“Before/after cruise”
Review of Hotel San Giorgio

Hotel San Giorgio
Ranked #1 of 10 Hotels in Civitavecchia
Reviewed November 5, 2012

If you are departing or arriving in Civitavecchia on a cruise, this is the place to stay. Great reception staff, large towels, and unbelievable views - the sunsets are spectacular. The hotel offers a pick-up or drop-off at the Rome airport.

Room Tip: Room 219, on the corner, has a great view of the water.
1  Thank 791,989

Reviewed November 4, 2012

Hotel San Giorgio at Civitavecchia is a place I love going back to. In 2013, it will be my third trip to stay there. My first stay was in 2008 before a cruise of the Eastern Med. This year, I stayed again for an overnight before a cruise on the Western Med. I will be back there again next April before a cruise of the Adriatic and Italy. The hotel is beautiful and clean, the staff always cordial and helpful. The included breakfast has great coffee and a nice assortments of meats and cheeses. They provide a service to take you to the cruise pier for I believe $10 euros. The location is central, right in front of the beach and the rooms are very nice. I like the restaurants nearby.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank Magica D
Reviewed October 28, 2012

I have stayed twice at the Hotel San Giorgio and look forward to staying there again before my next cruise. Civitavecchia is a lovely, port town with a promenade in front of the beach and wonderful homes scattered throughout the downtown area. Hotel San Giorgio is located right in the center of the beach area near two good Italian restaurants and the service cannot be beat. I always feel like I am going home when I arrive. I have stayed there always before my cruise.

Room Tip: The rooms for a single person are small but nice and quaint. The bathroom is large and very function...
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank InC0zumel
Reviewed October 27, 2012

We stayed here the day before we embarked on our Med cruise and were very pleased overall. The service was very good, the room was fine and had a good variety of channels on the TV. In fact I could get the baseball playoffs so that was pretty nice.

We had a fine meal in the hotel restaurant which included a great risotto and osso buco and the cost was moderate.

The next day the shuttle from them was late so they provided free drinks and snacks while we waited. It was only 30 mins. late so this was a very nice gesture.

Overall we were very pleased and would stay here again in a heartbeat.

1  Thank Jacketwatch
Reviewed October 22, 2012

We stopped at this hotel for a day whilst waiting for a ship
Didn't expect too much
BUT
This hotel was delightful with good food
Good service and attitude
Right on the sea front
The rooms were classy and large and comfortable
So if you're catching a ship,, don't hesitate to stop here
We did a deal including lunch and dinner , unfortunately it was the same set menu admittedly with choices
the food was good and a few glasses of wine were nicely included on both dinner and lunch
I would stay here again , not sure what rate would be in high season though
They were willing to do a deal when I was there in oct

Room Tip: Not sure rally , just be in Che and ask
1  Thank john a
Reviewed October 13, 2012

My fiancee and me stayed at Hotel San Giorgio prior to our 12 night cruise with Royal Caribbean. Since we was going on a cruise, we wanted to start our vacation with a hotel experience that was relaxing and comfortable. By booking the pre-cruise platinium package, we was sure that Hotel San Giorgio could fulfill exactly that - relaxing and comfortable. The platinium package included a junior suite, pick up at the airport with a Mercedes sedan, a bottle of sparkling wine, dinner for two at their restaurant (the Piccadilly), breakfast and transfer to the cruise ship. A total price of the package was 484 EUR (630 $). For me this seemed to be a good deal..

Let me start with the good things with Hotel San Giorgio: The service, location and transfer to the cruise ship. From check-in to check-out the service level was exellent. The receptionist that met us by check-in spoke good english, was friendly and helpful. Later during our stay, we also discovered that he actually was listening when we had a complain regarding the dinner. More on that later. The rest of the staff was smiling, helpful and friendly. Just after we entered our junior suite, a bottle of sparkling wine was delivered to us together with some delicious strawberries. This we enjoyed at the terrace outside our room.
The location for this hotel is great for those that are going on a cruise from Civitavecchia, with a short walk down to the cruise harbour. The hotel is also providing a great transfer to your cruise ship, so you dont need to worry about how to get there with your luggage. These three points is the reason why I left Hotel San Giorgio with a more positive than negative impression.

And now the not so great points. First the transfer. The transfer was late. Actually I had to call the hotel since our transfer was not waiting for us at the airport. 10-15 minutes later we found our driver, and had a good drive to Civitavecchia. Our driver was friendly, and chatty. It is not a big deal that the transfer was late, but my impression would be even better if the driver was waiting for us and not the other way around.
The room was another negative experience. It was dark, and quite worn. The room was also in two levels, where the bed and TV was on the second level. The stair between first and second floor was very steep, and I would not recommend any with hip, back or leg issues to use this. If you got small children, make sure you got one level room! I can just imagine what could happend...
The bathroom was good and very clean.
The last negative issue I had with Hotel San Giorgio was the breakfast. So little choice, and so dry pastries! On the positive side, the juice was delicious..

My main negative issue I had with the hotel, was the included dinner. This I will comment as a separate review.

All in all an fair experience. Thanks to the receptionist for listening and understanding.

Room Tip: Do not book a junior suite (2 levels) if you got any issue with walking in stairs..
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Bertago
Reviewed October 12, 2012

We stayed in this hotel for 1 night pre cruise ,it was basic ,clean & comfortable ,& in walking distance to cruise port, however not really 4star standard., and last check out was at 10am !!!! .As we also required a room for 1night at the end of our cruise ,we reserved and pre paid when we were checking out & requested early check in when we returned . .After a super cruise we arrved back at 9.00 am,(knowing we were very early ) and were advised our room will not be ready untill 2pm & had to be vacated by 10am next day .So,I asked could they get housekeeping to do our room first as we had already arrived , we sat in lobby for 2 hr ,and noticed other guests arriving ,and taken to room immediately,we mentioned this to the staff member on desk to be told once again 2pm ,they put our lugage in storage and we left and had lunch in a nearby restaurant , checking every hr to see if room was ready ,to be informed rather rudley not till 2pm .went back at 2pm & finaly got the room .....after a wait of 5hrs .!!!!!!.The porter & waiting staff very pleasant ,also the gentleman that checked us in on our 1st day of our arrival ,before the cruise .
At breakfast next morning we met a couple who had been on same cruise as us ,we metioned the wait time for our room the day before they said they arrived at 9.30 & got their room staight away ........
Being in the hotel industry ourself ,& often guests arriving early ,we do our very best to give them early check in .
We definately will not return to this hotel .

2  Thank lucillehunt
EleonoraPalomba, Direttore at Hotel San Giorgio, responded to this reviewResponded October 23, 2012

Dear lucillehunt,

thank you for your review and for your stay. We are sorry for the fact that you have to wait in order to have the room ready, but you had requested the same room of your last stay at the Hotel (with sea view free of charge both times…) and in order to satisfy your request we had to wait that the room was ready. We would like to remind to all the guest that check in is after 2 pm and that in case we have rooms available we would be glad to let the guest check in earlier. Related to the fact that other guest checked in straight to their arrival, this can depend from the fact that they have booked different room categories (junior suite, deluxe room, triple or quadruple). Also for these reasons, we had in hotel many guests that was arrived from the other part of the world and they made a trip, probably, of 12 hours or more and they requested an early check in respected to the guest that went out from the ship the same day. As always, we do the best to satisfy every request from the guest, like your first stay in our Hotel without problems.

Arrivederci