rome Airport to the boat terminal. Instead, enjoy a nice dinner in their restaurant, eating as fresh a beefsteak as you'll find anywhere, and a cozy night's stay along with a courtesy drive to the boarding terminal the following morning. You'll be fresh and excited instead of dragged out and beat up.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled on business
3  Thank David J
Reviewed January 31, 2012

Stayed here in August 2010 before a cruise. They run a free shuttle to the boat which is handy. It is out of the town centre a bit, but the shuttle makes up for this. The staff at the hotle are very helpful (especially Flippio) & most are English speaking. The hotel is quiet & relaxing.

We went a few days before & after the cruise and really enjoyed our stay. The train to Rome takes only 40mins to an hour.

I would really recommend that anyone staying uses the restaurant in the hotel as the meat, potatoes & wine is the best you will ever have. Excellent all round stay!

Room Tip: Use the restaurant - AMAZING
  • Stayed: February 2011, traveled with family