“Simply wonderful”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Veranda

Veranda
Ranked #6 of 52 Restaurants in Cernobbio
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions, Large groups, Business meetings
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Validated Parking, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Knutsford, United Kingdom
“Simply wonderful”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 20, 2014 via mobile

Although we were staying at Villa D'Este, La Veranda wasn't really floating our boats because the menu just didn't have the sorts of choices that appealed and because basically, we were having breakfast there every morning and so it was a little less special. We left it until our final night when we saw that the chef had some specials on that looked interesting.

I'm so glad that we did. The food was simply lovely and the service completely faultless. The view is obviously gorgeous but when you've been looking at it at breakfast and from your balcony every day, you become a little casual about it. We choose a table a few rows in from the front where we could do some people watching as well as look over the lake. There was a guy in front who was wearing the worse wig in the world which amused us in a discreet way.

The sommelier recommended a huge 16.5% red for me from a small, modern vineyard near Rome and it was knockout. My wife stuck to her normal Pouilly Fume and was very happy with it.

The total bill, whilst being a little on the dear side (what do you expect?) was certainly a lot less than similar quality restaurants in Rome and we were actually pleasantly surprised by it.

If you can't run to staying at the hotel, do try and eat dinner here if your budget allows it. If not, maybe try lunch, but don't mix up lunch at La Veranda with lunch in the bar or the pool bar which is very disappointing as the previous reviewer, Antonella experienced. By the way, I don't think the waiters were looking down on you Antonella, I just think they're a bit slow in the pool bar.

Visited June 2014
1 Thank Cookiemonster171

“Must try but men must wear a suit”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 14, 2014 via mobile

Before dinner, we toured the hotel grounds and it was amazing. You will take a lot of photos for sure.

As for dinner, there is a dress code so if you are on holidays, gentlemen should also pack a suit as that is required to dine.

The food and service were very good. Expect to pay a premium, but why not spoil yourself.

Melbourne, Australia
“Excellent”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 5, 2014

Great food and very good old world service which we appreciated greatly.
Some staff we remembered from a meal we had there 7 yrs ago!

• Visited July 2014
Geneva, Switzerland
“if you are not psh enough, bling-bling and not a fashion guru, avoid the place!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 26, 2014

Went with my daughter and grand-son to Villa d'Este two weeks ago. It was a very warm, sunny day, we were exited to spend nice hours in front of Como lake, with good food and excellent service, the least one should be expecting from such place.
We sat at the pool restaurant, ordered three drinks and the menu. After 20 minutes of patiently waiting, we finally got our drinks' The place was busy. A large table of Spanish was grabbing staff attention, we understood. The clients left, new ones arrived, they got served while we were still waiting for our food order to be taken. Forty five minutes later, I stood up, and realized that two of the many waiters were making signs amongst themselves, discretely pointing in our direction. I did interpret as they are leaving, at last! I walked straight to one of them and politely said to him that if our style/look was not ok for the place and consequently they didn't want to serve us, they should have mention it at the very beginning. I felt and my daughter too, humiliated by these employees that earn less than my cleaning lady. We left, without paying our drinks, no one argued.
I find this attitude very unpleasant. I have being good client to Villa d Este since the 80th.
I certainly will never go back to a place where staff are so inelegant and unmannered. Saying that, the purpose of my visit was to introduce the place to my daughter as we wanted to invite her friends for her graduation from Marangoni Institute and her 26th birthday. Instead, we rented villa Borromeo, were we got the best service ever!
Milan city and places such as this one, have few locations with staff that can be pretentious and arrogant. It always makes me wonder, who has the money and why are they so complexed? To me, it is an obsolete behavior. Being rich don't mean to be a show-offer, in the contrary. I travel very extensively to Asia, Bali being my second home, there we know the value of immaculate service! Make sure if you go to Bali to visit the W and the Bulgari resort in Uluwatu.
If you are interested, I can also give you a list of places to avoid in Milano (and surroundings), due to staff and management lack of education, there are quite a few.

16 Thank antonella56
Jerusalem, Arkansas
“Romantic atmosphere”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 22, 2014

The lunch was worth it for the service, the presentation, the view, the surroundings, the gardens. It is an exclusive hotel which I would assume has great rooms. We really enjoyed our visit.

• Visited June 2014