“Good location but pricey for area”

Hotel Riva del Sole
Ranked #19 of 36 Hotels in Cefalu
london
“Good location but pricey for area”
Reviewed July 10, 2012

The hotel probably has the best location in Cefalu and in spotlessly clean.

Breakfast is uninspiring and the rooms are on the small side. Beds/Pillows are uncomfortable and Seaviews probably not worth the extra cost.

We would probably try the Sea Palace or Astro Suites which are just 5 minutes further along the seafront if returning to Cefalu which we most probably will. Good sandy beach opposite the hotel and main old town just a short walk away.

Just a bit pricey for what it is imo.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
  • Polish first
Corpus Christi, Texas
Reviewed May 15, 2012

We recently stayed 2 nights at this hotel. It has a wonderful location across the promenade from the beach. Our room faced the beach with a nice balcony - good for relaxing, reading, and/or people watching. The hotel was immaculate. The room and bathroom were reasonable sized. Breakfast had the usual fruit, yogurt, cereal, breads, etc. but also fresh eggs and a cooker so you could prepare a boiled egg to your liking. A couple members of the staff seemed a bit reserved at first but I think that may have been related to being less than fluent in English. Over the 2 days this was not a problem and one of the desk staff even was asking me for help in understanding some common American English phrases. Upon checking out we had a late day train and they were most accommodating about leaving our bags at the hotel until departure time. We would certainly return to this hotel if we were to be in Cefalu in the future.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank MZC-Grandma
Perth, Australia
Reviewed February 24, 2012

Beautiful location and hotel... The male staff members and housekeeping were lovely and helpful, ensuring we were well looked after but the female reception staff/management need a lesson or 5 in customer service...and perhaps the ability to crack a smile once in a while!

We agreed on a price for 2 nights and 2 rooms, off-season, then on check out the female manager sneakily tried to charge the "discount" to one of the couples' bills, on the chance we wouldn't make a fuss. This resulted in a painful and unnecessary argument.

Also the water in bathroom was only lukewarm and didn't get much warmer after bringing it to management's attention, even though we were reassured it had been fixed.

Breakfast was lovely though.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Amy M
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Reviewed December 25, 2011

For two nights we enjoyed this quiet hotel at the beach, close to downtown Cefalu.
The breakfast buffet was very good. Lots of fresh fruits, beverages, bread, cold cuts etc.
Clean rooms and bathroom.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Jeroen1975
Bellmore, New York
Reviewed October 20, 2011

What a beautiful hotel with perfect ameneties, friendly staff and right across the street from the soft sand beach of cefalu. We stoped in without reservations mid Sept 2011 and we were given a large and beautifull room with balcony overlooking the magnificent beach. Cant wait to go back and spend time taking in the beauty of Cefalu and the relaxing feeling of the hotel

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank rlf88
North Carolina
Reviewed October 6, 2011

We stayed here in early September 2011, during a 12 day trip around Sicily. Cefalu was the last stop of our trip and most important to me, since my family is from Cefalu and I have never been. I grew up hearing stories about it and wanted to go there my entire life. We picked Riva Del Sole for its location across the street (10 steps) from the beach, and spent 3 nights at Riva Del Sole. After having such fabulous hospitality everywhere else we visited (Palermo, Agrigento, Taormina, Randazzo), we were a little disappointed by our initial welcome to Riva Del Sole. I went to check in and the owner was clearly not amused by my lack of perfect Italian. He at first acted like he did not understand me, (though I've read on other reviews that he understands English, which I resorted too after my broken Italian was apparently not cutting it). He seemed annoyed that we were American. We were then made to wait 40 minutes for our room, with no updates as to the status. I was then the one who was not amused. Finally he came over and showed us our room. Things did shape up from there. My husband and I both speak spanish and between my limited Italian and our spanish, with a few engligh words thrown in, we were able to communicate for the rest of the trip in a way that seemed satisfactory to the owner. He was polite and accomodating the rest of our stay. We had a sea front room on the second floor that was right next to the business office. Though the lobby and dining room of this hotel look grand, the rooms are a bit dated and could use some updating. However, the room was impeccably clean and the balcony was large with an amazing view of the beach, town, and La Rocca. The bathroom was a good size though the shower was small. The room did provide a safe and a small refridgerator. As an added bonus, I must say that this room had the best hairdryer of any hotel I've stayed in in Europe. This hotel is not only close to the beach, but a 5 minute walk into town with lots of people watching on the way. Breakfast is served outside in the garden. The dining staff was very attentive, especially the main server (I think his name was Alberto- forgive me if I got this wrong, he was a very professional and nice person and spoke multiple languages fluently- he is a true asset to this hotel). Anyways, the breakfast was decent and served in a nice setting. There is free parking on the street in front of the hotel. Once when we went for a drive (to a great local restaurant by the marina called La Tavernetta), we couldn't find a spot and the front desk staff was very helpful and parked the car for us. We left the keys with the front desk for the rest of the trip until our departure when they got the car for us. It was quote helpful to not have to worry about it. A few tips: 1) The hotel provides beach towels but they don't tell you this. You have to ask at the front desk. 2) The hotel also has a deal with one of the beach clubs for chair rentals. It brings the price down from 10 euro/person to 7 euro/person. Again they don't tell you this, but ask the front desk so they can give you a voucher to give to the attendant at the beach club. It's the one to the right, not directly in front of the hotel. I think it was the Apollo beach club- (highly recommend). 3) There is free wifi but again you have to ask at the front desk and they'll give you a code. It was fast and we were able to even upload pictures online.
I do hope that they eventually update the rooms- it would be quite nice if they would add some fresh bedding and decor in the rooms. We would stay here again and recommend it to anyone wanting the experience Cefalu and be seaside. (though I'll have my Italian in better form next time, haha)

Room Tip: go for the seafront room. it has a large balcony and though it's busy during the day, it is quie...
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
5 Thank AndiamoJla
Auckland Region, New Zealand
Reviewed October 5, 2011

We stayed 5N here in a sea view room with balcony. We didn't use the hotel "paying" beach but just turned right from the hotel and went 100m down the steps to the sand. The roof top terrace is a relaxing place but there could be more umbrellas provided as featured in the hotel brochure photos! The staff were helpful and friendly and could speak English. The breakfast buffet was excellent and it was good to be able to cook our own eggs with toast! The free wifi is good. It's a short walk to the historical centre. There is a supermarket to the left of the hotel and left again. Maybe a 5min walk. There is a small fridge in the room.
Would recommend this hotel as a perfect place to unwind. We have been travelling for 3 weeks in Sicily and needed some relaxation!

Room Tip: Book a sea view room if available.
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple