“Should have gone elsewhere”

Ristorante La Cantina
Good for: Families with children, Large groups, Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Drogheda, Ireland
“Should have gone elsewhere”
Reviewed October 8, 2013

We were on the last day of our holiday and what an awful end it was. We should have known that a busy restaurant is not always a good sign. Service was dire. Spacing of courses was far too long. I could go on. The waiters and waitresses were going around like headless chickens.

• Visited October 2013
1 Thank TJM141
SusannaS518, Direttore at Ristorante La Cantina, responded to this review, October 9, 2013
Dear Mr./Mrs TJM141,

we are very sorry that you didn't feel good in our restaurant and that you waited a long time.

We made a mistake with your order and the first courses didn't arrive together and at the right moment.

Perhaps if you told us that day about the problem we could have done something to solve it. It is very important for us to give the client a good service; usually our guests are satisfied with our food and service, somethimes some problem occurs but are aim is to solve it while the client is still at the restaurant.

We remain at your disposal for any further information,
best regards,

Susanna

Birmingham, United Kingdom
“Perfect pizzas”
Reviewed October 8, 2013

We (2 aunties and 2 nieces) ate at this restaurant several times during our week in Castiglione del Lago. As we visited out of season the restaurant wasn't too busy but was almost full every day. The service we received was good, no waiting to be served and food arrived in 10-15 minutes. The staff were extremely attentive and enormously apologetic when one of us did not have a serviette on the table. The rosemary flatbread you get served on arrival is beautiful.

The pizzas here are amazing (and cheap at 5-10 Euros) and you can watch them being cooked in the pizza oven. they serve pizzas from 12.30 right through to the evening. We also had risottos, lamb, cheese, chips, salad, meatballs, pici (local pasta) as well as nearly every pizza on the menu!!

We tried several of the desserts and all were delicious. They also have a good choice of wines and fruit juices (green apple was our favourite).

One thing to note is that the Primi Plati (first courses) are designed to be eaten as part of a meal with multiple courses so can be quite small.

I can't say a bad thing about this place!

• Visited October 2013
Otorohanga, Waikato, New Zealand
“Great food + great service”
Reviewed September 30, 2013 via mobile

We randomly walked into this restaurant having not read reviews on it, and I'm glad we did because it was wonderful!

The fact that it was the 29th September (shoulder season) and 7pm (earlier than the crowds), may have impacted our experience because we had none of the issues others have had. The service was extremely attentive- no waiting to place an order or receive food.

We enjoyed the complimentary flatbread, my husband loved the sausage and had a very tasty pici pasta dish. Somehow we also fit in a chocolate cheesecake for dessert and it was incredible!

It was raining so we ate inside, therefore wasn't able to appreciate the terrace or views of the lake.

Based on our experience, I encourage you to try this place- it was one of our favourites in our 4 day stay in Castiglione del Lago.

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
“Great view, food ok, but service ordinary”
Reviewed September 23, 2013

We wanted to try a typical restuarant that served fresh water fish. The choice of La Cantina was based on location and menu - we should have read some of the reviews before going.
The view of Lago di Trasimeno is great, but the service was very ordinary. We had to wait ages to be served and once the order was placed the waiters disappeared.
The food once it arrived was OK but nothing to rave about.
If you want a view of the lake, I would suggest buy a pannini and then head down to one of the parks along the lake front.

Padua, Italy
“What a DISAPPOINTMENT”
Reviewed September 23, 2013

This place looked promising with its welcoming open terrace on a fine sunny day . We were about the fifth table to arrive for lunch . We were served our drinks promptly . We ordered simple dishes , two plates of pasta , with two salads.
The restaurant filled up quite quickly with about 50 to 60 guests and it became quite a struggle for the two waitresses to keep up. The drinks guy was doing a fine job as well . Half an hour passed we had finished our bread, wine, water and began to wonder if christmas would come before our spaghetti . The frustrated waitress did not want to come near our table and when we finally flagged her down , we were told she will check in the kitchen . About 15 minutes later our salads arrived . Then we waited and waited and waited again . We had an appointment at 2.30 and could no longer wait, should we make it on time. We told the server we have only ten minutes more then we have to leave. I got up to pay the bill to a more senior lady who had been previously fluttering around chitty chattering with clients without really doing anything constructive let alone controlling what was going on in the dining terrace.
As i began to pay my bill , refusing to pay for what we did not receive , the plates of pasta were on their way to our now vacated table. I know things get mixed up , dockets and orders get lost and when people are under stress and busy anything can happen . The secret is in how staff handle the situation. Everyone arriving after us was served first . The lady cashier who I assumed was in charge or al least responsible informed me no one was in charge , she could not take responsibility for what happened , they were busy and short staffed..DUH OBVIOUSLY ... Now if this was my restaurant I would be sorry , these people were not. If this was my restaurant I would not charge the people anything ... I paid for what we had , an incomplete meal , that left us hungry and angry. This place needs to lift its game and hire more people to serve. A supervisor or responsible person is a must , and I am sure if the cashier lady or wait staff was on the ball and really cared about the customers they would have picked it up early on in the game that there was a table waiting for over one hour for food to arrive. These people are unprofessional. I can't say much about the food , we had salad and bread.

• Visited September 2013
SusannaS518, Direttore at Ristorante La Cantina, responded to this review, September 28, 2013
Dear Mrs Saskiagrav,

we are very sorry for what happened, it was our fault.

After your lunch, my staff told me about what happened: we gave you a bad service. Your order got lost not because of too many clients, we are used to, but only because of an error of the printer, error that of course shoul not happen.

Than the waitress didn't care enough about your table and the lady who was at the cashier gave you a wrong explanation; she is not the manager, but she was in that moment responsible for what was happening.

We are a big group with many activities and I cannot be everywhere in each moment, but all the staff has a specific rule: the problem must be solved in that moment for example calling me by phone, I am always easily found and available, or making a discount to the client. You should have not paid the salads and drinking, this was another error we made.

Usually our clients are satisfied with our food and service; sometimes some problem occurs but we should always be able to solve it in that moment.

I remain at your disposal for any further information,

best regards,