“Great views”

Ranked #1 of 27 things to do in Cassino
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: Founded by St. Benedict in 529, this abbey has suffered devastation many times but has been magically recreated.
Reviewed June 4, 2013

Well worth the drive up - beautiful views over the valley and a fabulous atmospheric place. Hard to believe that the Abbey had to be rebuilt after WWII

Write a ReviewReviews (1,527)

Reviewed May 29, 2013

This is definitely worth a visit. We stopped there for a few hours on a Saturday our way from Naples to Florence. The drive up the mount was a little hairy but not unsafe. Once there, the sacred zone is peaceful and quietly beautiful. The view from the abbey makes you feel you are so high up and so close to the sky. There was a small fee to park and there were clean restrooms in the parking are to use before you go in. There is a fee for the museum. There is also a bookstore and a small store with soaps and honey and such.

Reviewed May 29, 2013

After 3 days in Rome, the visit to Monte Cassino was a welcome pleasure. My father fought in Cassino in WW2 and spoke passionately about the town, the people, the Abbey and his friends that remained here having lost their lives. After so many of his stories, it became almost a pilgrimage for me. I expected a lot from my visit and it exceeded everything I could have ever imagined.

Monte Cassino dominated the landscape for many miles around and its easy to see why this was such a strategic wartime position. We arrived early on a beautiful sunny morning, and my advice is to do the same, before the flocks of coach tours descend.

What stunned me straight away was the total tranquility of the place. It was like walking into a different world, as the peacefulness washed over me. It was an incredible feeling and one that I have never before experienced. The building itself is dramatic, with much of the lower part of the building recovered and restored. Some parts of the building are from the original abbey before it was destroyed in WW2. Outside, the gardens are so beautiful and so quiet. Again, the total serenity seems to have a power in this place. White doves grace the gardens and compliment the beauty perfectly.

Our guide was the wonderful Danila Bracaglia, who I cannot recommend enough (find her on tripadvisor). She introduced us to a friendly Monk who radiated with passion about the building, the history and his faith. A very inspiring man.

Inside the Abbey is splendid, with wonderful artwork, sculptures, marble and guilding.

We also visited the nearby Polish cemetery which is a 'must do'. Its a very sad place but at the same time uplifting. It's location is incredible.

After Rome, this was more than a welcome break. I enjoyed my time here more than anything I did in Rome, by a long, long way. I will return for the 70 years anniversary in May 2014.

1  Thank ajt_austria
Reviewed May 26, 2013 via mobile

We had a great visit, €2 to park and free to get in except for the museum which was about €5. The buildings and views are amazing, it's way to reach, especially with GPS. Well worth stopping if you going past.

Reviewed May 19, 2013

Beautiful place, even lots visitor's obviously not Italian but feel peaceful.
Grande, Bellissima e pace.