Hotel Riva del Sole
$112
$95
$401
$388
All reviewsgreat locationold townhotel locatedlonger stayeasy parkingroom was spaciousfree parkingcomfortable hotelone night stayenjoyed our staybalconyseahairdryerstepsgiuseppemeats
Reviewed April 8, 2013

After a tiring drive in the off-season, we chose this exceptionally pretty hotel on the waterfront for its location and--after being shown the room--for its beauty. Unfortunately, a nerve-soothing, before-dinner shower proved impossible on this chilly day; the hottest water available was not even tepid--far too cold to bathe in.

I spoke to the employee on the desk, who said they had been having some "technical" problems. He said he would look into it, and within a half-hour, there should be hot water. But he looked strangely nervous as he said this, so I waited a half-hour and then ran the hot water full strength for ten minutes, just in case the water heater might be, oh, half a mile away. Of course, the water was still only tepid. So I phoned him and told him this.

He said, "Oh, but it has been fixed."
I said, "I assure you it has not been fixed. There is no hot water."
With a tired sigh, he said, "I will look into it again. In another half-hour, there will be hot water."

And in another half-hour, there was indeed slightly *warm* water. Not hot, but if you did not add ANY cold at all, it was just bearable.

In the morning, before my shower, I tested the water, and sure enough, the hot water had been--I am sure--turned off during the night. So, I called the desk and told the guy again that there was no hot water. He was basically a pleasant person, and we went through the same routine as the night before. By being polite but persistent, I got WARM water one full hour later.

In addition, although it was an unseasonably cold spring, the heating in the room was turned OFF.

And finally, for a premium price in a premium hotel, there was NO wifi in the room. You had to go to a common area regardless of the fact that it might be 1am--very inconvenient for international travelers en route for months at a time.

At times, there was a very sour-looking older man on the desk, handling what looked like old-fashioned ledgers. From the fear and embarrassment the employees showed around him, I suspect this was in fact the owner, and that he was exactly the sort of skinflint, who--to save money--would deliberately shut off the hot water in the bathroom, as well as the climatization, plus the wifi in the rooms.

If my guess is right, this policy will bring him no profit, for (a) who in his right mind would ever return to such an hotel? and (b) who--after reading on tripavisor that there is no hot water and no wifi in the room--would even THINK of stopping there?

Room Tip: First things: 1. Go into the bathroom and turn on the hot water. If, three or four minutes later, you have real hot water, the place MIGHT be OK. 2. If the hotel offers in-room wifi, while the water is heating up (or not), try to connect your computer. If neither of these things work, turn on your heel and depart. Things will not get any better.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank ohtryit
Reviewed March 21, 2013

This is a beautiful hotel right on the beach, large rooms, friendly greeting, entirely first class. So why no hot water? And they don't even seem particularly worried about it. If you are thinking of staying here and if a shower is important to you, be very wary of their assurances that it will be fixed in 30 minutes... This hotel would have scored excellent, save for this glaring, glaring deficiency.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 10, 2013 via mobile

Cold water, babies crying next door, people making babies next door( the other door) in other words no soundproofing, and an arrogant owner. The staff were fantastic but obviously in awe of their boss. Great location genuine staff let down the owner failing hospitality 101.

• Stayed: February 2012
2  Thank Nicknoname
Reviewed November 5, 2012

Extraordinary decor, totally out of step with its neighbours. I wasn't very sure when we first went in but the welcome was first class from the man who showed us where the car park was to the lovely chap who coached me on how to say our room number in Italian.

I was slightly disappointed that breaksfast was served in the bowels of the hotel and not in the lovely dining room with its sea views.

Our room was clean and spacious, the balcony accommodate 2 chairs with room to spare and the location is tip top, a stone's thow from the old town and over the road from the beach.

Room Tip: Get a sea view, or there's not point being there! The beach road didn;t have a huge amount of traffic when we were there.
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank LizFDerby
Reviewed November 5, 2012

We turned up in Cefalu looking for somewhere to stay and relax following a busy week touring Sicily, in late October. Having called in at various hotels in town, we decided on a double room at the front of the Rive del Sole, over-looking the beach, offered to us at an excellent rate with free parking. Despite being at the front of the hotel, the road traffic was not a problem and we fell asleep each night to the sound of the sea. The hotel is impecabbly clean, comfortable, well-run and has a team of helpful staff. Cefalu is charming and a nice contrast to some of the down-trodden places we had seen on our travels, and we enjoyed our stay immensely.

Room Tip: It's worth paying a bit more for a sea view
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple