“Cyclists couldn't hope for more”
Review of Hotel Funivia

Hotel Funivia
Ranked #5 of 41 Hotels in Bormio
Warwick, United Kingdom
“Cyclists couldn't hope for more”
Reviewed August 2, 2013

A group of 7 of us could'nt have asked for more from Funivia in what was our best trip yet. Great rooms, amazing food through the day, incredible facilities (the bike room is a cycling geeks heaven) and the most amazing service from the staff. British Airways managed to temporarily lose two of our parties bikes but this was no problem at all thanks to the hotel. They quickly arranged top of the range bikes as well the the kit - shoes, helmet etc.

The riding is also unbeatable. Beautiful and challenging.

Room Tip: Preferably one facing the garden as is quieter.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Lee J

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (51)
  • Czech first
  • Hebrew first
Rockville, Maryland
Reviewed July 30, 2013

Hotel Funivia was wonderful. 3 weeks in cycling in Tuscany, the Lakes region and then the Alps and - from just about every standpoint, Hotel Funivia exceeded our expectations. The property is well-located in Bormio just off the main drag and backing up to a ski slope. The rooms were small but comfortable. But where the Hotel hits it out of the park is with their cycling-centric customer service.

They have a bike room where all of the guests bikes can be safely stored (24-hr video surveillance). The room has a full assortment of biking tools, stands and pumps. That alone made it worth the stay. But the cherry on top was the included dinners and breakfasts. usually, we like to go out to sample the local spots - but there was no need to do that here - the food was terrific - prepared by a cyclist chef who can clearly cook at least as well as he can ride - we had three great dinners at Funivia - nice and healthy after some long days in the saddle. Buffet type breakfast was excellent and they even made little sandwiches to take along with you on your rides.

Bormio is stunningly beautiful and the riding is bucket list quality. The Hotel comes with Ricardo who leads group rides every day except Sunday - all free of charge. My non-cycling wife and daughter found the hotel - despite its clear cycling focus - to be warm, friendly and comfortable.

And finally, the staff was truly outstanding. There is a happy hour every day with snacks and beers for when you get back from your ride. Can't think of a better place to return after a little ride up to the Stelvio or Gavia.

I have never been to cycling hotel before - but I will definitely be back to this one.

One thing worth noting is that you should request a room on the back side of the hotel - it's a little quieter than the front side - although I had zero problem sleeping with the cool mountain air wafting through the room at night and my room was on the side of the hotel.

Room Tip: see my tip in the review
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Glenwood, Maryland
Reviewed July 29, 2013

No question that Hotel Funivia lives up to its tag line "Stelvio Experience". They truly provide an all around experience that you will not soon forget. Hotel Funivia was the first leg of a cycling trip I planned for my 50th birthday that included Switzerland and France. After the trip was completed, I wished that I had spent the entire trip in Bormio at the Hotel Funivia. Of course not knowing if I would ever be able to return for such a trip, I had to ride the epic climbs near Bourg d’Oisains, but if I am lucky enough to return it will be to Italy. Everything (the roads, the scenery, the food, but especially the people) was superior in Bormio. From the time I first contacted Hotel Funivia to begin planning for this trip (nearly 2 years prior to my stay), they were responsive and helpful. I must have seemed a pest with all of my inquiries, but Anna was always prompt, courteous, helpful, and patient with her responses. When we arrived near midnight because of travel delays, Anna was there waiting to welcome us with a smile. Our bedrooms and baths were clean, modern, and comfortable. Even though Hotel Funivia describes all of the cycling exclusive services provided on their website, I honestly expected these services to be a bit hyped, but I soon found that Hotel Funivia was the real deal. I probably shouldn’t say this, but if Hotel Funivia had only provided half of the services they do, I would likely have still left happy and satisfied. I truly think that some of the things they do aren't necessary, but they do them and your experience is oh so enhanced as a result. Having your kit washed and ready for the next day, delicious tea-time buffet, van supported rides, these are just a few of the little extras that make the stay special. The fact Daniele and his staff are waiting for you at the top every climb with a high-five and words of encouragement says everything about their dedication to your experience at the Hotel Funivia. They don’t need to be there, but they are (happily). I was one average cyclist there for 5 days out of the thousands of guest who pass through over the years, but they still make you feel special. For a few days you are part of the Hotel Funivia family of staff and guests, and you will have great memories for the rest of your life. Great job Hotel Funivia, I hope that I can return someday.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed July 23, 2013

My wife and I visited this hotel last year, and enjoyed it so much that we had to make stopover even though our plans was originally to be in France only. The rides that the hotel organises are extensive and challenging but their guides always ensures that we are never left behind and infact well looked after. At the end of the day, we also look forward to great food and wines :) Most importantly, the genuine warmth and the hospitality of all their staff (from reception, to restaurant, to bike guides, and especially the owners) completes a totally enjoyable cycling holiday.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank patchez01
Canberra, Australia
Reviewed July 20, 2013

Family of 4 stayed for cycling and sightseeing holiday in late June/early July 2013. We had an amazing time (we extended our stay). The hire bikes were high quality and a godsend when BA lost our bikes for several days in transit. The food was plentiful and lovely, the service in all areas was outstanding, and the free cycling clothes laundry service means you can turn up with very little kit. This is cyclists heaven - in addition to the tough well known local climbs, there are lovely rides for other days. The guided rides were fun . Everything at the hotel was smooth and every day a pleasure. The rooms are comfortable without being luxurious, and were kept clean. WiFi slow. If you are a cyclist looking for an Italian alpine experience - this is it.

Room Tip: First or second floor facing their garden/back of hotel, but it was not noisy anywhere when we staye...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Dianna P
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 20, 2013

It's really, genuinely hard to imagine where the experience that this hotel provides for cyclists could be improved. I came here with a group of 8 friends in early June for a long weekend. The hotel by itself is of a good standard, unremarkable perhaps - but the hotel staff, whether involved in the cycling operation or not were unfailingly friendly, welcoming and polite. Nothing was too much trouble, and it felt as if we were being welcomed into their home.

For cyclists, the facilities were superb: overnight laundry service, fantastic post-ride afternoon tea, vehicle support if you need it (one of our party was stranded on the wrong side of the Stelvio with a blown tub and was rescued within 20 minutes); superbly equipped garage/workshop for assembling your bike, with help on hand from Daniele and team if you needed it; organised rides if you want them, good advice on route choice if you don't (proving critical for us in early June since the passes had barely opened); the team even drive ahead of your ride and take souvenir photos for you. Just perfect.

If you know the Alps then you will know why Bormio is such a great base for cycling. If not, then it's worth pointing out that two of the worlds great cycling climbs are literally within metres of the door: turn left for Stelvio, turn right for the Gavia.

A word on the food - I have bad memories of full-board at hotels so was somewhat dismayed to find that this was what the guy organising our party had arranged. No worries - the food was of an extremely high standard, I am certain we would have fared worse picking restaurants at random in the town, and I think I've only very, very rarely (and at great expense) eaten better Northern Italian food. Even the coffee machine for the breakfast buffet turned out top quality espresso and macchiato!

Nothing to do with the hotel - but if visiting for cycling, be sure to bring a wide range of clothing options. I was caught in a shower in a descent back to the hotel and was shilled to the bone - a bizarre sensation when the sun is out in the valley and the air temperature is 25 degrees!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Simon_Kenyon
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 17, 2013

7 of us travelled over from the UK for an Alpine cycling holiday and had an amazing time at the Funivia. The cycling service was excellent (daily guides, great rental bikes, free laundry service and incredible mountains). The hotel standard was excellent, the food great and the staff really helpful. We had a room on the first floor, which looked like it had recently been done out and was a bit quieter as it faced the back of the hotel, rather that on to the road.
There really aren't any faults I could think of, some people found the wifi a bit slow but that's really the most I can in terms of constructive criticism.
Highly recommended for all cyclists looking to challenge themselves on the big hills!

Room Tip: The back of the hotel is quieter. The rooms on the first floor look like they've recently been d...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends