“Unique and special”
Review of Villa d'Este

Villa d'Este
Ranked #1 of 7 Hotels in Cernobbio
Reviewed August 22, 2013 via mobile

One of the great hotels with service and quality reputation that is well deserved. There must be an army of people behind the scenes that makes everything appear seamless and perfect. For example you never smell food cooking or see laundry or food deliveries. You're never disturbed in your room by service workers. Bed linen is real linen and changed every day. Yes, wildly expensive for some things (€120 blow dry, boat hire 5 times the price of the village) but otherwise you get what you pay for. Beautiful.

• Stayed: July 2013
1  Thank clontarf

Reviewed August 21, 2013

We ended our 2 weeks of vacationing in Italy by spending 3 days vacationing with the Italians in the true lap of luxury. What a spectacular contrast this hotel provided for us road weary travelers. The service is amazing.
The setting is just stunning, and we could hardly pull ourselves away from the pool set IN the lake.
The hotel arranged a boat tour to Bellagio that was delightful. Don't miss it. The drinks and dominos at sunset were enhanced by the gentleman playing piano in a tuxedo outside. Just
delightful in every way.
The only comment I have is regarding the actual food. It's expensive which is to be expected. However, for the price some of the lunch items were not that good.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank melody m
Reviewed August 18, 2013 via mobile

For me one of the best places on earth! Sometimes not the best weather but grate position and fantastic place to relax. Fantastic food. Nice swimmingpool. Desserts are n.1. The little castles over the hotel are very nice for jogging

• Stayed: August 2013
Reviewed August 17, 2013

I have never experienced a hotel simultaneously so supremely luxurious and incredibly relaxed and friendly. I don't expect I ever will. Every luxury resort should aspire to be this wonderful. The closest thing I've ever experienced is Sea Island and Sea Island lives solidly in the shadows of Villa D'Este. Every architectural and decorative detail is French opulence with the perfect amount of restraint. The staff is perfectly trained and both sophisticated and friendly. The guests are equally chic. Well dressed, well mannered and understated. I could have stayed here forever.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Chele32789
Reviewed August 12, 2013

We enjoyed our evening meal at the grill in a lovely setting and very attentive staff,it was a gorgeous experience.We enjoyed it so much that we decided to come back on the following lunchtime for a bar type snack before driving to Milan for our flight home.I ordered the beef sandwich which was extremely disappointing as it was presented on white bread.My wife ordered tomato salad with mozzarella which was also disappointing as the tomato was hard and unpleasant and tasteless.One thinly sliced hard whitish tasteless tomato,1 sliced ball of mozzarella and a sprig of basil and some green blobs which we think were dressing.My son ordered ham and cheese toastie which arrived cold and he had to re order.I don't believe this was up to the standard expected of a 5 star hotel .My daughter however had spaghetti carbonara which she enjoyed.The 4 bar meals plus several bottles of water and 3 coffees came to around 90 euros.Not even the beautiful views made up for our disappointment.

So in conclusion we had a return visit which sadly was spoiled by a poor bar style lunch.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Robin P
Reviewed August 12, 2013

This hotel has this rare quality to join together luxury at its best and very open and friendly atmosphere.
The site, the view, the building, the rooms are exceptional. This is transcended by the unique ambiance of the villegiatura.
Service is really at its best, never seen in Europe.

Room Tip: The Villa provides a jogging map which is actually an excellent guide to discover the whole site. As...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 12, 2013

I can only comment on the experience of visiting the hotel for a day nothing else.
But this is one of those dream hotels that is frequented and has been frequented by the rich and famous; and it really is easy to see why. From Bette Davies to Presidents etc.
Steeped in the amazing history including it once being owned by the Princess of Wales (not Diana!) but Caroline of Brunswick (yes, I had to look her up too).... this hotel is just one of those places that you cannot begin to question the cost; it is simply about the experience of doing something out of this world if you are lucky and fortunate enough to be able to do so.
I of course would love to stay at the hotel, but at E450 starting price per room (or it could be per person?) and I think that may be out of season, it is over budget, sadly for me!
But if luck should change I would go back there and book myself immediately into any room; the cellar, I really wouldn't care... it's that good. There is every spa treatment you can think of... indoor swimming pools; outdoor swimming pool within the lake etc.
The scenery is breathtaking. Everything is about opulence. The staff are amazing and the restaurant a huge hit with my husband and I. Prime seats next to Lake Como... which isn't too difficult as there are many seating areas and different restaurants/bar areas. But expect to part with at least between E80-100 per head at lunch! Starters are about E20-25+; mains anything from E30,00+
It's just one of the those places that either you are fortunate enough to be a regular visitor and good for them too. Or if like me, if simply want to experience the grandeur for even a couple of hours then you will not be disappointed.
There is no pressure to eat lunch. You could simply pop in for coffee... but you will want more, believe me.

Room Tip: I woudl put excellent for everything if I could but as a none-resident guest that would be cheating...
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Sally E
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cernobbio
Grand Hotel Tremezzo
#3 of 32 in Como
Royal Victoria
Royal Victoria
#1 of 6 in Varenna

Been to Villa d'Este? Share your experiences!