Hotel Riva del Sole
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
  • Pool
Sottomura(Cefalu)
View Hotel
All reviewsgreat locationhotel locatedlonger stayeasy parkingroom was spaciousfree parkingcomfortable hotelone night stayenjoyed our staybalconyseatownhairdryerstepsgiuseppemeats
Reviewed May 31, 2013

We stayed at Hotel Riva del Sole in mid May for 1 night. It is perfectly located in Cefalu opposite the beach and just a short 5min walk to the old town.

The service was fantastic, our bags were taken straight up to our room and we were always greeted by multiple staff members on the ground floor. We had a sea view room with a balcony which did not disappoint. The room was clean and spacious. There was a safe and a mini bar fridge. The bathroom was small yet good. The hotel offered free wifi which worked well for us. It was still fairly cold so breakfast was served inside with a large selection of Italian pastries and yogurt. The hotel also offered free parking at a large lot next door, on the road the hotel is very easy to find as it is well signposted. It is a 3 star hotel with 5 star service, I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank NatalieDW89
Reviewed May 31, 2013

lovely hotel with a fabulous staff, across the street from the beach. They also have a very good restaurant(which we ate at). We had a room facing the garden which was very nice. Rooms also face the beach and the sea with nice balcony's. Elevator is available. Breakfast included. Want anything, just ask. Cleanliness beyond belief. I have read some negative reviews about certain things, I will tell you that those people should stay home and go to the Jersey shore. Typical American tourists who think they deserve. NO. This pace is wonderful, so Go.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed May 10, 2013

Having screwed up and missed booking one night's lodging, we searched TripAdvisor and decided to try Riva del Sole. We were not disappointed.

The hotel is immaculately clean, with marble lobby floors and tiled rooms. Breakfast buffet was abundant, with ample choices for healthy eating, as well as pastries. The view from the dining room is an expansive ocean view.

Service staff at check-in as well as at breakfast were helpful.

The hotel is right on the waterfront, across from the esplanade. Would definitely stay again.

Room Tip: Better to stay on the top (2nd) floor.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed May 9, 2013

Very well-kempt and spotless hotel. We had spacious room with a sea view. Enjoyed sitting on the balcony and watching the locals on their evening promenade, passegiata. The sandy beach is just on the other side of the street and you can get beach towels from the reception. The hotel has its own little parking place which comes handy for those with a rental car.
The place seems to be family-owned and I suspect it is run by the solemn-looking older gentleman in guard at the reception and keeping the staff members, and the customers alike, on their tiptoe. It is the first time I have stayed in a hotel where "it is forbidden to bring own drinks or food in the room", assumingly in order to make the customers use the overpriced mineral water and soft drink content of the minibar.
The hotel seems to be saving on hot water as well as on air-conditioning - both of which were turned off and not available even on request. It is a pity, since the owner could have an excellent rating for his hotel by just providing these basic services and a smile to his customers, who nevertheless pay a comparably high price (125 e per night) for their stay.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 8, 2013

After a tiring drive in the off-season, we chose this exceptionally pretty hotel on the waterfront for its location and--after being shown the room--for its beauty. Unfortunately, a nerve-soothing, before-dinner shower proved impossible on this chilly day; the hottest water available was not even tepid--far too cold to bathe in.

I spoke to the employee on the desk, who said they had been having some "technical" problems. He said he would look into it, and within a half-hour, there should be hot water. But he looked strangely nervous as he said this, so I waited a half-hour and then ran the hot water full strength for ten minutes, just in case the water heater might be, oh, half a mile away. Of course, the water was still only tepid. So I phoned him and told him this.

He said, "Oh, but it has been fixed."
I said, "I assure you it has not been fixed. There is no hot water."
With a tired sigh, he said, "I will look into it again. In another half-hour, there will be hot water."

And in another half-hour, there was indeed slightly *warm* water. Not hot, but if you did not add ANY cold at all, it was just bearable.

In the morning, before my shower, I tested the water, and sure enough, the hot water had been--I am sure--turned off during the night. So, I called the desk and told the guy again that there was no hot water. He was basically a pleasant person, and we went through the same routine as the night before. By being polite but persistent, I got WARM water one full hour later.

In addition, although it was an unseasonably cold spring, the heating in the room was turned OFF.

And finally, for a premium price in a premium hotel, there was NO wifi in the room. You had to go to a common area regardless of the fact that it might be 1am--very inconvenient for international travelers en route for months at a time.

At times, there was a very sour-looking older man on the desk, handling what looked like old-fashioned ledgers. From the fear and embarrassment the employees showed around him, I suspect this was in fact the owner, and that he was exactly the sort of skinflint, who--to save money--would deliberately shut off the hot water in the bathroom, as well as the climatization, plus the wifi in the rooms.

If my guess is right, this policy will bring him no profit, for (a) who in his right mind would ever return to such an hotel? and (b) who--after reading on tripavisor that there is no hot water and no wifi in the room--would even THINK of stopping there?

Room Tip: First things: 1. Go into the bathroom and turn on the hot water. If, three or four minutes later, you have real hot water, the place MIGHT be OK. 2. If the hotel offers in-room wifi, while the water is heating up (or not), try to connect your computer. If neither of these things work, turn on your heel and depart. Things will not get any better.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple