“Great hotel!!”

Hotel San Giorgio
Ranked #1 of 10 Hotels in Civitavecchia
“Great hotel!!”
Reviewed September 3, 2013

I stayed 2 separate nights at this hotel before my cruises this past June. Both times check in was a breeze and they had my room ready. The staff is very pleasant and helpful. It's nice that they have a bus that drops you off at your ship the day you set sail & does so for a reasonable price.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
4 Thank Jon S
EleonoraPalomba, Direttore at Hotel San Giorgio, responded to this review, September 12, 2013
Dear Mr Jon S,

Thank you for staying with us before your cruise and for your review. We are really glad that you have enjoyed your stay at the Hotel San Giorgio and we would like to thank you for the nice words about our staff, we are really proud about it.
Our shuttle service from the Hotel to the Cruise terminal is highly appreciated since our bus has the authorization to arrive underneath the ship in order to board in the utmost comfort possible.
We hope to have the chance to welcome you on your future stay in Civitavecchia
Arrivederci

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (149)
  • Polish first
Burlington, Canada
Reviewed August 28, 2013

Travelled from Rome by train. This hotel was within easy walking distance with suitcases from the Civitavecchia train station. We upgraded to a balcony room, which faced the sea and the King size bed was in a loft. Very nice and turned out to be an excellent choice. Staff were friendly and helpful. Overall hotel and our room were clean. Hotel location is good as you can walk across the street and down the seafront boardwalk with many restaurants, bars and entertainment.

Room Tip: Check out is 10:00 AM. Normal cruise ship boarding time is after 1:00 PM. If you eat dinner at the h...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Getoutofsnow
Bern, Switzerland
Reviewed August 24, 2013

We left Rome and were happy to be outside the big city and to find this hotel.
But the problems started at the booking, no booking without mail and a credit card number! Ok some people have or may have bad experiences but it is not a reason to treat everybody the same. And how can I send an e-mail when I am on a tour with motorcycle? Anyway we found a solution and could live with it.
What I did not appreciate at all, is that the two rooms we booked, got charged to my credit card immediately at our arrival. I made the receptionist aware of it but she denied this fact. I had to prove it to her as I get a sms on my mobile for each transaction on my credit card and I can also check my account. So don’t lie to me and don’t treat me like a person that wants to leave the hotel without paying. Especially when I did give them my homepage, my full address, my banking details and my credit card number.
Our rooms were not cleaned properly and they need a lift up as they are really run down. The shower did not close properly so the water was all over the bathroom. The air-conditioner was noisy and water was dripping on the carpet, it looks that maintenance is not done.
In the other room it was worth, the water from the shower flooded the complete bathroom. When maintenance came to check they told us that this was normal and we could see that the carpet was getting mouldy and grey from the water.
With a room price of over 200 USD, Wi-Fi is not included and don’t look for glasses in the mini bar they are only plastic ones, and that calls himself a 4 star hotel?
In the restaurant the lady in charge works her butt off while the others waiters stand around, we did not find this fair. Her service was top and the food was fine.
The hotel building is worth a stop and the location only a few metres away from the sea is superb. To Rome it is only one hour drive and the airports and the harbour are very close. In brief it has it all the potential to be much better with a good and efficient Manager with a name.
It seems that the manager or managers are hiding because we were not able to find out who is the responsible person with a name to talk to and the homepage also does not specify any names.
Management also does not seem to care as they did not take my points while we stayed at the hotel and they did not even bother to answer my two mails dated June 30 and July 17 2013 although I received an e-mail receipt from Eleonora Palomba and Andrea Nardi.
With the number of cruises stopping at this hotel they must most probably be very happy, I can definitely not recommend this hotel at this stage and it is a pity for some staff that give their best.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
5 Thank WatchFox
South Cave, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 23, 2013

Excellent and very friendly service from all staff, rooms very spacious and clean although not my preferred decor and furnishings as I am fussy and like to have white bedding only. Breakfast was excellent with lots of variety and excellent coffee. We had a 3 course meal in the restaurant and it was excellent quality food, brilliant service and a nice setting. Location excellent and very close to the train station for visits to Rome.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank rachel o
Reston, Virginia
Reviewed August 21, 2013

Very charming hotel that was convenient to the port for those taking a cruise. They had a shuttle that could take you from the airport to the hotel and then to the port. Had a nice dinner outside with entertainment. The best pasta and pistachio ice cream I have ever had. They also had a nice breakfast buffet in the morning and allowed for late check outs for those taking cruises .I will go back again when I visit Rome.

Room Tip: I stayed in the sea view room. (204) Great view and good sized bathroom.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Sandy0523
Abbotsford, Canada
Reviewed August 18, 2013

If you have "done" Rome then consider a few days in Civi. There are many activities and sights to keep you busy for several days. Renting a car at the airport gives you the most flexibility, but the train also stops in downtown Civi. With a car you can visit several ruins in the area (tours can also be arranged in Civi). Having stayed at the Tenuta dell'Argento in the hills above Civi the week prior and fully enjoyed ourselves, we decided to try the oceanfront San Giorgio for one night between cruises. The San is a full service hotel with excellent staff and a superior restaurant. Arriving around 9AM understandably our room was not ready. With our bags stored at the hotel we easily walked around Civi, including the excellent museum on the main avenue before enjoying lunch on the seafront. The next day being Sunday many shops were closed so we could wander through the old town without crowds; the ancient churches and old fort are not to be missed. Our air conditioned and well appointed room faced the sea and was very quiet. The hotel's restaurant is rated one of Civi's best and our meal was certainly delightful especially the opportunity to taste different wines with each course (included). In the bar later we were offered Limóncello and rum-soaked pastries. Next morning the hotel offered a shuttle directly to the ship at noon for a small fee per person; other shuttles drop passengers at the entrance to the port where you stick handle your luggage on/off a bus. All in all an excellent experience!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Tess S
Reviewed August 15, 2013

Hi!

I know I am so slow and I seem do everything backwards and all mixed up- but here is a review of when we were in Italy.

So we drove along the coast, which I recommend if you rent a car. We stopped in a great town RIGHT on the Mediterranean Sea. We had some lunch in the plaza and walked around. We decided to stay for the night.

We stayed at the Hotel San Giorgio, and let me tell you it was wonderful. The room was spacious and very clean. We asked for a deal at the desk and the guy was very nice and friendly and I guess he wanted to fill the room so he gave us a great deal for the night. Be nice and they will be nice to you too!

But really every one there is very nice. Ok, so the review- the room was all decked out of course. Ask for a room on at least the second floor and of course as always ask for a corner room.

The lobby was grand and full of marble and had a very elegant bar and dining area. It did have a fully functioning elevator so that was nice. But the elevators there are small so don't get all claustrophobic on me! Just relax because if you get a room on at least the 2nd floor the views will calm any nerves you had up a 30 second ride in an elevator, trust me.

The room we were in was decorated in creams, buttery yellows, navy blues and light blues. It was very clean and there was a mini bar, a tv, which we never turned on, some light snacks. I think the TV was also somehow a computer with wifi- but don't quote me on that.

The bed was comfortable and the linens pretty high quality. The restroom was HUGE. I mean it was half the size of the room! It was all decked out in some very expensive creamy colored stone. It had heated towel racks, shower, huge mirror, toilet and bidet. Don't be afraid of the bidet Americans! Just google how to use one first. It's going to be ok!

The town it self has a HUSTLE BUSTLE style! Very fun and has a great night life thing going on, and if you like to shop this place is for you. The food is great everywhere of course and there are a lot of cafe's and good places to get wine. Wine is everywhere so drink it! The population seems very hip and cool- shopping and bargaining. It was certainly a fun atmosphere.

When you wake up you should first thing open up the windows and look outside at the amazing view. It is really worth it. Next time we go to Italy I think I just want to stay here and drive other places. Oh and the weather is so nice during Christmas you can just open the windows all night if you feel like it.

There is a free breakfast in the morning. It is in a nicely set up dining room and they serve pastries, juice, yougart, cereals, eggs, some prosciutto, breads, jams and jellies galore. There's a coffee and espresso machine and you can have some hot tea too. The room is nice and has a good view, but i think it gets just a little warm because of all the windows. Hardly something to complain about- just a note.

I like all the details when I read reviews so I give them too! And it doesn't hurt to be a little funny =o) Aside from that. My husband and I loved this Hotel and the town it was in. It was nice to get out of Rome for a bit and see the Sea. I would recommend this to anyone!!

Happy Travels.