“A peaceful retreat between the crowded sight-seeing tours”

and 1 more site!
Hotel Moderno Chianciano
Ranked #28 of 81 Hotels in Chianciano Terme
Reviewed July 22, 2014

I stayed here for three nights as part of a cultural tour in Tuscany organised by a tour company. The room was comfortable and clean. However, the bathroom was very narrow even for a single room. The dinner was always very delicious and served by a friendly staff. They have a good wine selection that we tasted with the dinner. Having lactose intolerance, it was a great experience that when I asked for lactose free milk for the coffee at breakfast, they brought it to me hot and foamy. This is not usual in even the best and very popular hotel brands. The staff was also very helpful at the reception.
The hotel has a lovely pool area at the back, totally closed from the street. It is free for the guests with towels, sun beds and umbrellas. The pool is suitable for swimming.
It is a bit far from the main attractions of the area, but a perfect peaceful retreat between the crowded sight-seeing tours.

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank Judit_827

Reviewed May 26, 2014

My wife and I stayed here for 1 night returning home from Sorrento with Leger holidays. The Hotel we had been initially booked into had overbooked & we had been transferred to this one. After spending 6 nights at a Hotel with no lounge facilities we were in raptures on walking into this Hotel. There are lounge seating areas throughout the main reception area and a very lovely lounge area with a piano & after our visit to Pompei & Versuvius a very poignant picture is there depicting the scene. The bedrooms probably don't carry through the 4 star opulence of the main reception but certainly offered enough for our overnight needs. For some reason the ceiling was open by the bedroom door with electrical wires hanging down. SKY TV is obviously available but I couldn't work out if it is under a pay per view basis, I could only feel so as unable to get it on the TV. The food (evening meal & breakfast) & service given throughout was very good and the staff attending were very friendly. Wine & drink bottles were set out on a table with the prices on each to make it easier to make your selection. The Hotel is very well located to the town's many shops which are minutes away & the town's fountain area which was under construction last time we visited the town is now complete and gives a lovely area for sitting & watching the World go by. After the evening meal we very much enjoyed sitting in the main lounge area. A very pleasant though unfortunately short stay.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Kevin H
Reviewed October 31, 2013

We stayed here for five nights as part of Archers tour of Tuscany & Umbria.
The room was comfortable and clean. Staff were friendly and helpful.
Food does seem to be mentioned a lot on previous reviews. I am guessing that most comments come from people on tours and the quality of food reflects the deal (price) struck with the tour company. I must say that I found the food to be good, both quality and portion size. Almost always, we were asked if we wanted more. It certainly looked and tasted like it was freshly made/ fresh veg and was mostly Tuscan style.
Wine was reasonably priced.
Free wi-fi was available, but only in the lobby.
In the evening, there was open air dancing in the square (3 minutes walk from the hotel), and a few bars in the locality, but not much else.
A regular public bus service stops nearby and it's easy to take this to the old town (otherwise around half hour walk).
I would stay at this hotel again if in the area.

4  Thank terry99
Reviewed September 30, 2013

Stayed at Hotel Moderno for 7 nights location is good for main square as a lot of the other hotels are high up. I was on half board with Omega Tours and most days I ate out as evening meal was not good breakfast was continental and basic.
Hotel is very clean and staff are very nice also very quick to attend if you ask for them to fix anything in your room. They have a salt room, steam room and small gym on the first floor and their is no charge for this service also you will have to ask for a bathrobe as their was none in my bedroom. The pool area at the back of the building gets the sun until about 5pm and is very nice. Entertainment in the hotel there is none, as the town is very quiet I feel it would be to the hotels advantage to do something about this.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank kb226
Reviewed September 28, 2013

stayed here five nights on group tour
we had a large room with one of the four balconies for the hotel albeit that they were more Juliet style and overlooked the roof/car park/street (but at least the doors opened)
clean and well kept - satellite TV for news channels
breakfast standard and evening meals with reasonable pasta and fair main choices - small salad bar offered and no choice on desserts but wine was cheap and OK and they always offered a big bowl of fresh fruit for the table at dinner (and it was also available a breakfast)
the non tour group guests appeared to have better meal choices (although no a la carte that we could see) and the offer of good cheeses on at least one evening instead of dessert
our tour itinerary was such that we never made it into the pool but it was very inviting and towels were provided
the town is a pleasant stroll and there is a bar on the main square where drinks are reasonable and there is live music and dancing most nights - though this is of course of the continental style and is taken extremely seriously by the mainly italian and german guests who treat it as something out of 'strictly' with a mature resident 'host'couple to encourage you onto the floor - in any even makes for good entertainment value with your after dinner coffee!
shops are naturally expensive

Room Tip: apparently rooms overlooking the pool are smaller and can be noisy if there is a private party at th...
Reviewed September 9, 2013

Enjoyed stay here as base for Omega Tuscany tour. Perhaps not quite Trip Advisors high rating possibly due to food issues. Chef has it too easy. You will not starve BUT!!!
pool very clean and 90% of staff pleasant . Beware Italian hotels 25% charge on beverages bought in hotel.

1  Thank TUBMAN_10
Reviewed August 5, 2013

My grandaughter and I stayed here for a week in July/August 2013.

Our room was perfect. We were so pleased as it was everything we asked for.

Unfortunately I fell ill and was very poorly for 2 days. I did not expect anything special and informed room service when they came that they could leave the room until the next day. I must have looked awful as the next minute the lovely receptionist appeared and between her, her son the pharmicist and the doctor they called for me I could not have been looked after any better. They were so very kind, considerate and caring toward me.

The town is delightful - everything you could wish for in Italy.

I would recommend this town and this hotel as they are close enough to visit Rome and Florence for the day. There are also other nearby attractions.

We found the whole area to be quite magical.

Room Tip: Just ask for a balcony and bath-tub :D
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family