All reviewsfree shuttlepre cruisecruise shipsister hotelwashing machineone nighttrain stationpizzafamily suiteexcellent englishwrap around balconygrocery storeliving roomstay there againairport transferminute walkpastries
Reviewed August 12, 2015

I hate it when there are many things that I actually love about a hotel but there are several things that would keep me from coming back (maybe). So is the tale of Hotel Traiano.

Let me dwell on the positives to start. The reception was warm and welcoming. The staff were wonderful and when need be, very informative. Suggestions on where to go for food, exercise (passeggiare) and whatever we needed, were spot on.

The breakfast looked like an upscale Residence Inn but when you dug in, it was quite good. A very nice selection of foods. The fresh cappuccino was to die for. Full marks here.

Let’s take the elevator up to our room. This is a good idea as it worked well (most of the time).

When we opened the door into our room (camera 208), we were absolutely blown away by the size. It was huge. At first glance, the living room had a bright balcony, nice size TV (with plenty of English news channels), nice sofa, table and chairs. Finally, a computer/reading desk. Here I should mention that the WiFi was really good.

Upon further viewing, the wall unit opened to reveal a 2 hob burner, sink (with wobbly faucet), washer, small fridge and plenty of utensils. This was looking very good. The view from the veranda was nice and very Italian, small town.

The bedroom had a king sized bed (2 small ones put together) as well as 2 singles. It also had plenty of drawers, small TV, and bed side lights (only 1 worked – mentioned to but not replaced by staff). It also has a nice sized safe.

The bathroom was nice. The shower had a great deal of water pressure. If you have read some of my other reports, you will know showerhead height is important. This one had it in spades.

Okay, this was not a four star establishment. But why not? With the above comments, it sure sounds like it.

What would keep me from coming back (maybe)?

Well, let’s start at the top (our room). The main reason for staying was sleeping (well, for us). The bed was very hard and the pillows very thin. I have read that this was typical of Italian accommodations. I am not Rick Steves but I have stayed in many lodgings from Amalfi to Tignale. In my humble opinion, it is as I have stated. We also found a dead bug in the bed (THIS WAS NOT- REPEAT NOT A BDBG). I will state this again (copy, paste) (THIS WAS NOT- REPEAT NOT A BDBG). I could repeat it again but that is just too easy (copy, paste, control Z). There were also a few bugs (not many at all) that I disposed of in other rooms.

Also, the shower that was wonderful had a mind of its own as to where the water wanted to go (every direction but still powerfully). There was little, wee, tiny, miniature bars of soap. When the sinks water faucet was turned on, it shot water out of the sink directly towards the user’s groin. Hmm, incontinence (see my reports on Prostate Cancer survivors)?

The towels were thin but usable. The toilet paper roll kept flying off the holder.

The air conditioning didn’t work very well. I am not an A-C technician so I will not speculate why.

Leaving the room and avoiding the elevator, we often descended down the carpeted stairs. This red carpet was extremely loose on many levels. If care wasn’t taken, your life could be. A fall could not be prevented by using the rail because there wasn’t one. So being cautious going up or down is my very wise advice.

So, just to let you know that I might be back (maybe) because we really did like this hotel. If they fixed their problems, I would give them 8 out of 10 (I guess that’s TripAdvisor 4 of 5) but until then, I wish them all the best.

Ciao, ciao from Civitavecchia!

• Stayed: May 2015, traveled as a couple
2  Thank RadTel
Reviewed July 24, 2015

We stays just one night before embarking on our cruise.
Clean hotel, big room and a safe place to park our car for the whole week during our week cruise.
Grazie Gianni !
We will surely be back when we take our next cruise !

• Stayed: July 2015, traveled with family
1  Thank fab07072007
Reviewed July 18, 2015 via mobile

This hotel suited our family very nicely. The staff was very friendly and helpful and the services offered were exactly what we needed for a stay in Civitavecchia the day before our cruise departed.

We missed out on the shuttle from the airport, but the train ride was relaxing. The hotel offers shuttles to the port, so that saved us finding a taxi to the port.

The morning buffet offered enough variety to please all of the family members.

It was a little run-down and the beds were a little too rigid for our comfort, but our overall experience here was enjoyable. I would recommend this hotel to friends traveling through the area.

Stayed: July 2015, traveled with family
3  Thank Jeremy G
Reviewed July 11, 2015 via mobile

Finding this family owned, local hotel was a very pleasant, positive surprise. It has a quaint but modern layout. The staff is friendly and helpful. The free wifi, breakfast and shuttle service is a nice convenience. And, it's a good value, especially compared to the hotels closer to the water and cruise ship terminals. All in all a very good find.

Stayed: July 2015, traveled with family
Reviewed June 30, 2015

We stayed at this hotel 1 night before a Med Cruise. Well run very helpful front desk they offered a free shuttle to the port for 8 of us. We emailed back and forth w/the Owner/Manager before the Trip because of the large group he was very helpful

Stayed: July 2014