“Took my breath away”

Towers Hotel Stabiae Sorrento Coast
Ipswich, United Kingdom
“Took my breath away”
Reviewed November 1, 2012

I can say without contradiction that as a driver I cordially detest the roads to and from Sorrento. After a nerve crunching drive, I suddenly saw this hotel from a distance standing like a fortress by the sea. Getting in is extraordinary as you have to turn what look like the wrong way to get in and access is via a tunnel under the road on which you have arrived. You feel like it is a fortress - think Alcatraz) as well with a vast "Cancello" (metal gate) which looks as though you were entering a nuclear bunker! Indeed the car parks reinforce that feeling. park first as there is little manoeuvre room at the reception. Once inside for almost the first time in a Crowne Plaza in Italy I was actually welcomed with the word Welcome or Ben Venuto (the other was Casserta). I was given a beautiful room. It was a really a suite. There was a vestibule that led to the main room which was beautifully appointed, I had an enormous bed and there was a door that led to a very large balcony - arguably one of the largest that I have ever enjoyed. There were bottles of water and an excellent selection of tea and coffee (no milk curiously - this was corrected when I found the beverage lady in the corridor the next day). I was a little anxious about the level of noise in the room as it was quite near the road with the incessant traffic. I then found that no one door or window was properly shut and that when they were closed - noise was no longer an issue. The temperature controller worked well and I slept like a log. the only niggle was that the WiFi was not operating. I was promptly told that this was not the Hotel's fault but that of the Provider. I understand but I really am tired of hotels of his calibre not providing proper WiFi in each room that they run and administer. In this day and age routers are not that dead - so come along! I would also mention that the balcony was absolutely wonderful but unfortunately immediately overhead in the Towers pigeons are roosting with the rear end poking outward. The subsequent mess you can imagine on the balcony! It is also a health hazard and the hotel should have netting up - albeit high - to stop this. I did point this out to a chamber maid to her seeming indifference.

I would add that the people on the reception desk - I should say person as there was only one at a time - were very pleasant if rather run off their feet (it needed two) but they had good language skills and were most helpful, polite, and friendly. There was a big friendly dog who seemed to sleep a lot - I'm a dog lover and I warmed to the place even more. People are people and we most of us love animals - I'm pleased the the hotel does as well.

The bathroom was beautifully modern - the shower and bath were kidney shaped and everything was terribly modern - there was a huge overhead shower and a smaller one by the taps which resembled a huge Water Pic and which was most effective.. Again I was at a loss for a bath mat and suspected that whoever had prepared the room had done so in a hurry leaving certain things unfinished. Nevertheless the water was hot and everything that you needed other than this were present.

I had dinner in the restaurant and can confirm that it was delicious and given that there is nowhere else to go( unless you brave the traffic and the non existence of anywhere to park) not dear. I thoroughly enjoyed the meal and the very friendly staff in the restaurant..

The architecture here is amazing - the pool area (there is no beach really) is quite beautiful in a modernistic way. I understand that this used to be a factory - and I give Crowne Plaza two thumbs up for use of this building so imaginatively . I would love to go back when I have more time and enjoy more. Truthfully the drawback is its location as it is convenient to nowhere unless you have a car to go and explore but that said I have stayed in many Crowne Plaza hotels and it gives me pleasure to recommend to all this Crowne Plaza to all without hesitation.

Room Tip: Rooms looking out to sea are quieter
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
3 Thank PAULWOODS1

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (152)
Huntington, New York
Reviewed October 30, 2012

Had a great stay at the US brand hotel. Really was hesitant to miss the Sorrento experience by staying at a US hotel but after a B and B in Siena and a really bad B and B choice in Sant' Angelo, we were really pleased with the amenities. Everything was clean and modern. The bed was comfortable. The bathroom ample and modern. The TV received CNN and Fox news (especially important since we are NYers and Hurricane Sandy was hitting NY). Convenient location to get to Sorrento, Pompei, Amalfi.

Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank LIBoomer
Massena, New York
Reviewed October 22, 2012

I had the misfortune of staying at the Crowne Plaza on a trip to Italy. although the resort is right on the sea it is hard to get anywhere. they run a shuttle into nearby Sorrento but it comes back only twice a night at 7:30 or 11:00Pm not convenient. Rooms were big. If you have trouble walking I would not recommend this resort. The curtains were dirty and the bathtubs are hard to get into because they are so high. I was traveling with an elderly aunt who could not get into the tub. The food at the restaurant was also not good. The internet which was free was not working. I would not recommend this hotel because of it's isolation.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank travelcrazy51
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Towers Hotel Stabiae Sorrento Coast, responded to this review, November 16, 2012
Dear travelcrazy51,

Thank you for posting a review of our property. I am deeply sorry for the issues you had with your room accommodations and the food we offer in our on-site restaurant. I am also sorry the shuttle service and our Internet access fell below your expectations. Your feedback is very important to us as this assists us in continually improving the services and facilities we have to offer to our guests. Thank you for staying and we hope you give us another chance to show you how great our hotel is.

Anthony M
Case Manager
IHGCare
Horsham
Reviewed October 20, 2012

The best three days I can remember. The view from this hotel across the Bay of Naples is mesmerising - it almost wouldn't matter was else was on offer! We got upgraded to a Superior room with a full sea view and a free bottle of Asti - delivered to our room when they learned it was our Anniversary. It probably helped that in Mid October the Hotel was hardly full!. The location is great for Sorrento, Amalfi and Pompei and although we did rent a car, the railway serves all of those places in half an hour from the local stop. The staff were very laid back and if you expected instant efficiency in all things, well, maybe choose another country. What they were was charming, friendly, obliging and well meaning. It was a good feeling all round - just try not to be in a hurry. They kept the restaurant open for us when we were late arriving and the food is excellent - no bar menu though - just the full restaurant service. Lovely pool by the way and boat trips along the peninsular for the day from the Hotel pier. If you do rent a car, you need to be prepared for the cut and thrust of Italien driving. They're not aggressive, just very fast and skillful - to compensate for the unimaginably terrible roads! I would go back to this hotel any time but possibly early or late to avoid the crowds. I'm not sure I would want to be in this region in July or August. Breakfast is a buffet so plenty of it but nothing special. Amalfi is a dream - have a late dinner in the main Piazza - shops in tiny alleyways, beautiful architecture and all stuck to a 500 metre cliff face. Go by boat to avoid the hair-raisng drive!

Room Tip: You must pay a little more and have the full sea view - probably not so good to be nearer the main r...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Spladoodlefish
Adare, Ireland
Reviewed October 17, 2012

Before I visited this hotel I checked reviews and they were very varied. The hotel is in a wonderful location but some people might find it remote. However there is a very good shuttle bus which leaves from and returns to hotel for Vico Equense train station twice a day and they are very accommodating. You can travel from this train station on the Circumvesuviana line which includes Naples to Sorrento and Pompeii Scavia and many beautiful towns in between. Most of the staff were very friendly and helpful (especially the reception staff). However the restaurant staff not so and the dinner menu was not great and I had already read that on trip advisor. The nearest town is Castellammare Di Stabia and is a bit run down. The road near the hotel is very busy and much too dangerous to walk so unless you have a car or take taxi you will find it too remote. I had read all the above on reviews. As we did not have a car we used the shuttle bus and train services and we also met a very friendly taxi driver in Castellammara who we used every day he seemed to appear every time we needed him. Unfortunately we did not get his name but he was invaluable. The hotel rooms were very large and comfortable with beautiful views of Vesuvius and the Bay of Naples. The hotel was quite and ideal for a relaxing break. We got a very good deal for two rooms with connecting hallway for the five days last October and would recommend it to anyone for quiet holiday. The indoor pool was cold and not very enticing but the outdoor pool was lovely but last October was not warm enough. It is advertised as an infinity pool but it is not. The "beach" area is pebbly and not very enticing either.

Room Tip: I chose a room with view of Mount Vesuvius and I think most of the rooms are facing towards Vesuvius...
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
London
Reviewed October 6, 2012

My boyfriend and I stayed here at the end of September after finding a good deal online, and would recommend it to anyone looking for a good base in between Naples and Sorrento.

After reading reviews on here we were worried about not hiring a car, but if you're prepared to pay €90 to/from the airport, the hotel offers a free shuttle bus service into Sorrento (30mins away) and the nearby town of Vico Enquense (10mins away) - just make sure you book your seats in advance (we never had a problem with this!).

Our room was lovely with great views of Mount Vesuvius from the balcony. The pool area was very relaxing and never crowded. With regard to food, there was lots to choose from at breakfast. At both lunch and dinner the restaurant offered the same menu throughout the duration of our stay and although we would have liked more variety, the food, wine and service were all very good.

We would recommend you check with the hotel if there are any strikes planned (usually Friday mornings), as they caused huge traffic jams from Castellammare di Stabia town centre to the hotel.

Overall, a lovely hotel and holiday and we'd really recommend a visit to Pompei and the Isle of Capri.

Room Tip: Rooms with balconies offer fantastic views of Mount Vesuvius.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Laueliz
Brussels, Belgium
Reviewed October 5, 2012

Overall atmosphere of the hotel is relaxing and stylish, the views on Naples bay and the Vesuvius are amazing, good breakfast, rooms are very clean. Service is extermely friendly. Would definitely go back. The hotel is well situated at 20min drive from the center of Sorrento, but the hotel offers a complimentary convenient shuttle service (make sure to book as limited seats).

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Hilton Sorrento Palace
Hilton Sorrento Palace
#34 of 100 in Sorrento
4.5 of 5 bubbles 3,069 reviews

Been to Towers Hotel Stabiae Sorrento Coast? Share your experiences!