“Not just the weather that is cold”
Review of L'Andana

L'Andana
burnley
“Not just the weather that is cold”
Reviewed May 30, 2013

I was really looking forward to a stay at this hotel that markets itself as one of the leading hotels of the world. Leading the way in how not to treat customers, perhaps? There is no doubt the location and fit out of L'Andana are superb. A Tuscan delight in ochre set amongst rolling hills, flanked by vineyards and the sea. Is your mouth watering at the thought? Mine too until I met the breakfast buffet. More of a table and kitchen top really- ham, salami, the left over bits of Parmesan, a bowl of strawberries, a bowl of raw eggs and a lot of cake. Oh and don't be deceived by the chef present, he cannot take your order despite his fluent linguistic skills. An order has to taken by the waiter and a bit like the service the order disappears into the ether. Three days, three egg orders and no egg.
Never mind there is always the hotel picnic, the salami sandwich and half a sausage. Where is Mr Ducasse when you need him or even good old M & S? Starving and brushing off the summer snow you return to the hotel and decide to defrost in the luxury of your suite that has all the amenities, bar hot water. Plan B, a hot coffee and a piece of cake. You ask a staff member. "No cake" is the reply. Hmmm a five star hotel at four in the afternoon and no cake, no snack only a biscotti. Has Mr Ducasse been replace by Mr Dukan I begin to wonder. The other thought is "Who ate all the cake?". Clearly no one as the leftovers from breakfast which have been nicely hardening overnight are served up the following morning.
There is more to five star luxury than good sheets and a great location. L'Andana has premium prices for less than premier inn service. The spa and it's staff are great though.I would recommend a spa day there, just sleep and eat elsewhere.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank carolyn j

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
Chicago, Illinois, United States
Reviewed January 13, 2013

My husband and I stayed at L'Andana in September and are still dreaming about it to this day. The staff made us feel like royalty. They were warm and accommodating. We never had to lift a finger and by the time we left we felt as though we barley had a pulse. The grounds are unbelievable. We took a hike to an ancient church on top of the hill and were able to take in some amazing view. Be forewarned that it is a bit challenging. The food was amazing. Especially the Italian "BBQ". Which was 5 star all the way. If you are looking for somewhere to be pampered and to take in some wonderful food and views look no further.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Paris, France
Reviewed December 9, 2012

This was amazing. I got an upgrade and got one of the nicest suites I have ever stayed in. The pool, jacuzzi and practice golf were all great. My wife loved the spa and room service was impeccable. I only wish I could go back there and do it all again.

2 Thank Indiewheel
Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed November 25, 2012

What a fabulous place! Having just arrived from a very formal hotel we were relieved to get a friendly greeting from the receptionists, and from all the staff while we were there. It was a really relaxed, informal atmosphere but everything was excellent - the rooms are gorgeous, the food was superb. The bath and shower are absolutely amazing.

We enjoyed a cookery class with one of the chef's, which was great fun. We loved moving between the three pools, with their different temperatures and waters. We had a great time cycling around the vineyards. Our time was quite short, so we weren't able to explore the nearby village but that's ok because we will definitely be back!

We enjoyd a cookery class with one of the chef's, which was great fun

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank runsandjumps
West Islip, NY
Reviewed October 7, 2012

My Dearest and I enjoyed a relaxing stay at L’Andana. It is pleasant enough but falls short of the high standards set by other Italian resorts in the same price bracket. Everywhere at L’Andana I found cheap and tacky touches making it painfully obvious that management is more interested in the bottom line than in providing five star luxury.

The guest rooms at L’Andana are housed in two low rise buildings of recent construction and indifferent quality. If you look past the rustic ochre paint job, these buildings have about as much charm as your average Holiday Inn. The exterior walls feature clumsily patched holes and peeling paint.

The guest rooms are large and spacious but full of cheap touches. Most of the furniture is made of painted softwood with visible chipping and scuff marks. The art on the walls appears to have been produced by making Xerox copies of old architectural drawings and then framing them. Fake plaster antiquities were bolted to the walls. The cabinetry and shelving were made of painted pine. No carpets or rugs on the floor. The lighting was tacky. The center of the room featured a fake gas fireplace with a frame and mantelpiece of painted softwood.

The bathroom was also spacious. I loved the huge mirror, the expansive countertops and the double sinks. Then things went downhill fast. In order to bathe, one needed to step into something that looked like a wading pool that featured a rainforest shower head, a handsprayer, a bathtub faucet, and a metal drain plug shaped like a shitake mushroom. The wading pool was far bigger than you needed for a shower, but it was lined in small sharp-edged tiles that made it uncomfortable to sit down and take a bath. There was no shower curtain, so taking a shower involved spraying quarts of water across the bathroom floor. I was terrified that the top heavy shitake mushroom would fall over onto my big toe and break it. Apparently the wading pool was someone’s creative attempt to mimic a Roman bath. While there are many areas of life in which I applaud creativity, bathroom plumbing is not one of them!

More about the bathroom: the towels were Holiday Inn thin, and no extra towels were provided. The shampoo, bath gel, and other product were L’Andana’s house brand of indifferent quality. The toilet and bidet lived in a small cell within the bathroom. The door to the cell banged against the bidet. I did chuckle at the thought of giving the cell door a good slam so future French guests would have to get along without a bidet!

Breakfast is served in a room that gives new meaning to the term “soul-less”. Zero décor except rust shards shaped as animal profiles. Poor ventilation. Dirty and tattered sheer curtains. Tables and chairs borrowed from a prison cafeteria.

Breakfast service was amateurish. No-one greeted us when we arrived. We seated ourselves. On a clear sunny morning we were told that outdoor seating was not permitted since there was a threat of rain. Five minutes later a French family loudly demanded and received an al fresco table. (I guess they looked more waterproof than My Dearest and me.) Some waiters spoke passable English at breakfast; others did not. I seemed to terrify one waiter in particular: he visibly shook in my presence.

The breakfast buffet was disappointing and woefully more limited than the breakfast buffets at other Italian resorts I have visited. No meats other than cured or baked ham. There was only one variety of cheese most mornings. No smoked salmon or other fish option. When buffet items were finished they were not replenished. The coffee was acrid and often lukewarm. On a few mornings we were offered freshly squeezed citrus juice: an isolated nice touch. On other mornings we ordered beverages that never arrived. Some days we were offered cooked food; other days we were not.

L’Andana sports two swimming pools surrounded by serviceable loungers. Pool service was friendly but slow. A brick wall lined the end of one pool – apparently intended as a decoration. Lion faces cast in plaster hung from the wall and water drained into the pool from spouts in their mouths. Someone has been shopping at the Home Depot!

Lunch hit some high notes but was inconsistent. The house salads delighted me, bursting with fresh produce from the region. On some days the spaghetti ragu was divine with freshly made pasta and a traditional meaty sauce. On other days both the pasta and the sauce came from a supermarket. On some days the waiters were professional and charming. On other days the B Team waited tables and stumbled over their English. I have a strict rule against ice cream, but the delicious homemade gelato forced me to break my rule – again and again and again!

The Trattoria Toscana Restaurant features large portions of red meat roasted in a rustic style with lots of garlic and rosemary. For the most part the meat was very tasty, but some bits were too chewy for me – it’s difficult to enjoy a meal when your gums ache from overwork. The service was friendly at the start of the meal when they are taking your order or selling you an expensive bottle of wine, but afterwards you are mostly left to fend for yourself. The sommelier scowled when I had the temerity to ask for a dessert wine at the end of my meal. The olive oil and the roasted veggies were super!

Trattoria Toscana is overpriced. There are many charming restaurants nearby that offer more imaginative food at better prices. If you stay at L’Andana for more than two nights, you simply must visit some of them. I particularly recommend Terra di Nello, where the steak tartare was divine and the cured pigs cheeks melted on my tongue like butter. (When I explained to our rabbi my thesis that pork products in Tuscany are kosher, he didn’t argue. I take that as a Yes!)

Despite all the shortcomings, My Dearest and I enjoyed our stay at L’Andana. The countryside is lovely. The setting with vineyards and olive trees all round is charming. Lying by the pool gazing at all this beauty, it was possible to overlook even quite glaring flaws.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
5 Thank tarrytown54
ITALY
Reviewed September 17, 2012

Great place beautiful scenery, but terrible restaurant service, quality of the food, ok, but not enough related to the price. The same for the LUnch restaurant it was a disaster , it took them forever to serve and then again for ever to bring the check. Would never go back to the restaurant but the hotel is beautiful.

1 Thank Justsaying123
London, UK
Reviewed September 4, 2012

We have recently spent four days with our young chidlren at the Tenuta of Casa Badiola, part of the Andana's hotel and loved it. While it is expensive, the sorrounding are just wonderful, quiet and peaceful. Our room was really spacious and had a nice garden and view of the hills. The one thing we really appreciated is that all the staff were really friendly with the children and made us feel confortable at all times. The food at the Villa was very good, but probably not excellent considering the price, but we had amazing meals at the Trattoria Toscana. We would def, want to go back

1 Thank Alex C