“Perfect Hotel while waiting for our cruise”
Review of Hotel San Giorgio

Hotel San Giorgio
Ranked #1 of 10 Hotels in Civitavecchia
Reviewed June 27, 2011

We stayed at this hotel the night prior to boarding our cruise and could not be more pleased with the hotel, the restaurant and the fantastic service.
We arrived at the Rome airport from Brussels, Belgium and I had made arrangements with the hotel to have us picked up at the airport. We were met just outside of the luggage area by our driver who assisted us with our baggage to the Hotel Van. We were driven directly to the hotel and as we checked in our luggage was moved up to our room. We were in a room with what I would call a loft bedroom above a living room and both of us found the room to be quite comfortable. The A/C was a little noisy but the bed was so comfortable and slept so well be did not notice anything. Overall I would rate the room just what we paid for with a little more comfort than expected.
We had dinner in the hotel which was a true surprise. The meal, wine and service were excellent and it alone would bring me back to the hotel.
The hotel arranged for our transfer to the ship in the morning and this service was also performed without any problems.
This hotel is set up to handle the cruise ship passengers needing to spend a night prior to or after the cruise and they do an excellent job.

1  Thank fishpicturesbybob
MAXPIER, Revenue & Internet Manager at Hotel San Giorgio, responded to this reviewResponded June 29, 2011

Dear FishPiscture,

G R A Z I E.

We are very pleased you have enjoyied you stay with us, and that you have been impressed by our services. It's always a pleasure to read reviews like yours.
We have taken note of the the A/C and we will check the machine.
The Piccadilly Restaurant is comfirms its self as one of the best in town, for food quality and service.
We thank you again and we hope to welcome you back on your next stay in Civitavecchia.

Reviewed June 24, 2011

We stayed her one night post cruise. To their benefit their staff were very friendly and helpful and the accommodations would be acceptable BUT upon our stay in June their is a very loud carnival like attraction across the street broadcasting blaring music throughout the night. When your room faces the front ocean side it is a huge problem. Upon asking about it they said it started recently and apparently is a summer issue and continues to midnight and "perhaps only" up until 3:00 a.m. We has an early morning flight the next day so it was a real problem. I am single mom and was traveling with my teenage son and we could not sleep with this noise issue so upon arriving back in the lobby for a second time in my pajamas I asked if there was another room in the back. They kept wanting to put us in a room with a single bed which is not acceptable given the situation. Then I asked for earplugs and they only had one pair. It would seem if they were aware of this they would be better prepared to either inform guests or have at least more earplugs. Earplugs aren't an item a typical traveler would expect to need. It was torture. What was supposed to be a restful night was anything but, we left tired and disappointed.

The other issue was with their "spa" service. Again to their credit they were very helpful and responsive when I wanted to book a pedicure and made sure to get an appointment for me. However after the fact I wish they hadn't. It was the worst pedicure I have ever had. Now granted, things in the United States might be different but I have to mention my experience. First, the technician spoke no English, or very little. That wasn't a major issue as we were able to work around it with my limited Italian, eventually. My major issue is sterilization, there was none. When I was placed in a room their was a towel with a file and buffer that visibly had remnants of other peoples dry skin and nail dust all over them. I should have left but thought maybe they are running behind and they would be replaced. No. She comes in and pours water and a dirty looking plastic tray, places my feet in. Then she took out the metal tools out of a well used little bag that also were not sterilized and proceeded to work while I cringed at the thought. I wanted to leave but there was no way to explain to her why. In the US all tools are sterilized in bags and new files and buffers are used for each client. Maybe not so in Europe, or maybe it's just here. Anyway, she tries to tell me and takes about 5 minutes for her to say that she does not have time to do a French pedicure like I have. Great. So she hands me a limited number of colors and I try to ask if she has something other than the clear she presented me with. Finally shows back up with a pink color and I say fine because I just need to be done. She does one base coat one color coat. That's it. Any pedicure has a base coat, 2 color coat, and a top coat to finish. Not here. Nothing put between the toes to keep the wet nail from smudging, no fan or anything to dry them. It was a mess. I gave here 40 Euro and left quickly not waiting for change, I was very upset. A waist of a lot of money and my time. Lesson learned.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank B95127

Dear B95127,
thank you for your stay at the San Giorgio and for the compliments to our staff.
about the nightlife, we would like to remember tha we are now in summer time and especially on saturday night it can happen that across the street there are a lot of persons enjoying walking and appreciate the good summer breeze in front of the mediterranean sea.

Regarding the request to change the rooms, as you have told it was night, and the Hotel was almost fully booked, the receptionist did his best, but we did not have other rooms available with the caratteristics you ment, the only solutions we had at that time was the one we offered to you.
On the earplugs matter, is true, we were unprepared as there was never happened before, even because the windows are double glazed and soundproofed.

The Beauty Center is no part of the Hotel San Giorgio, but of course we work with them, and your experience has left us very disappointed and shocked.
We would like to apologize for them, even if they are external partners.
Anyhow this matter has been brought to the attention of the Hotel owner in order to prevent our guest to have experience of this kind.
Believe us we are really upset.

We hope to welcome you on your next cruise, and this time we will offer you a real Beauty treatment!!!
Arrivederci.

Reviewed June 13, 2011

My husband was brought to this hotel when I was taken from the ship to the hospital at the end of our cruise. I joined him for 2 nights after being discharged. The hotel is located on the shore, a short walk to the cruise port and train station. The room was small, but clean and comfortable with a large modern bathroom and a view of the water. The breakfast buffet was very good and well stocked. We did not eat dinner there. The best part of the hotel was the staff. Everyone was very helpful to my husband while I was in the hospital and welcomed me like family when I was finally discharged. They provided transportation for him back and forth to see me. Since we didn't know how long we needed to stay, they were very accommodating and allowed us to stay in the same room for all 6 nights. This would be a very pleasant place for a beach vacation, or for a pre or post-cruise overnight.

1  Thank Arlene G
MAXPIER, Revenue & Distribution on line Marketing at Hotel San Giorgio, responded to this reviewResponded June 20, 2011

Dear Mrs Azrespecht,
thank you for your wonderful reviews concerning our hotel and especially our staff.
We are very happy to see that you and your husband have enjoyed our hospitality and that you are now feeling good.
We hope to see you again as guests for your next cruise leaving from Civitavecchia, but this time by your choice.
Thanks and Arrivederci

Reviewed June 12, 2011

Hotel in good location, convenient for train station and cruise port. Staff welcoming, informative and friendly. Rooms basic 3 star but clean and functional. Breakfast was poor. Insuffient seating and food not being replenished.
Civitavecchia could do with a chain hotel like NH / Marriott Coutyard / Novotel etc so to give the local hoteliers some competition as room prices are excessive for quality of product offered.

1  Thank henryhoundchichester
MAXPIER, Revenue & Distribution on line Manager at Hotel San Giorgio, responded to this reviewResponded June 20, 2011

Dear Henry,
thanks for having shared your experience at the 'Hotel San Giorgio and for appreciating our staff and our location. Unfortunately, we find that the breakfast was below your expectations, we respect your point of view, however, we wanted to apologize for this.
Probably it was a set of contingent factors such a sudden arrival of people at once in the breakfast room that has probably caused this trouble.
Regarding the room prices, we are looking to give our guests a quality and customized service as much as possible and we regret that in your case were not able to do it all.
We are sure your comments will help us to improve
Thanks and Arrivederci

Reviewed June 7, 2011

We chose this hotel for a pre-cruise and post cruise stay based upon the glowing recommendations of others. I was originally enthralled like many others with this hotel but I suspect this was due in part to the excitement of joining a fantastic cruise. However, if you want anything other than an average room and basic breakfast, then you could be disappointed. But for those who just want a clean room in a great location without any extras, then the hotel is great for that.

The hotel is in a great location for pre-cruise, to be sure. It' opposite the sea, close to restaurants , the Port and railway station.

However, I was also relying on their promise of WiFi throughout the hotel to communicate with my children and other folks back home, and to tend to further travel arrangements while travelling. This advertised feature is misleading. Well, The Hotel has a crazy system of having a different WIFI network for each floor of the hotel. After paying a whopping $35 to use the internet for one day, I logged in the lobby but the the internet would not work in my room or any other floor. I was then given access details for the network on my floor ( which would not work anywhere else in the hotel) but after logging in on my Ipad, no internet connection could be made. A trip down to the front desk revealed that many people have this problem ( which is due to their dysfunctional network) and they offered me an ethernet cable. The trouble is Ipads and smart phones don't have ethernet connections so I asked for and received a refund. I then went to the local Subway restaurant and enjoyed high speed and Free WIFI.

Room Tip: Ask for a room overlooking the sea
1  Thank wyldone
MAXPIER, Revenue & Distribution on line Manager at Hotel San Giorgio, responded to this reviewResponded June 9, 2011

Dear Wyldone thanks for the review.
We regret to note that your opinion is not completely satisfactory but off course we respect your opinion and take it as an incentive to implement the quality of our services.
We twould like to answer to your review to explain how our wireless internet works.
The Hotel San Giorgio is spread over three floors, each of which is equipped with wireless connection channel that has a name (Fist Floor, Second Floor, Hall).
Anyway even with a different name, the username and password issued at the reception can be used anywhere in the 'Hotel.

As for the connections for Apple desktop and iPad, it is true that in the past we had problems, (after receiving these reports we have addressed the problem to our engineer and we can now say that the connections are working properly now.

We would like to apologize for the inconvenience that you had communicating with your son and we hope that if you will return to Civitavecchia you will choose the San Giorgio.

Reviewed June 6, 2011

We stayed here one night prior to our cruise and one night after the ship came back to port. We had reserved their car service to pick us up at noon at Rome's Fumicino airport on our arrival in Italy. After many flight delays and problems on the way, we did not arrive until 6 pm. I had called the hotel each time we thought we were on our way and they were so very patient about it all. The driver was there waiting for us and zipped us up to the hotel. It was worth every cent of the 150 euro as by then we'd been up 36 hours and were too tired to have to bother with trains and hauling our luggage around. Our first night there I paid for one hour of internet use but it would not connect. When we returned after the cruise I asked if the internet was working now and explained that I never got it to work the first time. The clerk handed me a receipt for 24 hours of free use! I certainly wasn't asking for that! The staff speaks excellent English. They are very efficient with their shuttles to the cruise ships and take care of the luggage. The rooms had gorgeous sea views, were clean, and large. Bathrooms are huge by European standards.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank athiker07

Dear Athiker,
Your satisfaction is our goal and we are particularly happy that you enjoyed the 'Hotel, the attitude and professionalism of our staff and also our extraservices.
As already explained in other reviews, we had problems with the wireless system, but we have implement in these days the service with the installation of other internet repeaters that allow us now to have full and good quality coverage of the 'Hotel.
This is not an excuse, however, and please accept our apologies.
Thank you for being our guest and for taking the time to tell your experience.
Arrivederci a Civitavecchia

Reviewed June 4, 2011

The Hotel San Giorgio was perfect for recovering from the flight from the US and relaxing before catching our cruise ship. The rooms, lobby, bar and breakfast room were four star. The location is convenient for restaurants and a stroll along the beach. The staff were friendly and professional. The breakfast was excellent and made better with the ocean view. A great view from the top floor terrace.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled with family

Hello Andy,
everything you said si great for us!!!
we appreciate you have been well impressed from our Hotel and from our staff.
so we will wait for you on your next cruise from Civitavecchia !!
Grazie!!!!!!!