“Arm yourself with a car, a guidebook, an open mind and a sense of adventure! ...then brilliant!”

Hotel Club Costa Verde
Ranked #18 of 36 Hotels in Cefalu
Reviewed August 24, 2012

My new wife and I ventured here for our honeymoon as we have both always wanted to see Sicliy. The transfer from the airport was extortionate so we decided to rent a car. I must say this was a saving grace as the resort is a little remote and without it, going to Taormina or the valley of the temples at Agrigento would have been almost impossible, let alone just trying to have a meal out in Cefalu of an evening. The food at the hotel is varied and tasty, breakfast is the same each day but enough of a selection to satisfy. Lunch and dinner were always different and a lot to choose from, I often found myself having two different platefulls at a sitting! The aqua park across the road was disappointing, with just two slides and a wave machine it's definitely more aimed for kids. Having said that the 'wellness' centre there was very relaxing and we were treated well, albeit a touch on the pricey side. I loved being one of only two English couples at this resort as we were left to our own devices and it really didn't pose a problem with communicating what drinks or snacks we wanted. The bus to the beach is fun and frequent, the staff are lively and helpful and the room was superb. The view was beautiful with the motorway barely visable and certainly not noisy. We were lucky to have our room at the opposite end of the hotel to the entertainment as I can imagine this may be disturbing to the otherwise peaceful evenings on the balcony but we couldn't hear a peep. If you thrive on English speaking, entertainment packed poolside holidays then you may be disappointed but to see a truly breathtaking part of the world, stay in a foreign place and eat foreign food then this place is clean and vibrant! Recommended!

• Stayed: August 2012
6  Thank Praego

Reviewed August 10, 2012

The Costa Verde is a great hotel for all the family, it is similar to that of Butlins in the UK in that everything you need is pretty much built into the compound. There are souvenir shops and even a Nightclub. The main fault with this from an Englishman's perspective is the dire lack of English speaking staff. The people at the main desk speak great English but other than that no one else does. All the entrainment and announcements are in Italian and French so if you are going there and only speak English you may feel a bit out of place or a bit lost at times and you will have to go out of your way to find out what is happening in terms of entertainment...but even then you wont be able to understand it as it is all presented in Italian and French. If this place where to employ some fluent English speakers to help integrate the only English-speaking people there into the community of the Hotel this place would definatley have got a rating of 4 from me. Also the Hotel is located quite some distance from the main city of Cefalu, while there are regular buses to Cefalu free of charge from the hotel they stop running at 9 so if you enjoy walking around the city centre at night you will have to get a taxi which on average will cost you 20 euros there and back.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
4  Thank JulianPenna
Reviewed July 10, 2012

Just returned from a super holiday at the Costa Verde and would return again in the blink of an eye. Other reviewers really have got it wrong, I cannot believe that someone would mark the hotel down for no internet access in the rooms as they had to authorise a payroll!! Or that another would give a lower score because not enough English is spoken - it is Sicily!!
OK this is how it is; we were all-inclusive so we used the restaurants daily. Of the meals breakfast was the weakest meal, but only if you expect it cooked. For a continental breakfast of breads, fruit juice, ham, cheese, cereals and good coffee it was great! The other meals were super - great choice, pasta, pizza, always a seafood option and a meat carvery with lovely salads. Service in the restaurants was great, tables cleared constantly and any requests handled promptly. The hotel offers free Wi-Fi in the reception area, for all guests. The majority of guests are Italian and French so all the entertainment provided by the young animation team is geared around them, if you do not enjoy being with other nationalities, or only want a hotel that caters to British/Irish then go somewhere else! Personally I loved mixing with loads of other nationalities, this one of the reasons why I go abroad on holiday. Every member of staff in the hotel I found to be extremely helpful and they all made our stay very pleasant. As other reviewers have already said, the hotel is a bit isolated and for that reason I would recommend hiring car. The rooms I found to be large and each had a TV and a fridge. I also liked some of the extra touches that the hotel provided, we arrived quite late at night, but a lovely cold supper was provided for us and other latecomers on arrival. Also a room for showering was provided after we checked out of our own room at 10.30am giving us almost an extra day. All this was done without any fuss or extra charge. All inclusive I found to be great value with soft drinks for the kids especially worthwhile. The bar staff like everyone else in the hotel were helpful, friendly and professional. Cefalu is a beautiful town and well worth a visit, the old streets are just full of character.
Overall a great memorable holiday and a super introduction to Sicily

Room Tip: I would pay the extra for a sea view the next time, as there really is no view at the rear of the ho...
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
5  Thank nififer
Reviewed May 3, 2012

Stayed in this hotel for 1 week at the end of April. Obviously it was out of season and hence for at least half of our stay the hotel was largely empty. Staff in the hotel especially in the bar, restaurant and cleaning staff were very friendly, despite the hotel largely catering for Italian, German and French visitors. Any of the entertainment staff only speak "pidgeon" English and there is no on-site entertainment in English(and certainly not Irish). Not that this matters as the entertainment is all amateur..The food is rather basic, so if you are on Half board as we were, it is acceptable, but nothing to write home about. There is free WiFi available to all guests, so provided you have your laptop with you, happy days. However there is NO INTERNET ROOM where you can access a PC/ pay to have access, so if you are like me and you dont bring a Laptop with you on holidays, but need access for business purposes to the internet, then forget it. I drew this lack of facilities to the attention of the Receptionist and she was largely uninterersted, despite the earning potential for the hotel and guests satisfaction. I do hope to be proved wrong in time to come as I had to get a taxi to Cefalu to authorise Paroll for the staff over the internet as I couldnt do so in the hotel.I did ask if I could use a PC in the Hotel- and this drew a very firm NO. So I was not inclined to possibly ask a resident guest.

The hotel is comfortable(probably 3 star as opposed to 4 star). As it was out of season only the bar in the hotel was open and none of the other bars/restaurants open. The Hotel is appr 5 miles from Cefalu- a lovely small town and quite unspoiled and they are doing what they can to preserve a lot of the old town and its historic buildings. There are a number of very nice restaurants(slightly on the most expensive side) in the town with wonderful sea views. There is a coach which will bring guests back and forth approx 4 times each day at a nominal fee which saves on Taxi fares. There is a free courtesy bus on the hour to the beach which is about a mile away.

Again as we were out of season, most of the guests were 65+. I expect that the age profile does change in high season. All told the experience was nice, but Im not sure we would return for repeat visit. If you are planning a visit, do look up Kefatur for any Airport Transfers. We used them both directions and they were reasonable and the ower and his wife were both very pleasent indeed and I would recommend them Highly(kefatur.it) and they also do tours

Room Tip: WIfi only - No internet room
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank DublincoupleLucan
Reviewed September 28, 2011

best holiday for a long time am very impressed food good and hotel well worth a visit

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled with friends
2  Thank julieg119
Reviewed September 26, 2011

I have just come back from a lovely week in Sicily at the Costa verde hotel. I initially was quite worried when I started reading through the reviews on here and can only conclude that if you do not do your research when you book a holiday anywhere you will only be disappointed. I had a wonderful time and would definately go back.

Cefalu is new to English tourism and yes admittedly very few locals and staff speak English, it doesn't mean that they don't try and in general we found that if you try to make a little effort everyone is very friendly. The Costa verde is out if the town and a 5 minute bus journey from the hotel, it costs you €3.30 for a return and they stop during lunchtime in the same way that the local shops shut for lunch. To be honest Cefalu town is so busy I was quite glad to not be staying central to it. The hotel has a regular bus service to the beach too.

The reception area is clean and spacious, the bar staff friendly and prices in line with the UK, the pool is cleaned twice a day, activities on offer range from Pool exercise to archery and the Animation team (albeit a bit cheesey) are constantly on the go and very inclusive. Much of the evenings entertainment is French/Italian but, when your a minority nationality that cannot be helped. In all honesty I quite liked being in the minority as it contributed to the sense of being on holiday to experience culture.

The room was clean and comfortable. There was a small fridge which, proved to be very handy and lovely beds. The TV can only be used with a remote which, you get from reception and have to pay a small deposit for. We were ok as we were always out and from what I heard most of the channels are Italian.

Food is very good, hot and there is a fair amount of variety. If you like seafood you'll love it! Its all buffet so you can always find something to eat. The bar doesn't sell any snacks but, there is a supermarket in Cefalu town and with the fridge it makes it pretty easy to make a quick sandwich. The house wine is lovely and the Waiters are all really helpful and chirpy.

I really, really, really cannot understand the bad reviews. Its suited me fine and I will definately go back.

Room Tip: Ask for something that isnt higher than the 5th floor due to the funny lift.
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled with friends
9  Thank meow_kins
Reviewed September 20, 2011

We had a great holiday here. The staff were friendly and many of them spoke english.
Our room was spacious and very clean. We thought the food was very good. There was always plenty of choice at lunch and dinner. Our children ate well here because there was always something that they liked and because it was buffet food they were trying new things. There was less choice at breakfast but we all still ate and enjoyed it.
The hotel isn't within walking distance of shops or restaurants but because we were full board this did not bother us. The only negative thing about this is that the hotel doesn't do money exchange. You have to go into Cefalu to do this but they have a regular bus service so it was fine. We always got a sunbed by the pool because you were not allowed to reserve them early and our children enjoyed going to the waterpark just down the road. This hotel is spacious and immaculate. We were sold this hotel as a 3 star through our holiday company but it exceeds any 3 star that i've stayed in before. It lives up to it's official 4 star rating in very many ways.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family