“Good hotel” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #2 of 8 Hotels in Chiavari
Cardiff, United Kingdom
“Good hotel”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 3, 2011

Arrived at the Santa Maria HOTEL after taking a taxi from Chiavari station ( 8 euros). First impressions were very good. Check in very easy. Booked a double room for single occupancy with a seaview and inclusive breakfast. Room number 308 is a very small double and certainly not big enough as a twin. There was a nice balcony overlooking the beach and sea. The room was clean although the bed was very low and firm. A ceiling fan helped to keep the room cool along with shutters and air conditioning.
I did not eat at the restaurant in the evenings but took breakfast each day. A good selection of cereals, yogurt, ham and cheese, bread rolls and focaccia along with various croisaants and cakes. Ample tea and coffee served by very obliging staff.
The location is good especially for young families wanting to spend time on the beach and swim in the sea. Outside the hotel is the lido and various private beaches which you must pay for - extremely clean and well maintained . Otherwise it is a 10 - 15 minute walk to the station. Train travel is very easy and extremely reliable - a return fare to Rapallo is just 3.6 eouros and takes 15 minutes. Otherwise you need a car to get around. Incidentally there is a Europcar office on the seafront just a short walk from the hotel.
Chiavari is a good base and i would certainly recommend the Santa Maria.

Room Tip: Shop around
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled solo
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank jagmansilver

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Stuttgart, Germany
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 30, 2011

very lovely hotel & especially very lovely stuff, who work there. Internet in the lobby area is for free. You can leave your car directly in front of the hotel. The hotel is very central, the sea-view out of the balconys is nice. THe piazza, which is close to the hotel, is a MUST. Chiavari is beautiful. I didn't want to leave ;)) We felt absolutely comfortable & would recommand it always! :) I'm sure, this was not our last trip to Chiavari & to Santa Maria :)

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
DeWitt, Michigan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 26, 2011

Our son took a job in the neighboring city, Lavagna, and his company put him up in Hotel Santa Maria for three weeks while he moved and found housing. His experience was so excellent that when it came time for us to visit, there was no question where we would stay.

The entire hotel has a bright, sunny atmosphere. Our room had a large balcony looking out on the Ligurean Sea. The beds were comfortable. There was a lot of room to put our things in our room. We had a large, very clean bathroom. We ate several meals in the hotel restaurant and found them very enjoyable.

The entire staff was extremely kind. I don't speak Italian, so I appreciated that the staff could speak English well. The manager of the hotel, Giorgio, helped us in many ways and seemed to anticipate what we needed often before we even asked. The maids actually wrote us a thank you note when we left a tip.

The hotel common areas were welcoming. Wi-Fi is available in these areas, so we would relax with a drink or a coffee and check our email there.

There is secure parking right at the hotel, so handling our rental car was easy.

The hotel in on the water. Since Chiavari has a long, pleasant boardwalk, we were out often just walking and enjoying the sea. The hotel is only a short walk from lots of good restaurants, the train station, shops, and the sights around town.

Chiavari is a great central location for a vacation, as it is easy to go by train all up and down the coast. Portofino and Genoa are in one direction Cinque Terre in the other. There are lovely seaside towns all the way along the way. It is surprising to me that this area has not gotten the US tourist attention the the Cinque Terre area has. This area has one spectacular view after another.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank TrudyChiaravalli
Michigan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 17, 2010

I don't know where to begin. For starters, the hotel director, Giorgio, really knows how to treat his guests. And I stayed there for a significant period of time, from Dec. 1 to Dec. 18, so I think I really had a chance to see the hotel for what it is. All guests were treated equally, incredibly well. I can't say enough positive things about this hotel. I strongly recommend it to anyone.

I stayed there because my company paid for me to stay there. They chose the hotel, but I'm so very glad that they chose this one because I couldn't have imagined a more positive experience. When my family comes to visit me (now that I have my own small apartment in Chiavari), I intend to have them stay at Hotel Santa Maria. If you do stay here, make sure to ask for a room with a "vista mare". The hotel is right on the sea, and it's worth paying a little extra money for the incredible view!

• Stayed December 2010, traveled on business
2 Thank dchiarav
NYC
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 1, 2008

We stayed at the hotel on our honeymoon and it was a wonderful choice. The staff is pleasant and helpful, the rooms are wonderful (large & clean), the view is spectacular, the location is excellent, and we enjoyed starting each day with the bountiful breakfast buffet. My husband and I highly recommend this hotel to anyone staying in or near beautiful Chiavari.

• Stayed November 2007, traveled as a couple
      Check in / front desk
2 Thank adventuregrrrl
Also consider these accommodations in or near Chiavari
Hotel Monte Rosa
#2 of 17 in Lavagna
Hotel Zia Piera
Hotel Zia Piera
#6 of 8 in Chiavari

Been to Hotel Santa Maria? Share your experiences!