“Family owned gem”

Ranked #54 of 87 Hotels in Chianciano Terme
Birmingham, Alabama
“Family owned gem”
Reviewed November 28, 2011

I stayed at this hotel as part of a Grand Circle trip. The staff (mostly famly) was warm and friendly, the room clean and well appointed, and the location excellent for visiting not only this town but surrounding ones in Tuscany.The atmoshere was comfortable - not pretentious in any way. Free interent in the lobby was a plus as our next hotel (much larger and fancier in Sorrento) did not offer this. Not all of us travel with our own laptops!

Room Tip: I had a corner room with small sitting area and adjoining bedroom
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank modinepeabody

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Horncastle, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 23, 2011

My wife and I stayed at The Patria Hotel for a week and we were very relieved to discover that previous off-putting negative comments did not apply as far as we are concerned; Here is what we found: The entrance to the hotel was immediately welcoming and comfortable looking, To the right was a fine looking restaurant area, To the left a smallish TV/Lecture room with internet facilities. Lift to the bedrooms. The approaches were clean (and odour free).

Our room was the one on the corner above the entrance (128) Not huge but certainly spacious enough. The Bed was large and whilst first impressions were that it seemed a bit hard, it turned out to be surprisingly comfortable. Everything was kept immaculately clean and the rooms were properly prepared every day. The plumbing all worked as it should. The walls were covered in an attractive textured covering (looked new) and try as I did I just could not detect one join!

The food provided on this half board deal was amazing. A marvellous buffet breakfast, which included two types of scrambled egg, ham, salami, fruit, yoghurt, cereals (limited but with everything else on offer who cares)? cheese, breads, cakes, toast and the best croissants I have come across. The coffee came from a Zanussi coffee machine and was excellent!

The evening meals started with a fabulous anti pasta (and frankly I could have stopped at that, it was so 'sufficient') that was followed by two further courses and either fruit or a dessert. Only one course of one meal I would say was not so good, a rather tough pork dish otherwise all was excellent and was a good taste of Italy. I baulked at first at having to buy water and was refused 'tap water' (I found out later that that's to do with an EU ruling, water supplied must be sealed)!! House wine, which was fine, was EU. 9.00/bottle and one could reserve half a bottle for a second day if one wished, so that was all satisfactory. Maybe after dinner coffee could be included as this was an extra expense.

The method of selecting one's meal was a bit confusing but the waiter seemed to understand and sorted everything out in a most assured (if sometimes disconcerting) manner, an interesting and helpful character - who worked briskly and tirelessly it seemed.

This hotel makes no pretensions of grandeur but we liked it and the staff were all helpful, friendly and polite but one of the best things was the wonderful aroma of freshly baked croissants that managed to make its way through our slightly open window every morning to encourage us down to an early breakfast!

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank gfrenchparis
Newton Abbot, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 10, 2010

Much has already been written about the so called 4 star Hotel Patria, and I can confirm all that has been written.
I want to add my report about the tour manager for Newmarket Holidays who did absolutely nothing for me, a 79 year old, when I reported the loss of my wallet, with credit cards, bank card, money etc, on the flight to Naples airport. No English speaking help at the hotel to help as I tried to make phone calls to the airport and to the England banks. But surely the tour manager is there to perform what would be a simple routine task for her. ?
Customer Support at Newmarket HQ got a long letter from me. The wallet loss was dismissed in one sentence in their reply (after seven weeks). "I have noted that you were left to your own devices.... I do apologise.....") Nothing about the duties of their tour manager! Just 10% off my next holiday with them, which I'm hardly likely to take up...

• Stayed September 2010
4 Thank BillStar22

Travelers are raving about these Chianciano Terme hotels

Redruth, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 1, 2010

Appalling food was served on a daily basis - the evening meal proved to be inedible on a number of occasions and on two mornings the milk was off and had to be sent back. The staff were very indifferent and not helpful. The bar in the lounge area was badly stocked and asking for a drink was like asking for the moon. We resorted to eating out towards the end of the week. The rest of the tour party stayed in a 3 star hotel up the road and said their food was adequate. I had upgraded my accommodation and paid more to do so and cannot now think why!! Also the shower leaked every time it was used. There were 6 of us in total staying at the Hotel Patria and the two single women in our party had to pay a single supplement for a room that resembled the size of a closet. Disgraceful!!

• Stayed October 2010
3 Thank JaneS27
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 29, 2010

The hotel was very clean, the staff friendly but not very professional.
Breakfasts OKish continental but no fresh fruit or real fruit juice.
Anti pasta good but main courses were absolutely terrible. To be honest not as good as some school dinners, Very disappointing.
This is certainly not a 4* hotel.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with friends
3 Thank talan04
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 28, 2010

We arrived at this hotel at about 12.30am to find that they had lost the key to our room. Although we had booked a twin room, we were eventually given an alternative room, a double and told that they would change the room the next day. The room was very small and dark.

I wouldn't class this hotel as 4 stars. The decor was dated and the facilities were limited. There was very little outdoor space and inside the lounge and bar areas were very small, just an extension of the reception area really.

The evening meal was at 8pm and had to be chosen the night before. There were some communication problems with the staff and on the first couple of nights they tried to arrange where we sat and who we sat with!

If I hadn't expected a 4 star hotel and had booked this as a 3 star I might not have been disappointed but I had paid for a 4 star to ensure extra facilities and comfort.

• Stayed September 2010