“Great food, great atmosphere, great staff!”

Ristorante Pizzeria da Baffone
Ranked #44 of 240 Restaurants in Civitavecchia
Good for: Scenic view
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: The restaurant"da Baffone" is a historic place. It was born in 1977, the local is frequented by regular customers who become enthusiastic supporters but also by Vip characters who amplify their fame. Over the years it has remained unchanged: the staff, the succulent dishes, and above all the confidential and welcoming atmosphere. This is definitely the winning formula that lasts for over 40 years! We are in front of the beach of the marina, 100 meters from the train station and the port of Civitavecchia.
Stuttgart, Germany
“Great food, great atmosphere, great staff!”
Reviewed June 27, 2012

My husband and I found this restaurant by accident, while hanging out in the town just before going on our cruise on 16 Jun 2012. The location is fantastic, right on the main street and across the street from the beach. It was a hot, sweltering day but sitting at one of the tables on the front patio, we completely forgot about the heat.
The staff was really great! The owner (I think he was the owner, there were pictures all over the restaurant of him with "famous" people) even came out to check on us to make sure everything was good. Everything was! The food was excellent! My husband had the salmon raviolli and I had spaghetti carbonara.
We had such a wonderful time, we came back for lunch on the day after our cruise returned. The staff were just as great and they even remembered us (at least they said they did). Again, it was a totally wonderful experience. This time I had the pizza, which is totally different than American pizza because the dough is very thin, even still it was delicious!
The only bad thing I can say about this restaurant is the large group of Americans (My husband and I are both American, as well) who let their young children run screaming all over the front of the restaurant, even after the youngest one (who looked to be about 2) fell and hurt herself.
We stayed in Civitavecchia a few days and ate at other places, but in our opinion, this was the best restaurant the town has to offer! I would definitely recommend this restaurant to everyone and I hope to be able to eat there again some day.

• Visited June 2012
42 Thank mariamsm25

• Polish first
Scotland
“Awful - Tourist Trap”
Reviewed June 18, 2012

We went here on the strength of the reviews here on TA. It was awful from start to finish.

The only attention we got was when we arrived but as soon as we were seated that was it! The service was non existent.

My husband had pizza & admittedly it was nice but my lasagne was awful & only luke warm.

The table of 4 beside us remarked about the bad service & said they had been at this place a few years ago when it was excellent. It certainly isn't anymore - its a tourist trap where they don't care as there's plenty more where we came from!

We found a much nicer place for a glass of wine in a little square in the town - pity we wasted a holiday lunch in this place!

• Visited June 2012
2 Thank SL840Ta
Atlanta, Georgia
“great view, good food, no service, no friendliness”
Reviewed June 11, 2012

Could be a good restaurant if the staff cared about your experience. They absolutely are too busy and disorganized to care about their customers

• Visited May 2012
1 Thank RexallWillie
London, United Kingdom
“Fantastic food, fantastic people.”
Reviewed November 15, 2011

Working on the cruise I know the food business like a back of my hand. Civitaveccia was our home port , and needless to say very quickly we became friends with Pappa the owner of Il Boffone, and addicted to his cooking!

• Visited April 2011
80 Thank AnnaCampos
Trinidad
“This is "My Italy"”
Reviewed November 14, 2011

My search for an Italian restaurant began in Venice, I have just landed to work on my cruise ship February 2007 and after hearing of the legendary Italian hospitality from one of my favorite authors "Leo Buscaglia" I went out in search of "My Italy." Sad to say my first three dining experiences though good, was a little disappointing as I had my first meal - Pizza in Venice, cooked by Asians, Penne Bolognaise, cooked by East Indians (I could get that on my ship), and the restaurant just down the street from Da Baffone, was too much of a tourist trap with a rather cold staff.

On my next visit to Civitavecchia, I entered this little establishment, I was fascinated by the photos on the walls depicting an effervescent looking chef posed with various important looking clients... I was escorted to my table and was efficiently served by a rather jovial waiter, it was during my meal, I noticed the very same chef depicted in the photos come out to stand at the top of the stairs, hands on his hips as he surveyed the crowd. He was checking to ensure that his customers was enjoying themselves, I was even happier when, as he looked over at me I nodded at him, he returned the nod, smiled and briskly returned to his kitchen.

I shared this little encounter with my friends who worked in the F&B department on board, needless to say, we made an outing of it the very next day. Due to a mix up in my order I found myself eating Fettuccine with Cream and Mushrooms... now I was not a pasta person, before this, but I was blown away by the simplicity of the dish and it's utter tastiness, in fact we were all sampling each others' meals when the chef came out. papa as we all affectionately called him in the ensuing months, came over to hug and kiss us, when he saw how much we were enjoying his creations. This began an experience that has remained embedded as one of the best experiences of my eight months in Italy. As our friendship grew, I would be escorted into the kitchen to hug and kiss Papa before he cooked for me, many of my friends and guests returned with stories of their wonderful experiences at the tables of Da Baffone.

From his son's pizzas to papa's creations you will find something to please you. The warm and friendly wait staff are a pleasure and I am sure that anyone entering this establishment with be blown away by the hospitality of everyone.

• Visited December 2010