“Wonderful find on a thundery afternoon”

Osteria Alla Piazza
Cuisines: Italian, Mediterranean
Good for: Scenic view, Romantic, Large groups, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Kids, Business meetings, Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Off-Street Parking, Free Wifi, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
London, England, United Kingdom
“Wonderful find on a thundery afternoon”
Reviewed August 3, 2013

We came across Osteria Alla Piazza on a drive through Chianti and what a great find! Our group of 10 arrived early for lunch without reservations but were graciously accommodated on the pretty outside patio. The patio quickly filled but when the weather turned thundery, the staff sprang into action and moved us all to the lovely indoor dining room before it started to pour rain. Lunch was excellent, in particular the boar stew and the pumpkin/ricotta filled pasta (amazing!). Wonderful meal, service and ambiance. I highly recommend!

• Visited July 2013

• Finnish first
Portsmouth, United Kingdom
“Great place”
Reviewed July 29, 2013 via mobile

What a wonderful place, excellent views of the Tuscan hills from the terrace. Food was excellent and will be going back again before heading home - this place is a MUST!

• Visited July 2013
1 Thank Dave15884
pittsburgh
“Spectacular Meal from a Young Chef”
Reviewed July 28, 2013

On our last visit to Chianti, we reserved our next to last night at Osteria alla Piazza. We had dined there about 10 years ago and liked the view and decided to take our friends who had never been to the restaurant. We were a little leery since we had heard they had a new chef since our last visit. What a pleasant surprise we had that Thursday evening. The menu was spectacular and the food preparation was inventive and absolutely delicious. One of our friends ordered the filet with a balsamic vinegar reduction. The other three of us commented on why he would order a filet with all the other great Italian dishes on the menu. We all enjoyed our meal and our friend asked if we would like to taste his filet. Well, let me explain just how good it was. We had a reservation for our final dinner in Chianti at a restaurant in Panzano the following night. At breakfast the next morning, we all looked and each other and said the same thing, let's cancel the reservation in Pazano and go back to Osteria alla Piazza for our last meal. We had the same waitress and she was shocked to see up back. Our friend who had the filet the night before ordered a great fish preparation. The other three of us ordered the filet with the balsamic vinegar reduction. We cannot wait to return next May...perhaps even more than once!

• Visited May 2013
“Great antipasto dishes”
Reviewed July 28, 2013 via mobile

We stopped by here first for lunch and went back for dinner the next night as it was delicious and there were many things I wanted to try. For lunch I had an antipasto only. It was a pear baked with Gorgonzola and bacon. Probably one of the most delicious things I've ever put in my mouth. My husband had the pappardelle with wild boar, also good. As we were leaving a woman next to us ordered the eggplant "pudding" with truffles. THIS smell is what made me come back for dinner. It was divine. My husband had the bean soup which was fine, but a bit lackluster. Our pastas for dinner were good, but nothing I couldn't make at home. I agree with other reviewers who said the service lacked that gracious Italian hospitality. Felt like they were doing us a favor by serving us. It was more on the expensive side too given. Overall, I'd say go have the antipastos for lunch, skip the rest.

Visited July 2013
Oakton, Virginia
“Exquisite food”
Reviewed July 25, 2013 via mobile

We walked in without a reservation and were promptly seated on a magnificent patio overlooking hills and vineyards - an impeccable site. The food matched the setting. I had an eggplant/truffle flan as a starter which was one of the best dishes (the best dish?) I had in three weeks in Italy. My boar stew secondi was also outstanding. Every other dish ordered by my party of four was excellent and we can be rather discriminating/picky diners. The only criticism would be that the service, while gracious, was less than immediate, but in such an idyllic location, that may actually be a plus. Overall the cost is somewhat higher than other restaurants in the area, but represented a reasonable value given the food and setting.

Visited July 2013