“some of the best food ever eaten”

Antica Trattoria La Torre
Good for: Business meetings, Kids, Families with children, Romantic, Large groups, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Buffet, Delivery, Digital Payments, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Description: The Stiaccini family owners of the ancient restaurant Trattoria "La Torre" have been actively operating for nearly a century . Five generations have dedicated Themselves to providing their guests With typical Tuscan cooking based on simplicity of preparation and discriminating use of the best products available in Chianti. The base ingredientes of their dishes are typical of the Chianti region: Wine, oil, free range foWl, Wild game, lamb and pork, beef from nearby Valdichiana, fresh local produce and wild mushrooms. Their traditional dishes are accompanied by a vast selection of the best Chianti Classico wines.
nannerch
“some of the best food ever eaten”
Reviewed August 15, 2013

the food here is authentic tuscan food served in a wonderful setting ( we ate inside, not on the terrace). I can highly recommend the carabaccia soup and the arista di miale ( roast pork) .
my wife had the crostini neri ( excellent and the Pollo -- roast chicken.
the service is attentive but not in your face and the wine list is very good and reasonably priced.

this is a must visit place if you travel through the tuscan countryside.

• Visited August 2013

• Hungarian first
  • Polish first
Reigate, United Kingdom
“Would recommend. Best meal so far”
Reviewed August 5, 2013 via mobile

Our two daughters and us had lunch here and like many tourists who visit castellina, we just stumbled across it. Our meal was absolutely delicious and good service but like a lot of restaurants in Italy, we had to wait a bit for the bill. Would return but clearly the mixed reviews would make me tjink whether to chance my a twice!

• Visited August 2013
Doha, Qatar
“Ok food nice location”
Reviewed July 27, 2013 via mobile

This place has a nice position in town and looks lovely. We were part of a large group which seemed to be a hassle for the staff. Every time they brought food out they yelled out the name, rolled eyes, seemed angry, grumpy, threw the food down and walked off in a huff. Felt like we weren't welcome. This obviously takes away from the enjoyment of the food. Portion size were very small for the cost, the roasted meats were just 2 small slices for the best part of 20e. I had the mixed grill with vegetables for 20e which anyone could do on a BBQ, the meat was dry and needed a sauce. Oh well might have been a bum night but not in a hurry to return.

Visited July 2013
Caracas
“Abusive waiters, I am still in shock!”
Reviewed July 10, 2013 via mobile

So here is what happened: we are staying in a marvelous rental house in Castellina. We decided to go out to town to have a leasure walk. I see La Torre, really old style trattoria in the piazza and I look at the menu. It turns out they have polenta alla boscaiola as antipasti. Polenta is one of my favorite dishes and it reminds me of my passed Italian grandma. I told hubby to go in and have some polenta with a glass of wine. He was not hungry and tells me to go in anyway so I can eat it, we would not eat but sit with me. There was going to be a concert in the piazza so I figured I could eat it and possibly we could stay longer drinking wine and listening to the concert. There were PLENTY tables available. I asked for one polenta, a glass of wine and a big water and the waiter very rudely says NO! You cannot seat and just order polenta. We explained in perfect Italian (they cannot claim it was language issue) that hubby was not planning on eating, that I really wanted to eat polenta with wine and that we would likely order dessert and that we were paying for it! He continued to say NO quite rude and checked witht another guy even more rude and they both said no that we had to ordertwo dishes. The stubborn in us, we were not moving so we said ok bring two polentas and they had to say ok (though I hate to through food away I wanted to teach them a lesson). They brought the usual bread which we did not eat, I had my wine, the water, one polenta (too big to eat two of course) and paid with zero tip. They missed us buying a bottle of wine or prosecco and eating dessert.

The crazy part is that they do charge you 2.50 euro per person just to have the table (the usual bread charge and we were not complaining about it) so if there are tables free why is that they VERY rudely want to force you to buy two dishes, what if I was alone? Isn't that the same thing ? Wasn't I paying for the food and wine I was ordering (including the bread charge?). Why the rudeness? Why have this attittude if the tables were not occuppied? What if I am and vegetarian with a gluten sensitivity and cannot eat pasta or beef but have no issues with polenta beause it is made from corn???? Because they are ABUSIVE is the only answer I can find. You put a price to a dish that I am assumming gives you profits so I, as the customer, have a right to eat what I want.

It was quite dissapointing because the place looked nice and we were planning to have a full dinner today but of course there's no way I am going back!

Visited July 2013
1 Thank IraVergani
Iowa
“Best meat on our vacation”
Reviewed June 29, 2013

We were staying in a nearby villa and had reservations for Tuesday evening. We arrived for a 7:30 dinner and all was ready for our party of 6. The service was not fabulous as it was kind of work to get the waiter's attention for anything including the bill. The food was pretty good. My husband had a chef's meat plate of some kind for about 22 Euros but it was a plate of well cooked very tasty meat including a beef fillet, pork steak, a sausage, and some vegetables. The flavor and tenderness was excellent. (We find that it is not easy to find affordable good meat in Italy as mostly you find cold meats or meats in pasta sauce.) I had a tasty pasta and mushroom plate. Our kids had pasta with butter and fresh parmesian again. The local red wine was very good. We skipped desert and got gellato from a extremely happy employee down the street. The town was very relaxed and while we didn't leave until 9:30 there was still plenty to do.

• Visited June 2013