“Almost as good as Pompeii”
Review of Scavi di Stabia

Scavi di Stabia
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“Almost as good as Pompeii”
Reviewed December 22, 2012

It was so interesting to be able to walk through these villas and see how the wealthy Romans lived. You can't actually do that in Pompeii. Yes, a caretaker did guide us but he showed us things that we might not have seen. My husband knows some Spanish and was able to understand a lot of things he said. We decided at the end of the "tour" that he probably wanted to keep an eye on the tourists so that walls and other items weren't vandalized. Most amazing was a little square "pool" that was built next to the kitchen where live fish were kept until needed for a meal. My husband, a former archeologist, felt that Stabia was actually more interesting than Pompeii.

Visited October 2012
5 Thank BabyDriver51

• Polish first
Canberra, Australia
40 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 58 helpful votes
“Peaceful chance to study some Roman villas”
Reviewed July 31, 2012

After a full day at Pompeii, a few hours spent without tourist at the Scavi di Stabia were welcome. A little tricky to find, but once in the correct place it was fascinating to walk around Villa San Marco, an immense Villa complex being restored and protected. Only a small portion is available to visit, however it is worth it to see the remains of what frescos were left from when it was originally excavated in the 18th century.

The rooms, mosaic floors and frescos are well preserved, despite the best having been removed when discovered. There was only one other couple when we were there, making it a great change from the crowds of Pompeii the day before.

1 kilometre further down the road is the Villa Arianna; overlooking the sea on the ridgeline, there are many well preserved rooms and frescos here well worth seeing. We were met by a caretaker who started taking us on a tour unrequested. Speaking in only Italian, it was interesting even if not so easy to follow it all. His tour was a little overwhelming overall, and we eventually asked him to allow us to continue on our own. He asked for a 'small gift' for his tour, before leaving.

If your understanding is not great, it would be better to be up front about this despite him showing us many things that we otherwise would have missed. It was a really worthwhile stop.

In the immediate are are market gardens, some selling fruit and vegetables at roadside stalls that provides the opportunity to buy some fresh produce.

Visited July 2012
3 Thank Flashduck
UK
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Roman villas”
Reviewed June 11, 2012

Within walking distance are Roman villas destroyed in the eruption of 79AD. The opulence of the villas and the wealth of the Romans who stayed in them is overwhelming. Well worth a visit.

Visited June 2012
1 Thank Simon C
Bulgaria
13 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 30 helpful votes
“Need of more information”
Reviewed May 28, 2012

I found the place by luck. An italian very kind man stoped me as he understood that I am not an italian and kindly asked me did I visit the arheological attraction. When I said NO, but I would love to see and learn more, he give me directions and I found the place. It was nice to go around but I coudnt actually feel the time. May be some broshures or man who can tell few more words about that nice antient place.

Visited May 2012
1 Thank veni9
Basildon, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Scavi di Stabia”
Reviewed January 13, 2012

Great but I cant really remember I know it was excellent

Visited June 2011